How come you don't learn TDs in BJJ earlier?

Overall its true our takedowns are weak,it varys school to school,lucky for me my BJJ instructor has a Black Belt from Royce Gracie,and a BB in Judo,and is from Brazil. My takedowns are as good as a seasoned wrestlers. At least 4x out of the week I do just pure standup (Throws, take downs)

I didn't mentino wrestilng once in my original post just asked a legit question. If BJJ is all about ground fighting why don't they teach TDs (actually how to get a fight to the ground) in the beginning/throughout?

At our gym, we learn TDs from the begining. I think the reason most BJJ schools dont teach TDs early on is they hurt and they are harder. Its much harder to throw someone over your shoulder or foot sweep them than do a scissor sweep from your Guard. However sadly the wrestling fans do have an unfortuante point. BJJ for the most part, meaning in the case of most schools is all about the ground. Which is not what the original BJJ was, nor should it ever be. Pick a school where you do some real complete TDs. This does not mean Wrestling style takedowns alone. The BJJ school you choose should be teaching Throws as well as Takedowns. Use this clip as a reference. Just an example by the way, nothing else.

YouTube - Uchikomi at RDCC

Wrestling and takedowns are not necessarily the same thing, randomg1t. You don't have to be a good wrestler to have good takedowns.

that wasn't even the point of my post. what i was trying to say is that bjj is a groundfighting art. it has some takedowns but the emphasis is on fighting on the groundgame and if you wanna be good at getting the fight to the ground you should take wrestling/judo/whatever else focuses on getting it there.

i just don't get why people would complain about bjj not working takedowns enough "to get the fight to the ground". do people who take boxing/muay thai whine about why they don't train how to get back to their feet after being taken down?

If we go by the self defence argument that: most fights, either by accident or design, end up on the ground, I guess it makes sense to focus on the ground fighting aspect.

I am not saying that it is not a big advantage to have good takedowns, because it defiantly is. I had been training Judo for almost 2 years before my first BJJ competition. I was able to get the fight to the ground and get the top position fairly easily in both my fights. However, I was submitted anyway.

Although that amount of stand up varies from school to school, BJJ is a ground fighting system. I guess the simple answer is the takedowns are not the speciality of BJJ.

that wasn't even the point of my post. what i was trying to say is that bjj is a groundfighting art. it has some takedowns but the emphasis is on fighting on the groundgame and if you wanna be good at getting the fight to the ground you should take wrestling/judo/whatever else focuses on getting it there.

i just don't get why people would complain about bjj not working takedowns enough "to get the fight to the ground". do people who take boxing/muay thai whine about why they don't train how to get back to their feet after being taken down?

Nah cause that has nothing to do with striking, zero. Takedowns seems to be an important part of BJJ, you have to get TDs in competition.

Because training takedowns for a competition doesn't really make any sense when you think about it.

Takedowns are the only aspect of BJJ competition that is optional.

You have to know how to work from the bottom because you might get swept. You might have to know how to work from the top because you might get caught in guard. You gotta learn how to escape because someone will eventually put you in a bad spot.

Takedowns, you never have to do because you can always opt to just sitdown. People say buttscooting is a foul but there are ways around it.

If you don't believe me just google bjj competitions. I would say only 1 out of 5 or more even have TDs attempted. At any level.

Add to the fact that TD's are painful to train and more dangerous, not to mention that you can easily get to a very high level in BJJ without have much TD knowledge at all, and it's pretty easy to see how you can go a long time without an instructor even touching on them.

I think you are much more likely to see a Judo guy with good subs than a BJJ guy with solid takedowns. If anything, the percentage is the same.

Nah cause that has nothing to do with striking, zero. Takedowns seems to be an important part of BJJ, you have to get TDs in competition.

no you don't. and i was only responding to your claims that you need to be able to get the fight to the ground in order for the art to be effective.

well shit, i doubt boxers are any good off their back and i'm pretty certain it doesn't take much of a takedown artist to drag a boxer of any level to the ground, considering they never grapple.

^ what Calibur said, and when you go up against a guy whose game you don't know, he could be a killer wrestler or judo guy and you won't know it until he launches you. A lot of times it's better to just pull guard rather than risk it.

I still usually try to go for takedowns anyway though.

Because training takedowns for a competition doesn't really make any sense when you think about it.

Takedowns are the only aspect of BJJ competition that is optional.

You have to know how to work from the bottom because you might get swept. You might have to know how to work from the top because you might get caught in guard. You gotta learn how to escape because someone will eventually put you in a bad spot.

