How come you don't learn TDs in BJJ earlier?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by youngsteinel, Sep 11, 2010.

1. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

I was curious on this, why do they not teach takedowns earlier in BJJ? I read somewhere on the boards they don't teach takedowns until you are like a black belt (not sure if its true), but either way it has been shown in MMA that BJJ fighters dont have very good takedowns. BJJ is all ground fighting, and i say this because when i rolled for a few months we started on the mat in someones guard. But isn't it useless to teach ground fighting without teaching somenoe how to GET IT to the ground? This is not BJJ bashing i am just curious. Thanks, my first post in the grappling forum, hopefully there are some cool heads in here.

2. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Heavyweights ------>

3. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

thanks for the intelligent response

4. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

they teach takedowns from the moment you start training usually, the thing is you're not gonna have the same takedowns as someone who only trained wrestling

5. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Is this at all gyms? Because i took BJJ for 3 months and they didn't even talk about the standing(neutral) position and takedowns.

6. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

yeah wow bjj guys don't have good takedowns compared to their wrestling opponents and what do you know the wrestlers suck at bjj!

7. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Your a douche i'm asking a legit question and i gave a legit argument. I wasn't tryin to bash BJJ just asking a question

8. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

you should first learn how to breakfall and things of the such before working on takedowns. also elarning how to forward and backward roll also helps.

i've been doing bjj for about 4 years but it was not until i started taking judo and some akido lessons that i fealt more comfortable with take downs.

9. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

and i answered it.

wrestlers will always be better at wrestling, and bjj players will obviously be better at bjj. yes bjj is all about ground fighting, so it makes sense that's what they train. some people (well, most really) don't compete seriously and a very low percentage fights mma. those that do obviously work more on how to get the fight to the ground, be it by pulling guard or shooting in.

but they're never going to be as good at it as the guy that's been doing nothing but shooting takedowns.

but yeah i'm a major douche for using common sense.

10. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

I didn't mentino wrestilng once in my original post just asked a legit question. If BJJ is all about ground fighting why don't they teach TDs (actually how to get a fight to the ground) in the beginning/throughout?

11. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

^agreed. look i think it just comes down to that if your going to compete, then a school will teach you takedowns. if your not going to compete, it is absolutely ridiculous to start in a neutral standing position. may it be more real? possibly, but the trade off between standing and getting taken down and getting injured is too large. I mean shit.....i've been to tournaments where white belts can't even figure out how to jump guard good enough and end up wrecking their opponents leg.

so learning take downs are nice and all but without competition, they are kind of useless. and if your going to say that standing is more real, then i guess you might as well just go learn straight mma because last time i checked, no one strikes in bjj either.

12. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

you either attended to the worst bjj school in the world or you are full of sht and trying to start a Wrestling vs bjj thread... 3 monts and no bahina, seriusly??

not to mention that while most rolls start on the ground, they dont start with someone in someones guard, unless you are doing a specific drill, or again, unless you attended the worst bjj school in the world...

13. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

If someone isn't using going to compete, don't you think its more of a self defense thing, which IMO would be more reason to learn takedowns?

PS: I did not mention wrestling, or bring up wrestling I am talking about BJJ. So don't bring up wrestling. (not talking to you but just in general)

14. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Great argument, you start like kneeling next to each other, basically someone pulls guard then.
    I am not bringing up wresltling or mentioning it so stop bringing it up. I am asking a question I was curious about. You don't have to attack wrestling, or my BJJ school. I thought maybe the grappling forum would be cool people but I guess its full of douches like expected..

15. Omgplata

Omgplata White Belt

I think it's just a gym specific thing.

Some gyms i've noticed just train ground technique specifically. At my gym, we don't have a set rotation, but we pretty much work from a position a day, and work in sequences. In the mornings we used to work takedowns specifically at least half an hour a day just spent drilling. We also drill gi and no-gi judo throws. Talk to your instructor about learning to get to the ground..

16. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

BJJ does teach takedowns in the beginning and throughout. At my gym we do a takedown technique every class and drill it for around 10 minutes. Every school is different though some may spend less time on takedowns others spend more time on them. There are some schools which emphasize them and will devote sparring time to takedowns.

Very few schools will devote no time to takedowns, but they are not going to be a primary point of emphasis. BJJ is primarily a ground fighting system so the majority of the time is spent on ground techniques.

17. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Thanks for the intelligent, non wrestling bashing posts.

FYI, my gym is a pretty legit gym. There are like 10 or so brown belts (no black). Five guys traveled to Brazil to be in a national tournament(forgot the name) but all five of them placed in their division. The gym is part of Team Lloyd Irvin, which has won top easy coast team multiple times. So i'd say my gym isn't a joke.

18. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

For some reason when anyone even hints at BJJ having a flaw all the butthurt grapplers come out of the woodwork. Guys...seriously, totally legit question from someone who isn't very familiar with our practice...chill the fuck out.

Ok, the thing about BJJ is that it's important to learn and be comfortable with the positions on the ground before you start takedowns. That way you know how you want to land, how you want your opponent to land and what you're going to do when you hit the ground. Most guys fresh off the street have no idea how their body's work and for the most part are constantly off balance(you don't see martial artists trip alot) so if they already don't know where their body's are it's not a good idea to send them flying through the air.

I wouldn't be surprised if your instructor didn't let you drill takedowns but if the rest of the class never practiced them after three months that's probly not a top notch school.

I can safely say as a BJJ player that takedowns are important on the street(or it ain't goin to the ground) in MMA(or it probly ain't goin to the ground) and in competition(4 points if I remember correctly). A BJJ players takedown skills will never be as good as say a wrestlers or a judoka's but will be better than a boxers(obviously) or possibly a sambo players.

19. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

pot meet kettle

20. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

I only went two times a week, and I was doing a no-gi class, which had only 10-15 people, while the other side, the gi class, probably had 50. My gym is under team lloyd irvin, so I'd say its a pretty good gym honestly. Lots of very good grapplers who are turning out medals in national tournaments. The class was kind of an open class, whatever we wanted to do was what we did usually. But still I thought there would be SOME emphasis on takedowns