How can Machida beat Weidman?

Hes gonna have to KO Weidman otherwise its going to be lights out for the Dragon. Its imperative that he dont let Chris take him down because if it goes to the ground I think Lyoto gets submitted sadly. People underestimate just how good this Weidman kid is.

Weidmans fight iq is not better then the UFC roster, don't believe the hype around that. He's a smart fighter and has shown us some very good fight iq, but he's only had a few fights. Someone like Jones, Aldo, Barao has shown exceptional fight IQ between 15 to 20 fights.

How can he win?? By doing what he does in every fight, movement, defend the TD and attack.

explain where and when barao has shown exceptional fight iq

let me know where and how it surpasses weidman. i think youre just talking out your ass honestly. aldo and barao were straight whooping peoples asses. they might be technical but they havent shown any tactical mastery above and beyond other top notch fighters

imo fighters with high fight iq are guys like gsp, jones, weidman. they plan and execute different game plans vs different fighters. even cormier has shown a great ability to execute a gameplan

i think weidman just has that killer instinct that will carry him over machida. it may look ugly for a round or 2, but i think chris will get the take down and then the fight is OVER.

Controlling the distance.. keeping him on a safe range.. doing a nice work at takedoiwns defense... then going for his typical counter-attack style.

I called it ages and ages ago that machida would be the MW champ when the move to MW was announced.

Are people seriously going to underestimate the power machida has? He was ko'ing big LHW's.

imo fighters with high fight iq are guys like gsp, jones, weidman. they plan and execute different game plans vs different fighters. even cormier has shown a great ability to execute a gameplan

All MMA fighters do this especially at a world class level. You think Aldo and Barao go into fights with the same gameplan for every opponent? Looks like you are talking out of your ass here.

Anyways like i've said before Machida is a shit fight for Weidman. Lyoto is arugably quicker than Weidman has arugably better striking than Weidman. If Chris can get the takedown it will be interesting to see how Machida reacts, but then again Weidman took Anderson down and wasn't really capable of keeping him there even while landing some GnP. I can't wait for this fight.

Yeah, it's that simple. Just like everyone else that's pressured Machida successfully.

Like T.Silva, Rashad Evans, and Ryan Bader.

Yup.... very simple to pressure Machida.

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_5.gif

Right. Here you see Mousasi charging forward with his head literally DOWN (a big no-no) while throwing basically push punches and he was able to land 2 of them to Machida's jaw. Machida, of course, fired off his left straight in the process and it missed the target and hit Mousasi's shoulder instead and a nothing right straight to the body. Machida also dropped his hands again after throwing that left and was wide open for more strikes to land (like a left hook from Mousasi as Machida was circling left and out, which he could've stepped in with). Machida panics when he's pressured and Weidman will not only pressure him, he'll do it intelligently and systematically break Lyoto down until he lands the finishing blow(s). Mousasi punches hard but he doesn't have Weidman's power or timing (this is coming from a Mousasi fan as well).

It isn't as hard to successfully pressure Lyoto and make him make mistakes as you're suggesting it is. Thiago Silva, Bader and Evans are also inferior strikers compared to Weidman. All 3 have big power but their timing isn't nearly as good and their technique isn't either. Weidman's left hook (which he KO'd Anderson with and dropped Uriah Hall) isn't all that Lyoto will need to worry about in the standup. He has big power in both hands and doesn't need to rely on creating collisions to knock a fighter unconscious, or at the very least, drop them hard. Ask Anderson when he clinched with Weidman in their rematch and got floored with a short right hand to the ear. Weidman needed little space to accomplish that even from an awkward position and posture.

the problem with machida is that nobody fights like him, hes very difficult to time

he gets you on your back foot and rushes in, he almost got jones the same way

machida has to keep moving and cant get taken down

i think weidman wins but it wouldnt surprise me if machida wins either

machida has to get a ko but i dont think he has enough pop at 185

I called it ages and ages ago that machida would be the MW champ when the move to MW was announced.

Are people seriously going to underestimate the power machida has? He was ko'ing big LHW's.

So what you are saying is that Machida's standup with a whopping 8 KO's in 21 wins is better than Anderson Silva's? (who btw has 20 KO's in 33 wins).

sure...

good question. I believe in order for machida to beat weidman, he's going to have to do a few things. First, he's going to have to punch and kick weidman. Second, he will have to avoid weidman's takedowns, and takedown weidman. Third, he will have to attempt to submit weidman and defend weidman's subs. That is what he has to do.

H-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s-!!!

So what you are saying is that Machida's standup with a whopping 8 KO's in 21 wins is better than Anderson Silva's? (who btw has 20 KO's in 33 wins).

sure...
Who the fuck has Anderson even fought? Besides Vitor, tell me who he has beaten that was worth a shit.

Also, Machida never got finished by no name fucking fighters who never amounted to shit in their entire careers.

Your post is pathetic.

Right. Here you see Mousasi charging forward with his head literally DOWN (a big no-no) while throwing basically push punches and he was able to land 2 of them to Machida's jaw. Machida, of course, fired off his left straight in the process and it missed the target and hit Mousasi's shoulder instead and a nothing right straight to the body. Machida also dropped his hands again after throwing that left and was wide open for more strikes to land (like a left hook from Mousasi as Machida was circling left and out, which he could've stepped in with). Machida panics when he's pressured and Weidman will not only pressure him, he'll do it intelligently and systematically break Lyoto down until he lands the finishing blow(s). Mousasi punches hard but he doesn't have Weidman's power or timing (this is coming from a Mousasi fan as well).

It isn't as hard to successfully pressure Lyoto and make him make mistakes as you're suggesting it is. Thiago Silva, Bader and Evans are also inferior strikers compared to Weidman. All 3 have big power but their timing isn't nearly as good and their technique isn't either. Weidman's left hook (which he KO'd Anderson with and dropped Uriah Hall) isn't all that Lyoto will need to worry about in the standup. He has big power in both hands and doesn't need to rely on creating collisions to knock a fighter unconscious, or at the very least, drop them hard. Ask Anderson when he clinched with Weidman in their rematch and got floored with a short right hand to the ear. Weidman needed little space to accomplish that even from an awkward position and posture.

Yes, Weidman. Follow this road to victory, just like it lead Mousasi.

I see this happening quite a few times.

5.gif
A lot of people point out that Machida's style is a ngihtmare for wrestlers and while I think they're right for the most part I think Weidman is better than all of Lyoto's previous opponents in both MMA wrestling and MMA as awhole with the excpetion of Jones, who actually beat Lyoto.

I think Lyoto can win and I'm rooting for him but it will be a tough fight for him
You're damn right he will.

I can't wait for all the tears on Sherdog after Lyoto takes that belt.

And I'm going to be in Vegas watching the fight live :D
Lyoto is farily well liked here. If he wins there will be tears of joy on Sherdog.

sure...
Lyoto has done much better against wrestlers than Silva has. Even against Sonnen and Hendo, who Silva beat, he gave up many takedowns.

Who the fuck has Anderson even fought? Besides Vitor, tell me who he has beaten that was worth a shit.

Also, Machida never got finished by no name fucking fighters who never amounted to shit in their entire careers.

Your post is pathetic.

You make Machida fans look bad. Machida never was an probably will never be a greater striker than Anderson Silva.

Lyoto has to make Weidman overcommit his strikes so that he may counter him, and keep the fight standing.

I always cringe when Machida finds him in the pocket exchanging. GSP would do this time from time. They're just asking to be KO'd

Back