How can Petrosyan be the GOAT of kickboxing?

Andy souwer just did a podcast with Liam Harrison and he talked about fighting petrosyan. Was a really interesting listen.

He said he was the best fighter he'd ever fought, and he didn't have an answer for him in the ring. He felt he had no options as everything he tried got answered no matter how many adjustments he tried to make

Andy souwer just did a podcast with Liam Harrison and he talked about fighting petrosyan. Was a really interesting listen.

He said he was the best fighter he'd ever fought, and he didn't have an answer for him in the ring. He felt he had no options as everything he tried got answered no matter how many adjustments he tried to make
I got to go to a Souwer seminar when he visited the states not long after that fight and he pretty much said the same thing back then too. He said the only way to beat him is to be a step ahead, problem is Petrosyan is already 3 steps ahead so you have to predict multiple strikes ahead to find an opening.

I got to go to a Souwer seminar when he visited the states not long after that fight and he pretty much said the same thing back then too. He said the only way to beat him is to be a step ahead, problem is Petrosyan is already 3 steps ahead so you have to predict multiple strikes ahead to find an opening.

That must of been great to attend.

I've been lucky enough to watch Petrosyan live 5 times. The tickets have always been pretty cheap so we managed to get ring side seats. It's not until you watch the fights back you realise the difference in seeing him at working live up close, ti what you are seeing on tv. It's unbelievable.

It doesn't do it justice watching his fights back on tape. Amazing talent. Like you said, 3 steps ahead of his oponient. But distance, timing and footwork is something really special

He is the goat for me. But I am a massive fan, so I don't mind admitting that I'm probably a bit biased.

Either that or fight with a style and rhythm so erratic it’s damn near impossible for anyone to predict. Even then you’re still not going to get many openings so you better hit like a Mack truck.

How? Take a look at his record! Maybe not the goat of kickboxing, but the goat of the lightweights is correct. It"s not his fault Buakaw and others have become less competitive.

He won 2 K-1 WGPs (Max) and 1 Glory Slam.

Sure, he has refused the opposition for some years, but will have the chance to prove his record again now in ONE. Because so far in ONE, you can swear me, the Grand-Prix wasn"t fantastic as line-up. He still won though the GP.

How? Take a look at his record! Maybe not the goat of kickboxing, but the goat of the lightweights is correct. It"s not his fault Buakaw and others have become less competitive.

He won 2 K-1 WGPs (Max) and 1 Glory Slam.

Sure, he has refused the opposition for some years, but will have the chance to prove his record again now in ONE. Because so far in ONE, you can swear me, the Grand-Prix wasn"t fantastic as line-up. He still won though the GP.
Who's fault it is that Petrosian ducked Sittichai , Superbon and Yodsanklai ?

Last edited:
Wish we got to see Petro vs Masato before he retired. Petro probably would have won but it's the one fight that just never happened.

Back