How come American universities are the best, but American schools are mediocre?

i will add that [imho, and those of others] you receive a better undergrad education in certain european countries, whereas the states have better post-grad study overall.

University is very very overrated.

I reached a 6 figure salary at 35 in an industry which had Bugger all to do with my degree. I gained all I needed from experience whilst working and transferred those skills.

How does this happen in your country?

In dear ol' Spain, most private companies won't even agree to an interview unless your degree is related to the field. And then they ask for even more industry-related titles/courses enven though is an entry-level frickin job.

• Anytime you force people to do something the results will be negative.
  • Not all people want to be in high school therefore you have kids who don't want to learn which affects the total outcome.
  • Not to say there aren't other issues but I would say that's the main difference between public education and paid college.

bottom line is if you are going to pay for it, you are more than likely going to try to get everything out of it. If you are forced to go to it and you don't give a shit, you won't put a lot effort into it

How does this happen in your country?

In dear ol' Spain, most private companies won't even agree to an interview unless your degree is related to the field. And then they ask for even more industry-related titles/courses enven though is an entry-level frickin job.

I think it's the norm to ask for a degree, as if that proves something.

When I'm employing I look for in the ground training and experience. Most degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Smart kids find a way to learn no matter what, if they are in a shitty public elementary and highschool, it will still not stop them from higher eductation where they will be 10X more successful than the kid who was just shoved there by parents

which people argue is racism against asians but if the quota wasnt there would the schools not be 85% full of asian immigrant students?

I'm not one to deny white privilege but our students are not doing all that good.
We are academically average at best.
As a university educated fellow who attended a private grammar school here in the uk I believe I am suitably qualified to share this.

University is a complete waste of time, other than taking copious amounts of drugs, alcohol and lots and lots of sex.

I would suggest 3-4 years experience in your field of choice is much more beneficial.

You will ultimately learn an incredible amount more, and gain valuable experience in your chosen field.

University is very very overrated.

I reached a 6 figure salary at 35 in an industry which had Bugger all to do with my degree. I gained all I needed from experience whilst working and transferred those skills.

I would recommend ROTC and the MINIMUM time enlisted after that (probably around 2 years but atleast youll be getting paid and work experience, not to mention Debt free from college)

One doesn't need to be some genius academic or something to come out of college successful. None of the people i went to college with that were going for and obtained Advanced Degrees are nearly as successful as the kids who went their and worked in low level job and out of graduating got better jobs and are now getting even better jobs. all while debt free more or less. its the doctors and the other braniacs who are struggling to make ends meet while living in horrible cities and are slaves to their "profession".

Last edited:
Good schools are in high property tax zones so if you have no money, your kids' school is going suck. Privatizing would just make this worse as poor folk would have to pay for tuition on top of taxes and lots of kids wouldn't be in school at all.

no it isn't as proven by literally everywhere in the world.

And yeah, my healthcare is great. Never not been able to do anything I needed to, for free.

And I get literally 80% of all food I have to eat for free.
so there
So you're a welfare recipient? Nothing is free, someone had to pay for it.

tl:dr you sound poor

As an European that thing always puzzled me. It's like when students make it to college they magically become gifted and shit.

Football supports the majority of the biggest universities attracting top level instructors in their field.

which is sad if true, because african students in africa are some of the hardest working students I've witnessed.

of course there are hundreds of african americans who end up as doctors and other things as well.

Right. There are plenty of people of every color that are smart and successful coming from public schools.

In 5th grade there was this kid from Nigeria in my class. He used to cry when he got a math problem wrong.
I spent too many years working in public schools and it is easy to see the issue---kids acting like jackasses and ruining the rest of the class.

1253527972_money_zps8b147399.gif

You always have the weirdest fucking avatars.

no it isn't as proven by literally everywhere in the world.

And yeah, my healthcare is great. Never not been able to do anything I needed to, for free.

And I get literally 80% of all food I have to eat for free.
so there

Of course by free you mean you pay taxes for it. It's not free at all, they just take the money from your paycheck before you get to see it.

Because NCAA football and basketball are big money earners.

The public schools get taxpayer funded and so their quality depends on the wealth of the surrounding neighborhood which for most neighborhoods in Murka is pretty low.

The colleges are ran like private businesses charging outrageous tuition rates and making money off their sports teams yet at the same time receive tons of federal and state funding so they attract better teachers and can offer better programs with all that cash flowing in.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I had the (somewhat superficial) impression that while the US has a horde of excellent, world-class universities, once you get down to the more middling ones, it's middle of the road when compared to rest of the Western world. I basically feel like you are great at enabling excellence, but not quite there at raising the mean.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I had the (somewhat superficial) impression that while the US has a horde of excellent, world-class universities, once you get down to the more middling ones, it's middle of the road when compared to rest of the Western world. I basically feel like you are great at enabling excellence, but not quite there at raising the mean.

Like i said earlier, the excellence is here , and if you are excellent you will get in that circle , if not , you can still manage making success out of the "middle road". ROTC pays for tuition, then you must to enlist after you graduate and get paid, then you can get out in 2 years leaving with job experience and a degree. Thats smart, no genius required. Hardwork yes..

Like i said earlier, the excellence is here , and if you are excellent you will get in that circle , if not , you can still manage making success out of the "middle road". ROTC pays for tuition, then you must to enlist after you graduate and get paid, then you can get out in 2 years leaving with job experience and a degree. Thats smart, no genius required. Hardwork yes..
Thanks for the answer, but my question was concerning the quality of different types of American educational institutions on an international scale.

Thanks for the answer, but my question was concerning the quality of different types of American educational institutions on an international scale.

Its really simple.

You have technical institutions like MIT, Cal Tech, Harvard, etc.... Which actually get real shit done at the research (not development) level

Then you have State Universities , some research but most not really that important or applicable . there's very smart people here, but not "get shit done" smart

then you have Community Colleges, smart to do if you are trying to transfer to a University or get certifications for a job/trade

Back