How can Petrosyan be the GOAT of kickboxing?

I don't think Petrosyan is overrated at all. I think throughout his career he has been massively underrated by most kickboxing fans.
In The Netherlands many people didn't like his style, because he's not the typical aggressive Dutch kickboxer. They were always discrediting him by saying he was too scared to go for the knock out.

In my opinion he is the best kickboxer, because he made the best kickboxers of his time look so bad. He would let them miss all the time like they were amateurs. He defeated Souwer, Kraus, Kyshenko, Sato, Kiria, Van Roosmalen and so many others by having a more intelligent fight style that worked really well against the Dutch style that was so effective up till then.

Ristie knocked out Petro an Roosmalen the same night only because he tampered with the padding of the gloves.Was caught by glory after few more matches and it's contract expired.

Ristie knocked out Petro an Roosmalen the same night only because he tampered with the padding of the gloves.Was caught by glory after few more matches and it's contract expired.

That's not accurate at all.

The glove incident happened at Glory 20, against Roosmalen but that was a different night than the tournament where Petro got KO'd. It is not the padding of the gloves that was tempered with but the thumb of the glove which was missing. This was seen by the referee during the fight. The gloves are supposed to be checked by the Glory staff and/or the commission before the fight and obviously they didn't see it.

Also, Ristie's contract wasn't ended, it was his coach Flamingo who was not allowed to come to Glory events anymore. Ristie refused to come back to Glory with a different coach and so didn't bother fighting in Glory anymore.

There is no evidence that Ritie and his team did this on purpose, and there is no evidence that they did this at other events than Glory 20.

So please let's not pretend Petrosyan got KO'd just because Ristie tempered his gloves.

The Petrosyan fans and their excuses for every one of his losses (and draws) really get on my nerves.

Petrosyan got caught that night, that's all. Slow motion replay time stamped:

from an old topic on this forum: - the gloves thing was not "plainly bullshit" at all

Flamingo got caught out for cutting the thumb tabs on the gloves, the padding had also been interfered with, they were messing about trying to avoid having the gloves inspected, look at the tape of the fight, when they are in the ring before the fight starts. Andy is trying his hardest to keep his other glove hidden and acting like he doesn't understand that he is being asked to show the glove to the inspector.

i like andy, great fighter, but there is no place for cheating like that. Coach Flamingo was told he could not corner andy in glory any more, andy got upset, that's led to the current hiatus....- that night the glowes were replaced... Ristie lost... he didn't fight anymore... He tried this summer in kunlun...he lost again. That wasn't the first time he cheated... that was the first time he got caught.

Interesting take. I'd imagine the same glove inspection procedures that got Ristie's coach busted were implemented in the GP he won too, but can't confirm that.

from an old topic on this forum: - the gloves thing was not "plainly bullshit" at all

Flamingo got caught out for cutting the thumb tabs on the gloves, the padding had also been interfered with, they were messing about trying to avoid having the gloves inspected, look at the tape of the fight, when they are in the ring before the fight starts. Andy is trying his hardest to keep his other glove hidden and acting like he doesn't understand that he is being asked to show the glove to the inspector.

i like andy, great fighter, but there is no place for cheating like that. Coach Flamingo was told he could not corner andy in glory any more, andy got upset, that's led to the current hiatus....- that night the glowes were replaced... Ristie lost... he didn't fight anymore... He tried this summer in kunlun...he lost again. That wasn't the first time he cheated... that was the first time he got caught.

This is pure speculation. There is nothing to suggest tht the padding had been interfered with even in the official statements, only that the thumbs had been cut out, and there's nothing to suggest he had done it before or after Glory 20. So saying Petrosyan lost by KO because of Ristie cheating with the gloves is far fetched.

The only available sources and statements about this incident are those:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150726...d-from-glory-ring-after-glory-20-glove-mishap
upload_2019-11-8_21-7-2.png

And then these 2:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150715...-Ristie-Roberto-Flamingo#.VVJPeaGWUCM.twitter
http://web.archive.org/web/20150715....com/2015/05/Persbericht-Black-Label-Fighting

Which translate as:

"12-05 / STATEMENT ANDY RISTIE & ROBERTO FLAMINGO
Statement Andy Ristie & Roberto Flamingo
We have read with great surprise the message on mixfight stating that Ristie has to pay a fine and where as a trainer I am no longer welcome at future Glory events.

First of all, it is very strange that both Andy and I were not informed by the organization and that we should read this through a website. It just shows how it was with the communication at Glory. We will, of course, first wait for an official response from Glory, but if the message is true we want to say that there has never been the intention to deliberately sabotage things. I have been active in martial arts for many years and have coached my fighters at many events and have always acted in honor and conscience. Like every event, the gloves were checked just before the start and were put in the locker room in front of someone from the organization. Andy and I are a team and need each other before, during and after the fight. Excluding me at future events shows again how unthinkable such a radical decision is, because as a trainer you do not have it. It is more the fighter now being punished by entering the ring without his coach. At least a very strange situation I've never heard before in any sport.

