How can Trump bash the CIA over WMDs in Iraq when he appointed John Bannon

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by IBeLurkin, Dec 17, 2016.

1. IBeLurkin

IBeLurkin I see you've come to this battle of wits unarmed

...Trump is bringing in the guy (John Bolton) who championed invading Iraq based on that info?

John Bolton is the quintessential Neocon from W's cabinet, who got us into these "stupid wars", and still insists they were the right thing to do. And he is obsessed with doing the same with Iran and thinks we should have done it long ago.

We've now seen top CIA agents from the W era say they didn't give information saying Iraq had WMDs (http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/george_w_bushs_cia_briefer_admits_iraq_wmd_intelligence_was_a_lie/), it was a lie that Neocons like Bolton and Cheney used to start war.

But that doesn't stop Trump from saying he won't believe anything the CIA says, based on something (WMDs) that the CIA didn't actually say. And yet he'll appoint Bolton who "acted on CIA info" to invade Iraq.

How does appointing this war-mongering idiot as deputy Sec of State fit at all with Trump saying he disagreed with the Iraq war and wants to keep us out of any other stupid wars?

It just makes no sense...it goes against everything Trump said, and Bolton's brand of intervention in the middle east proved horribly ineffective.

Let alone when we remember Trump's promise to drain the swamp :rolleyes: but I guess we've seen already seen that was an empty campaign promise.

Can anyone tell me how a Neocon like Bolton fits in with what Trump campaigned on?

Or how Trump can say he was against the Iraq invasion, and then appoint Bolton??

freakyfarley and M3t4tr0n like this.
  2. SlicerDM

SlicerDM Peace is a lie, there is only passion Double Yellow Card

Because he lied to his followers and they ate it up like a load of sheep.

Is normal, we'll see a lot of this and a lot of republicans great white hopes go down the drain.

3. Tropodan

Tropodan Silver Belt Platinum Member

Bolton is scary as fuck and likely a CIA operative.

IBeLurkin likes this.
  4. IBeLurkin

I agree Bolton's scary when you give him control of military actions, but why do you think he's a CIA operative?

M3t4tr0n likes this.
  5. pinger

pinger Brown Belt Platinum Member

Bolton is a nut job.

freakyfarley and M3t4tr0n like this.
  6. IBeLurkin

And he's the biggest hawk this side of Cheney (and it's close).

How can any Trumper support Bolton being in the cabinet in any capacity??

M3t4tr0n likes this.
  7. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Silver Belt

If Trump continues America's interventionist policies, without focusing on rebuilding the United States as he promised, he's fucked, basically. Any type of war-mongering policies are going to be met with disapproval from the population. There's nothing in the Middle East that's going to inspire the Americans to go back there again. The idea that USA needs to go there because of oil has already been busted. It is nothing more than a glorified game of geopolitical chess with Israel and Saudi monarchs against Middle Eastern strongmen and stirred-up jihadists, without positively affecting the lives of Americans in any way whatsoever.

Let's not forget that a lot of the people who chose to vote in favour of Trump, or who abstained from voting, did so because they thought that Hillary Clinton was a "hawk". Trump would be wise not to gain such a reputation, if he wishes to run for another 4 years. Being considered hawk-ish is basically a career killer nowadays, in politics.

However, there is also the side that, to an extent, you need to come off as willing to use military force, to prevent conflict in the first place, which might explain this appointment. One of Obama's failures, in my opinion, was that he had essentially tied his hands from using military force due to running a pacifist campaign, which may have played a part in the escalation of the Ukraine/Syrian situations.

Trump may want to keep up the image that he has a pack of wild dogs in his cabinet that he's ready to let loose if the United States, or its allies, are screwed with.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Rhood, Blackened and PrinceOfPain like this.
  8. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

Has he been officially appointed to anything yet?

9. caxias

caxias Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

The normal, average American is a warmonger interventionist. They love guys like John Bolton. They love war and they are not going to stop themselves. We, the international community, will have to cointain Americans and their bs.

10. TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

Have you ever watched a movie with someone who, every other scene, keeps asking what's going to happen next? It's annoying as hell. Its like just watch the movie boo...you'll find out in 2 seconds.

Selukrid612 likes this.
  11. AviatorShades

AviatorShades Banned Banned

Iraq did have WMDs though.

I didn't support the invasion back then nor do I support it in hindsight. But WMDs were found in some capacity.

12. Selukrid612

Selukrid612 Red Belt

Bolton is gonna do whatever the hell he's instructed to do. Nothing we know about Trump suggests he's going to get into power and turn into a neocon, it doesn't fit with who he is. Whatever your personal opinion of Bolton may be, he's a highly intelligent, qualified person. If he uses the passion that apparently scares so many people here to advance whatever Trump's foreign policy agenda is, he'll be a great selection.

13. lecter

lecter not even webscale

John Bannon

14. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Silver Belt

I don't think this is necessarily true nowadays. Americans vote for interventionists in spite of their interventionism, due to a lack of options, as a result of a two-party system. Every time that a non-interventionist politician has been introduced as a candidate, they've voted for them.