How come American universities are the best, but American schools are mediocre?

Because Asians. If there's no race quota there would be more Asians.
which people argue is racism against asians but if the quota wasnt there would the schools not be 85% full of asian immigrant students?

I'm not one to deny white privilege but our students are not doing all that good.
We are academically average at best.

which people argue is racism against asians but if the quota wasnt there would the schools not be 85% full of asian immigrant students?

I'm not one to deny white privilege but our students are not doing all that good.

Are you Asian?

I'll give your post a C- at best.

Goddamn.

well, I mean Oxford exists.

In general its because americans are charged up the butt for uni, and tourist students are charged even more.
All the best teachers from all over the world therefore go to american schools

Are you referring to something like 'A Semester Abroad' type of program? Because I graduated from a school that costs $1100/credit hour and international students got practically a free ride just for coming. More than likely it was because the school had to meet some sort of 'international student' quota. Good for them and can't hate, but it sure does upset me seeing as though I spent roughly $100k on an education.

One of my good buddies is a half Korean American and he got school scholarships out the wazoo because of it. He's from Hawaii for goodness sake.

Last edited:
K - 12 schools in the US are not all equal. The school system I went to for K-12 offered opportunities. I decided to not take any advantage of those opportunities and just coasted. Then in my junior year of HS I decided I wanted to become an engineer. I scored high on my SAT/ACT and ended up getting a BS in Electromechanical Engineering minoring in Physics and applied mathematics.

The US public school system is however run by the US government and will be flawed until it is privatized. I was fortunate enough that my family moved out of the ghetto when I was 5 years old. My sister was 9 years old and was already getting picked on by some gangs. She was also the only white person in her school and was picked on for that as well, even by the teachers.
We already have private schools. The only thing making all schools private will do is price people out of an education. Sure, the schools will be great. But we will have even more dumbasses walking around than we already do, which in my opinion is too many.

Because students in universities have to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars a year to attend. But high schools and down it comes out of your taxes so the minimal amount is spent on your education.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't public school funding in the US tied to property tax revenues?
Yes they are. That said lack of funds is not the problem. You could allocate a million bucks per student for these ghetto schools and the only thing that'll change are the number of items reported stolen.

Are you referring to something like 'A Semester Abroad' type of program? Because I graduated from a school that costs $1100/credit hour and international students got practically a free ride just for coming. More than likely it was because the school had to meet some sort of 'international student' quota. Good for them and can't hate, but it sure does upset me seeing as though I spent roughly $100k on an education.

One of my good buddies is a half Korean American and he got school scholarships out the wazoo because of it. He's from Hawaii for goodness sake.
seems odd to me. at my school internationals had to pay an extra 100 bucks per course.

seems odd to me. at my school internationals had to pay an extra 100 bucks per course.

Every school is different I guess. I know that many universities like having international students and probably use scholarships to encourage them to come. I went to a Private Uni so that might be a big difference.

Every school is different I guess. I know that many universities like having international students and probably use scholarships to encourage them to come. I went to a Private Uni so that might be a big difference.
thinking about it some probably want them to boost grades

but other schools actually actively try to keep averages low.
So what do I know...

thinking about it some probably want them to boost grades

but other schools actually actively try to keep averages low.
So what do I know...

To get people that don't think they're smart enough for college to go there? You would think if someone is that dumb that they wouldn't even attempt to look at a schools overall GPA.

Yes they are. That said lack of funds is not the problem. You could allocate a million bucks per student for these ghetto schools and the only thing that'll change are the number of items reported stolen.
YfTUx.gif~c200

Students who go to elite, or even decent, American colleges are basically college tracked from age 10. If you only looked at data from their experience in public schools, American public schools would look a lot better comparatively. I don't know if that indicates some kind of cooked books in other nations, or the competitive nature of American culture, but things are definitely sink or swim here.

Public schools are not run by the US government. They are run by local school districts and school boards with state funding and oversight, and minimum requirements set by the federal DOE. As prime an example of "local control" as there is. If the schools in your area suck, blame the school board, not the big bad federal government.

notice how the troll never responded back to you correcting him. same type of person who thinks saying the same bullshit over and over again somehow makes it true.

The top European universities are a match for the states, don't believe otherwise.

Because the hopeless parentless prospectless kids who drag down K-12 schools don't go to college.

As a university educated fellow who attended a private grammar school here in the uk I believe I am suitably qualified to share this.

University is a complete waste of time, other than taking copious amounts of drugs, alcohol and lots and lots of sex.

I would suggest 3-4 years experience in your field of choice is much more beneficial.

You will ultimately learn an incredible amount more, and gain valuable experience in your chosen field.

University is very very overrated.

I reached a 6 figure salary at 35 in an industry which had Bugger all to do with my degree. I gained all I needed from experience whilst working and transferred those skills.

eww no.

the best countries in the world have mainly public education.

GTFO of here suggesting all public education should be privatized.
Thats a straight path to a 5% literacy rate.

The great irony of that dude making an absurdly ignorant statement in a thread about education.

First, there's no race quota.

Second, whatever tiny, minuscule number of Asians that don't get into a school because there is an effort to bring in more blacks and Latinos (not the same thing as a quota), just means that they apply to another school and get in there.

Back