How can you be that fat being a professional mma fighter?

Im talking about a lot of the heavyweights here, probably a dumb question but i just can't get it, the amounts of food you would need to eat to pull that off is disgusting. Shit im a runner and i have to constantly force myself to eat to not lose weight and this guys do one of the most brutal and tiring sports in the world and are still fat, are they only eating butter soaked cheese burgers? Cause thats tho only way i think someone could pull that off.

Edit: im not talking about the guys with a little body fat here like cain or fedor ( especially pride fedor) im talking about the legit morbidly obese guys that pop in every fight

I mean... it's not a mystery. I'm not sure what you are asking. Physical activity doesn't burn as many calories as you think. It's quite easy to "out-calorie" an active lifestyle if you eat a lot of highly caloric foods in large amounts, especially if you're a naturally large guy. Some people are also prone to gain weight more easily and some people get satiated more or less easily. Foods high in fat and sugar are particularly palatable and quite easy to eat in large amounts. Having an "aesthetic physique" doesn't really confer many particular advantages in HW mma. That's literally all there is to it. A lot of food and not much else.

Here's 410lbs Mark Henry dunking a basketball. You can see how he eats at the 2:50 mark:

8b182-15613798386036-800.jpg

Last edited:
Probably these guys were fat to begin with and don't really care. So their training is probably much different then the ripper MW/WW and they don't give a fuck about eating healthy.

Some of those heavyweights have no discipline, they eat a lot of greasy high fat and calorie food and usually they do it late right before sleeping and that's when it builds more fat than usual. But in the end of it all, what I take from all of this is that being athletic is overrated because fat boys can be just as good sometimes as the fit ones

they eat whatever they want whenever they want because they have the freedom to do so and being in a division that's more power reliant than anything i'd imagine most of em focus more on that than high calorie burning exercises

You’ve been misled by movies and health magazines.

They’re accustomed to it so it doesn’t matter when your body will adapt overtime. Fat people (not “obese”) who has been training since teen will dominate over fit people who started training 3 years ago. I know this because i have a body like Cain and is able to outcardio fit guys in certain sports.

Last edited:
As a fat person, I'd say that being fat is more about the type of food you eat, rather than the amount.

If you fill yourself with celery and water, it's much different than filling yourself with potato chips and beer

Well, not exactly. Ignoring the vitamins, minerals, and actual nutrients of the foods, you can overeat on celery and put on weight. It would just be very, very hard to do with greens. But, in general, most people's problem is the calories. Quality of food is important too, but weight gain is mostly about calories regardless of the individual healthiness of the food.

I, for example, eat like complete garbage and am probably on my way to diabetes city, but I'm fairly thin compared to the general population. I eat sugary bullshit and fast food very often but my calories are relatively in check because my weight is pretty stable. Downing a 700+ calorie snack is something I do almost on the daily but if I were to try to eat 700 calories of fish or chicken I would probably want to puke.

If I understand what you're saying that is. Point being, 3000 calories of junk and 3000 calories of clean greens and protein sources is the same in terms of weight maintenance. That doesn't take into consideration the other health aspects of clean eating though.

because these guys are concerned with FIGHTING SKILLS and not morphing their bodies to look like comic book muscle men to appear attractive to anorexic runners

andy-ruiz-anthony-joshua-060119-getty-ftr_6iz5o8mv533v14bxx8d1f15uw.jpg

I mean... it's not a mystery. I'm not sure what you are asking. Physical activity doesn't burn as many calories as you think. It's quite easy to "out-calorie" an active lifestyle if you eat a lot of highly caloric foods in large amounts, especially if you're a naturally large guy. Some people are also prone to gain weight more easily and some people get satiated more or less easily. Foods high in fat and sugar are particularly palatable and quite easy to eat in large amounts. Having an "aesthetic physique" doesn't really confer many particular advantages in HW mma. That's literally all there is to it. A lot of food and not much else.

Here's 410lbs Mark Henry dunking a basketball. You can see how he eats at the 2:50 mark:

8b182-15613798386036-800.jpg

<PlusJuan>

it's obvious you don't train or work out

if you want to look like a pretty boy with big muscles, you need to lift heavy weight and do many reps. fighting is a different kind of training. you're not going to get SWOLE by training MMA alone

because it's professional fighter not professional body builder
that statement would be relevant if he was talking about someone like Prime Fedor or Prime Cain who were kind of chubby and it may have actually helped them. But he's stated he didn't mean them and was talking about those who are fat which clearly hurts their fighting ability.

I thought Roy Nelson but this dumbass conversation to sleep

Imagine posting that with Izzy in the UFC. Lol. How did Costa do against Izzy/
Izzy IS NOT a skinny guy, stop with that crap, Izzy weighs around 205 pounds at 6'4, which gives him a BMI of 25, those long distance runners usually have a BMI of 18 to 19, which means they would weigh around 150 pounds if they were 6'4.

I mean have you seen linemen in football?

Some of those guys fat but still fit

Trent Brown, Offensive tackle who won a SuperBowl with the Patriots

Ran a 40 yard dash in 5.29 seconds

Redskins_Pats_080918_Richins_44_1066.jpg
What freaks me out are those left tackles that are 310+ lbs but damn near single digit body fat. Some of the biggest fucking freaks in all of professional sports (2 future hall of famers Joe Thomas and Tyron smith)
hqdefault.jpg

january-3rd-2016dallas-cowboys-tackle-tyron-smith-77-blocks-downfield-FARHAM.jpg

Back