How can the UFC get it right with Ronda but wrong with Cain?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Miesha Tate just got pushed aside on her trilogy 3rd match with Ronda even though she's on a 4 fight win streak. I for one believe that Miesha has the tools to beat Ronda but not the fight IQ. In her fights with Ronda's she's shown some solid striking and as soon as she's out-striking Ronda, what does she do, she gets in close to clinching range and gets taken down and beaten. If Miesha was smarter she would have kept striking and put Ronda down or won on points. It's like a fighter who's dominating his opponent with a jab and then for no real reason stops using it for the rest of the fight. Now I think Holm isn't good enough yet to beat Ronda but at least Ronda's not fighting the same opponent over and over again.

Everyone was hoping for a Werdum vs. Arlovski, JDS, or Stipe such fight for Werdum's first title defense and unified champ over Cain. What most people don't want to see a rematch of a fight that just happened. Cain held up the division for years with his injuries and only fought the same 2 opponents for all of his title defenses. I really don't want to see Cain defeat Werdum in their rematch (which I think he will) and then fight JDS and Bigfoot again for the 1,000th times. The UFC HW division is fresh and new again with Werdum as champ, why not keep it that way?

People are like, "Cain was the champ for a long time, he deserves it!"......what??? They act like Cain had a Matt Hughes or Anderson Silva type legacy of 6 or more title defenses against different opponents. Cain had a short title reign with only 2 opponents the entire time. Not exactly deserving of an immediate rematch.

I still think Cain's the best in the HW division and would quickly beat anyone in the division to earn a new title shot. I think that altitude and ring rust played a decisive part in Cain's loss to Werdum and a rematch would quickly put the belt back around Cain's waist. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have to earn another title shot.

So, why is the UFC not having Ronda face Meisha for a 3rd time (which I think is good) but having Cain fight Werdum immediately after a brutal loss?

The UFC is making a good choice with Ronda but a poor one with Cain.

Because they are milking their cash-cow to the last drop before it finds a greener field

Interesting question. I too find the Cain immediate rematch unwarranted.

stopped reading at "I for one believe that Miesha has the tools to beat Ronda"

well if Ronda ever loses then they'll be giving her rematch after rematch till she's champ again

The UFC didn't do right or wrong with Ronda. Tate 3 would sell just as well as Holm 1. Her opponents are irrelevant.

Because they are milking their cash-cow to the last drop before it finds a greener field

Cain has never been a cash cow. Besides the Brock fight I don't think he's ever broken the 600k PPV buy mark.

So u believe Ronda has the tools to beat Ronda and that most.people are defending Cain/Werdum 2.

Are you from this universe?

Miesha Tate just got pushed aside on her trilogy 3rd match with Ronda even though she's on a 4 fight win streak. I for one believe that Miesha has the tools to beat Ronda but not the fight IQ. In her fights with Ronda's she's shown some solid striking and as soon as she's out-striking Ronda, what does she do, she gets in close to clinching range and gets taken down and beaten. If Miesha was smarter she would have kept striking and put Ronda down or won on points. It's like a fighter who's dominating his opponent with a jab and then for no real reason stops using it for the rest of the fight. Now I think Holm isn't good enough yet to beat Ronda but at least Ronda's not fighting the same opponent over and over again.

Everyone was hoping for a Werdum vs. Arlovski, JDS, or Stipe such fight for Werdum's first title defense and unified champ over Cain. What most people don't want to see a rematch of a fight that just happened. Cain held up the division for years with his injuries and only fought the same 2 opponents for all of his title defenses. I really don't want to see Cain defeat Werdum in their rematch (which I think he will) and then fight JDS and Bigfoot again for the 1,000th times. The UFC HW division is fresh and new again with Werdum as champ, why not keep it that way?

People are like, "Cain was the champ for a long time, he deserves it!"......what??? They act like Cain had a Matt Hughes or Anderson Silva type legacy of 6 or more title defenses against different opponents. Cain had a short title reign with only 2 opponents the entire time. Not exactly deserving of an immediate rematch.

I still think Cain's the best in the HW division and would quickly beat anyone in the division to earn a new title shot. I think that altitude and ring rust played a decisive part in Cain's loss to Werdum and a rematch would quickly put the belt back around Cain's waist. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have to earn another title shot.

So, why is the UFC not having Ronda face Meisha for a 3rd time (which I think is good) but having Cain fight Werdum immediately after a brutal loss?

Please pleast please watch the whole fight again in slow motion. Have a wrestler who has at least made to college to expain what is going on.

Meisha doesnt have the tools to beat ronda.Her strongest aspect is her grappling and she cant grapple with ronda for long without being put in a submission.
And outstrking ronda? u need to rewatch the second fight because she was getting outstruck by ronda just she got less domianted on the feet then on the ground.

And i agree cain shouldn't of gotten the rematch.I also think werdum is a horrible style matchup for him and will smash him again.People are going on about altitude but id like to see one person show me a fight were he was in a competeive fight were he couldnt be on top or he couldn't hold the guy against the cage.Soon as he couldn do them things his mythical cardio proved to be a myth.

Its like cormier vs Jones.Always chubby went 5 rounds with josh looked fine.Was broke in the 4th vs Jones cause he couldnt ragdoll him and had to deal with getting hit and how it disrupts ur breathing etc.

Also if cain wasnt heralded as mexican there wouldnt be a rematch

Question is when will the UFC learn? Cain shits the bed EVERY time without fail.

I'm glad you asked this question because I've been talking about this for a while. Cains manager failed him horribly. He should have found a way out of the second Bigfoot fight at the very least. Instead he has that wild streak of only fighting two guys for the longest time.

Ronda's manager/team constantly make the right career moves for her. When they looked at the prospect of Meisha again they understood that this fight has little upside for Ronda. A new opponent gives Ronda the chance to push herself forward.

Somewhere when this fight was changed Cain or his wife or someone in his family must have asked why the heck didn't bob do that for you

UFC is making good money off the Rousey situation. That makes them enamored with the idea of a 3-tier division, like Rousey - Tate - rest. They can make any fights they want and WBW will look like a 3-tier division. So UFC wants the HW division to look like that, but it ain't. So they need to try to make it look like that by pretending that no one is entitled to a title shot.

Back