Takedowns, you never have to do because you can always opt to just sitdown. People say buttscooting is a foul but there are ways around it.

If you don't believe me just google bjj competitions. I would say only 1 out of 5 or more even have TDs attempted. At any level.

Add to the fact that TD's are painful to train and more dangerous, not to mention that you can easily get to a very high level in BJJ without have much TD knowledge at all, and it's pretty easy to see how you can go a long time without an instructor even touching on them.

I think you are much more likely to see a Judo guy with good subs than a BJJ guy with solid takedowns. If anything, the percentage is the same.

I dont understand why you would want to train BJJ only for the competitions. Wouldnt you want to learn a martial art in its entirety if you are taking the time to learn it? Pulling guard to me is admitting that you are not a complete grappler.

I dont understand why you would want to train BJJ only for the competitions. Wouldnt you want to learn a martial art in its entirety if you are taking the time to learn it? Pulling guard to me is admitting that you are not a complete grappler.

It is not about being the complete grappler. It is about winning a sport using its rules and points system.

You want to become the complete grappler: go train BJJ and Judo as well.

Now back to BJJ.

Your training depends on what you want out it.

BJJ has mediocre TKD training.
maybe just enought to TKD average joe on the streetz.

But a lot of guys just do have serious TKD skills for BJJ competition.

oh please who has the time and money to traind with that variety?

BJJ is still often taught as a martial art rather than a sport, and so the self defense aspects of it (survival on the ground, after a takedown) are typically emphasized earlier. Takedowns are basically offensive, so usually they are given lower priority in the curriculum at most BJJ schools. That said, I think more sport oriented schools will do takedowns at blue belt level and above.

One thing to note too is that in Brazil, many BJJ guys start out doing Judo or do it concurrently with their BJJ, so they get their TDs there. If you watch Brazilian BJJ tourneys most of the TDs are very 'Judo' style, at least in gi competition.

Some schools have specific training days for takedowns. I know my school has a wrestling take down day on Sunday evening and Monday evening. If you are worried about takedowns and clinching I would look at your school's schedule and find the day that you have Judo / Wrestling / or something like that.

Because some people view BJJ as a sport and not as a martial art. I do BJJ because I love the nature of the competition and it is a sport I can continue to compete in for a very long time.

I freely admit that I don't want to learn BJJ in its entirety. Self defense techniques are a part of BJJ and I don't care if I ever do another BJJ self defense technique or any technique that is not applicable to sport BJJ.

Also as a side not you can be good at takedowns and still pull guard. Pulling guard does not necessarily equal being poor at takedowns. I probably have more experience in takedowns than the majority of people I face in tournaments, but I always pull guard since my guard game is stronger than my top game.

It is not about being the complete grappler. It is about winning a sport using its rules and points system.

You want to become the complete grappler: go train BJJ and Judo as well.

Now back to BJJ.

Your training depends on what you want out it.

BJJ has mediocre TKD training.
maybe just enought to TKD average joe on the streetz.

But a lot of guys just do have serious TKD skills for BJJ competition.

I kept reading TKD as Tae Kwon Do... I was like LOL WUT???

I agree with you, it depends what you want out of it. I know the details of a small number of takedowns, enough to teach to my students, but not enough to use them confidently in competition against guys my level. I do BJJ, because I love competing, and rolling, and the constant learning curve. Not to be a "complete grappler".

I guess everyone really does have their own journey, you know?

I went to bjj from wrestling specifically because I wanted to be a "complete" grappler.

I went to bjj from wrestling specifically because I wanted to be a "complete" grappler.

I'd like to do some of that, vice versa-- without stopping my BJJ training.

The BJJ school I sometimes attend (I'm a Judo guy, catch a BJJ class when I can) does a Judo night every week and does a TD technique in class about 50% of the time. Breakfalls are a part of every warmup.

I really don't get the "OMFG people will get hurt if we practice takedowns!" thing. Breakfalls really aren't all that hard to learn and just making them part of your warmup routine is very, very easy to do.

As far as how good you are with TD's and using them in competition, even knowing a little bit about balance and body positioning on your feet will let you pull an opponent into a much more compromised position in guard or even right into a sweep. Even if you are most comfortable in guard, why allow them a chance to have good posture and control in your guard right from the off when you can break them down a bit first?

IDK... I just think a few minutes out of every class isn't much to ask for and can make a serious difference.

Back