In addition, we find Blacklabel's reaction very strange as they were not present in the locker room and say things that have not happened. It is therefore striking that a management is so concerned about a matter and that they are not even behind their own fighter. As we have stated before, we are awaiting the official message first but one thing is for sure, Roberto Flamingo is and remains my trainer.

With sporting greetings,

Andy Ristie & Roberto Flamingo"

And then:

"12-05 / PRESS RELEASE BLACK LABEL FIGHTING
Press Release Black Label Fighting
Following the ISKA decision, as adopted by GLORY, to punish Andy Ristie and his trainer / coach Roberto Flamingo, Black Label Fighting, the management agency that also includes Ristie, released the following press release: "On May 9, As Black Label Fighting (BLF) and Andy Ristie as sportsman, we have officially taken note of GLORY's decision to impose a disciplinary measure on Andy Ristie, including a fine, and the life-long suspension of Roberto Flamingo. by now, Ristie's gloves had been cut in, causing the thumbs to come loose. It goes without saying that BLF disapproves and does not tolerate it, and therefore fully supports the ISKA / GLORY decision. BLF respects the sport and its opponents, and do not engage with trainers who seem to deliberately sabotage things. We regret the situation and make sure that this is not a future in the future. s will occur. With sporting greetings, Black Label Fighting "

I'm sincere:I don't know what to think, I've read about the gloves topic in a 2016 thread on this forum, I thought it was credible given the reaction of Glory.... I mean...
you have an athlete who knocked out the two strongest fighters on your circuit in one night and you don't try to smooth things out?Maybe you're sure that it wasn't by chance or the sabotage was not so light. Second aspect,if you're innocent and the gloves were "damaged" by your trainer... is it possible that you wear them without realizing it?

Last edited:
I'm sincere:I don't know what to think, I've read about the gloves topic in a 2016 thread on this forum, I thought it was credible given the reaction of Glory.... I mean...
you have an athlete who knocked out the two strongest fighters on your circuit in one night and you don't try to smooth things out?Maybe you're sure that it wasn't by chance or the sabotage was not so light. Second aspect,if you're innocent and the gloves were "damaged" by your trainer... is it possible that you wear them without realizing it?

If it had been that serious then they would have banned Ristie full stop not just his coach. Also nothing wrong was ever found with the padding. If you turn it around though, was it not a way for Glory to justify 2 of their biggest stars getting KO'd?

Glory doesn't need to justify anything, Ristie wasn't a fighter of another organization, he was a fighter of Glory roster. I mean if you have a new champion (a Dutch champion) you create the hype, you push him. Look at the Ufc with GSP, Anderson Silva in the past, or with Adesanya, and Jones nowadays. Look at the boxing world with Canelo or Loma... If you have a new champion you don't cut every ties with him... unless there is a disciplinary reason...

Glory doesn't need to justify anything, Ristie wasn't a fighter of another organization, he was a fighter of Glory roster. I mean if you have a new champion (a Dutch champion) you create the hype, you push him. Look at the Ufc with GSP, Anderson Silva in the past, or with Adesanya, and Jones nowadays. Look at the boxing world with Canelo or Loma... If you have a new champion you don't cut every ties with him... unless there is a disciplinary reason...

Hence why they didn't directly cut ties with him but with his coach. And I'm pretty sure that if he had altered the padding of the glove the sanctions would have been much worse and justice would have been involved.

Anyway, nothing was ever mentioned by any party about the padding, and no results were overturned. There's also 0 evidence that Ristie and his team altered the thumb of the glove at other events than Glory 20. So Petrosyan getting KO'd a few Glory events prior by Ristie has nothing to do with that story.

Petrosyan got caught, there's nothing more to it.

I've got to give the edge to Petroysan. Yes it was a questionable draw against Buakaw but Petrosyan ran through everyone that gave Buakaw harder fights.
Souwer, Kraus, Sato. Petroysan cruised through them. He has over 100 wins with only 1 legit loss.
And keep in mind I'm talking kickboxing rules. He didn't get to fight Buakaw under his preferred rule set.
Here is my take on the kickboxing GOAT:

I've got to give the edge to Petroysan. Yes it was a questionable draw against Buakaw but Petrosyan ran through everyone that gave Buakaw harder fights.
Souwer, Kraus, Sato. Petroysan cruised through them. He has over 100 wins with only 1 legit loss.
And keep in mind I'm talking kickboxing rules. He didn't get to fight Buakaw under his preferred rule set.
Here is my take on the kickboxing GOAT:

welcome to sherdog Gabriel! love your YouTube channel.

This is the actual Gabriel Varga? Damn, could Mod please give him verified profile like JWP and Enson Inoue? Can't believe he has been a member since 2018.

What I love about Varga YT channel is that there might not be many viewers like UFC fighters', but fans are engaged in actual discussion. Really rare in YT lol

When someone like Andy Ristie lands clean, they would most likely have gotten KO'd regardless

Back