How come there's no more unification fights?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by JMill727, Jul 29, 2010.

1. JMill727

JMill727 White Belt

Boxing nowadays sucks. All the heavyweights fight overseas, and there's no more unification bouts. Besides the scumbag promoters why doesn't this happen? I have been a boxing fan forever, but am pretty sick of all the different sanctioning bodies and no unified champions.

2. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

because fighters are content with being recognized as a partial champ

3. Kakimori

Kakimori Blue Belt

Because there are no more men. And because sometimes, unbelievably, promotions strip titles if their champion decides to actually fight people who are good.

4. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

Too much bullshit in the way. Promoters, tv networks, fighters' egos, ect.

If I win the lotto I'd buy up the big 4 sanctioning bodies and lose about 4 weight classes. I wonder how much the sanctioning bodies are worth? Any ideas boys?

5. brian13

brian13 Brown Belt

You could buy the WBO. What weight classes do you want to cut?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. pulpduff

pulpduff Red Belt

Feel free to fuck off, and enjoy Nascar.

That's where the money is. Boxing is Prizefighting. The biggest gunslingers fight where there is the biggest payday.

I think that this is primarily because the best in the world happen to hail from Eastern Europe, and North Americans don't want to pay good money to see "their guys" getting splattered. However, there does seem to be a signifigant proportion of the population that would rather see two big men hug it out then slug it out.

If Unification means something to you watch the Super Six tourney.

To me it's Meaningless to the power of 3.
    The belts don't mean shit. The fighter makes the belt, not the other way around. Focus on the fights.

7. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

Hey boxing hater, why don't you have the balls to use your real account?

8. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

What you first said is right on. But I disagree with part of your second paragraph.

The reason North Americans don't want to pay good money for HW fights these days is it has become very lackluster compared to the Ali and Tyson days. The only HW fighters who have been blockbusters in the states were explosive knockout artists or fast slick charismatic guys.

Look at Manny. He has a HUGE fanbase in the states and most Americans want to pay money to see him "splatter" one of their guys in Mayweather. Most white americans I talk to want Manny to destroy Floyd, I however am pulling for May and am among the rarities in the people I talk to.

If there was a foreign HW who was just as exciting as exciting as Manny he would be huge in the states. But the problem is, there's no one along those lines.

9. pulpduff

pulpduff Red Belt

Well, both Manny and Pacquiao are "bigger than the sport" in a way. Manny's pretty much been adopted by American/Mexican/Philipino's alike. He trains in the US, he fights with the heart of a Mexican, and his native country has one of the top two boxer on the planet. Manny is huge.

In North America, at least, Mayweather is reviled beyond the borders of the sport. His heel persona reels in haters by the million and fans of the purity of his craft alike.

Those exceptions aside, as a general rule, folks don't shell out if they know that "their boy" doesn't have a chance, and, currently, there isn't anbody in North America that has a chance in Hell at either of the current champs (Klitchko's that is).

Still, I'm not trying to imply that that is the ONLY reason people don't want to embrace HW boxing in NA, but it's definitely ONE of them.

Also, historically speaking, challengers have had to meet the champ on his terms and come to him. So, until anybody can best the Klitschko's the HW belts are going to be defended over in ze Reich!

10. JMill727

JMill727 White Belt

What? NASCAR? I asked a simple question, I am a boxing fan. God so many people on this forum that get off on acting tough on a message board. This is my only account, god forbid I don't have 1,000 posts on an Internet forum. Fuck this just close the thread.

11. Krackle

Krackle Yellow Belt

There's been a flood of posts from the heavies for a while now. Mostly troll posts but the regulars here likes to get lured in for some reason and has gotten a bit sensitive. Your post stylistically fitted the pattern pretty well (to put it in a nice way).

I thought the NASCAR comment was pretty funny.

12. Mike Mesey

Mike Mesey Amateur Fighter

I just want to say nascar sucks,that is all.

13. Bonos

Bonos Black Belt

Its come to the point that by even acknowledging the four main sanctioning bodies you are hurting the sport. I stopped caring about titles post the Judah/IBF scandal back in 2006. If fighters unify they will get stripped right away for no reason and most of the belt holders don't deserve to be called champion in the first place.

14. pulpduff

pulpduff Red Belt

1) Yes, Nascar is a shit sammich, that's why I said, if you don't like boxing, feel free to suck on a big bag o' Nascar. It was a joke.

2) You may have a tiny interest in the true sport of Prizefighting, but 31 out of your first 35 posts have been about teh mma.

In fact, the posts that you have made about the sweet science have been ignorant, or offensive/whiny, so I wouldn't exactly say that you are a "fan" of the sport.