How Can You Work on Timing for strikes?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by mikeGSP24, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mikeGSP24

mikeGSP24 White Belt

Pretty much the only problem i have most of the time, with my striking is timing the hits right, i dont know if it's because of my lack of experience (i'm only 17) or i just need to work on it more

2. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Please elaborate on your issue...

Though in general, timing is worked through sparring or sparring drills, and if solo you can hit the heavy bag on the backswing, the up-and-down bag, and the speedbag.

3. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

For timing there are two main training methods that i like:

1) Slow, technical sparring with a good partner

2) pads-training with someone who knows how to hold pads, feed punches and kicks

4. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

all good advice below...... personally, i think a double end bag is a great tool for developing timing...... start with the jab, once you can move around the bag consistently landing that jab, add in the cross, hook, etc........ I suggest starting at half speed and just concentrating on throwing technically correct punches and touching that DE bag, then slowly start building up the speed and the variety of punches........ when you can move around the bag with a 1,1,1,1,2,3,2,UC...... or 1,2,1,2,3,3,UC,UC then ya probably got your timing much improved.....

5. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

Honestly, I've only experienced measurable improvements in my timing from sparring with less experienced people. Can really slow it down, think about things while knowing what your partner will do before they do it, and THINK - because thinking is the most important part of combat sports. Versus a guy who's as good or better than me, I'm just worried about not getting smashed.

It's the same in BJJ - you get better timing by rolling when lower belts because when you see one step ahead of them you start to process the correct timing for movements in "slow-mo".

6. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Well said, and i agree 100%. I think the only issue with that is you develop a sense of timing that is still a bit skewed, get in there with a guy who is much sharper....... and it can make you a little too comfortable if you've been working with less experienced guys. That said, it is still a great way to work on developing proper timing, more so for counter punching in my opinion........ I always try to pick a specific combo, usually those that are more difficult for me to execute against a skilled guy....... Then i just use my jab and try to figure out how to bait or execute that combo, i have used this technique in sparring a lot lately trying to get the timing/footwork down for doubling off my right hand...... i.E: draw a guy in with the jab, then throw right/rear hook high, right uc..... or vice versa (got the itch to learn this after watching a couple of A Berto's fights, he does this exceptionally well)..... anyhow, just my take... but good advice nonetheless.

7. BlankaGoodwin

BlankaGoodwin White Belt

I find that 1) Staying on the balls of your feet and constantly moving a little bit helps with the explosivness of a punch and so you can readily throw it when you want. 2) combos help me out alot because you can flow through it and it keeps you in a rythym.

Just keep sparring, get comfortable and try really hard to relax. Dont think too much but dont go braindead. Just relax.