How Delusional is Jon Fitch?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.com/2019/04/jon-fitch-says-ufc-kept-him-from-fighting-guys-like-rory-macdonald

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Rory MacDonald and Jon Fitch had three years of overlap in their UFC careers. They were both highly touted welterweights. So why didn’t they fight?

According to Fitch, the higher-ups blocked him from fighting young up-and-comers.

“(Former UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva said to (American Kickboxing Academy coach) ‘Crazy’ Bob (Cook) a while ago that they didn’t want to risk younger guys’ careers fighting me too early,” he told MMA Junkie. “So I fought a lot of guys who were really tough, who didn’t have names, who weren’t people they were planning on building.

After his draw with BJ Penn, the UFC gave Fitch rising contender Johny Hendricks.

Following the loss to Hendricks, Fitch fought Erick Silva in Brazil, when Silva was possibly the most hyped fighter in MMA. How delusional does Fitch have to be to believe that the UFC didn't want to "risk younger guys' careers'"?

Fitch is legit! I always had him in the top three of his weightclass.

Erik Silva was never the most hyped guy in MMA, he seemed like a promising talent but anything more is a sherdog meme. When did you ever see him or hear about him other than during a UFC broadcast or on here?

His draw with BJ is kindah problematic, legacy-wise...

Erik Silva was never the most hyped guy in MMA, he seemed like a promising talent but anything more is a sherdog meme. When did you ever see him or hear about him other than during a UFC broadcast or on here?
Rory was actually talkin´about him as a future rival for the UFC belt... He was watchin´him closely...

I always tune in for a Fitch Fight, but he has become a bit of a complainer....

How delusional does Fitch have to be to believe that the UFC didn't want to "risk younger guys' careers'"?

Not sure man, I didn't read what exactly he said but it's somewhat like that.

Same situation with Okami, Davis and Rosholt in their respectives weight classes. All the guys were top 10 with a style that can beat any young and exciting rising guy via a boredom decision.

TBF, any fight booker worth his salt would be a moron to give a rising star the most boring lay and pray, potential derailer of hype trains.

I'd actually give a prime Fitch (from maybe 10 years ago) some chance at beating Rory. He had pillow fists but still somewhat effective striking (see Thiago Alves fights). Also, the only D1 wrestler Rory faced was Woodley, who only tried one TD that I remember (he was successful, but Rory got up quickly). I'd still bet on current Rory, but he hasn't fought anyone quite like a young Fitch yet. 41-year old Fitch is a different story.

Not sure man, I didn't read what exactly he said but it's somewhat like that.

Same situation with Okami, Davis and Rosholt in their respectives weight classes. All the guys were top 10 with a style that can beat any young and exciting rising guy via a boredom decision.

Rosholt is one of the worst mma fighters of all time.

Rosholt is one of the worst mma fighters of all time.

Not at all, he is very limited but he beat a lot of UFC ranked fighters (at that time or later). So if he is one of the worst how should call the likes of Struve, Tim Johnson, Palelei, Walt Harris, Omielanczuk?

Not at all, he is very limited but he beat a lot of UFC ranked fighters (at that time or later). So if he is one of the worst how should call the likes of Struve, Tim Johnson, Palelei, Walt Harris, Omielanczuk?
Yeah UFC couldn't wait to get rid of Rosholt despite him having a good record, but honestly I understand why.

Last edited:
What on earth are you talking about? Go through Jon Fitch's odds history to get a sense of how people viewed Erick Silva.

https://www.bestfightodds.com/fighters/Jon-Fitch-3

In a three fight stretch, Fitch was a 2-1 favorite over Hendricks and Maia, but was a 2-1 underdog to Erick Silva. That's how good people thought Silva was at that time.

Literally from 2007- April 2016, Fitch has only been an underdog twice: To GSP and Erick Silva. Silva was considered unstoppable going into the Fitch fight.

I think at this age he is trying to seize his moments of what are most likely that last years of his career in mma. With his NCAA d 1 experience and all the top competition that he has faced I think he can make it a tough fight for rory. It may not be a pretty fight but I'm looking forward to this. Fitch is definatley going to look to ground macdonald and inflict damage and wear him down early

He’s a LnP bum.

What on earth are you talking about? Go through Jon Fitch's odds history to get a sense of how people viewed Erick Silva.

https://www.bestfightodds.com/fighters/Jon-Fitch-3

In a three fight stretch, Fitch was a 2-1 favorite over Hendricks and Maia, but was a 2-1 underdog to Erick Silva. That's how good people thought Silva was at that time.

Literally from 2007- April 2016, Fitch has only been an underdog twice: To GSP and Erick Silva. Silva was considered unstoppable going into the Fitch fight.

Broke Fitch was a monster.

this is excatly what the ufc didnt want fitch is 100% right. and yeah ufc thought silva was a bad matchup for fitch. remember he was the next anderson silva at that time

I still remember Fitch saying he cleared out one side of the division and Thiago Alves cleared out the other. I remember this because it was such a WTF statement because Alves beat the tougher opponents and Fitch beat the shittier guys including a Barney Rubble guy who clipped him and was probably not far from a TKO win.

People were all over Silvas nuts for awhile after his first couple UFC fights.

Back