How can i stop being a weenie?

Tec213

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like serious.. For the first time i boxed some dude and i got my ass handed to me not because he was better or had training but because he just bombed on me and all i did was cover up and turn around.. like anytime i would get hit its like instinctively i would cover my face up and my mind was like swing stupid and i would try to swing but it would be a random close your eyes and swing punch..

I was distraught i felt like a coward.. so i was just thinking is there a way to overcome that?? like if i go to a boxing club can they teach me or program me to fight? is this natural?? or am i just a lil biisch??

for reals i wanna know if this is a normal problem..

FYI this was my first fighting experience never been in a real fight or fake friend sparring fight with gloves. i was gonna sign up for a boxing club today by my house i just want to make sure its normal and i can get over the whole covering up thing or am i just not a fighter..

serious replies please!! just want to know if other peeps have this problem and its easy to overcome thank you!

spar spar spar and spar some more, also some controled sparing drills

same thing with driving a car man... we're all nervous and make mistakes at first. just get back on the wheel until you feel comfortable.

Yes, go sign up at the boxing gym. They'll fix the weenie instinct by teaching you how to... uh... box.

Learn to box by going to a boxing gym. You didn't box anyone if you cowered away and didn't have any idea what you were doing. If you stay consistent, you'll do fine.

Learn to box by going to a boxing gym. You didn't box anyone if you cowered away and didn't have any idea what you were doing. If you stay consistent, you'll do fine.

Yeah, But i mean is that normal? I have NO experience i thought fighting would be whatevers but as soon as i got hit all i can think of is not getting hit and covering up

I just wanna know if this is normal? if most people have this problem and is it something you can over come

Yeah, But i mean is that normal? I have NO experience i thought fighting would be whatevers but as soon as i got hit all i can think of is not getting hit and covering up

I just wanna know if this is normal? if most people have this problem and is it something you can over come

It is difficult to quantify "who has what", if it is "normal", and definitively say, whether you will be able to "get over it." As most people have said, go get some qualified instruction, talk to the instructor and let him know your concerns, and in all probability as you gain experience, exposure, and improve your skills, your response will change based upon your confidence in yourself, and your newly found ability.

:icon_chee

It is difficult to quantify "who has what", if it is "normal", and definitively say, whether you will be able to "get over it." As most people have said, go get some qualified instruction, talk to the instructor and let him know your concerns, and in all probability as you gain experience, exposure, and improve your skills, your response will change based upon your confidence in yourself, and your newly found ability.

:icon_chee
Good read! thanks for the advice

First of all..."Random close your eyes and swing" is the worst thing, bar none, to do while fighting any style. It still happens to good fighters (especially when rocked), but with training you learn to deal with it.

What you did was what most untrained people would do. Go to the gym, work on the fundamentals.

The idea is to watch your opponents shoulders and see every incoming punch. It's a lot easier to deal with someone bombing away when you have good balance (footwork), good defense, a good jab and you are confident in your head movement.

My first week (if not longer) of sparring, that was basically what I did. You get over it. Spar spar spar.

Most people with no training will cover up and shut down when they get swarmed the first time. Join a gym and they should be able to fix you. If you train for a while and still turtle up and freak out, then I would say that fighting just isn't for you.

i was gonna sign up for a boxing club today by my house i just want to make sure its normal and i can get over the whole covering up thing or am i just not a fighter..
Not everyone who trains at a boxing gym is there to become a fighter,
but you should train at a gym that produces fighters.
I only train for recreation and because I'm a glutton for punishment lol.

No one expects you to be a know-all killing machine who can go 12 rounds
on your first day. And if someone enters a boxing gym with that attitude
they can expect to be belted by one of the fighters then told to piss off.

Get yourself into a boxing gym, be humble, learn from everyone
and work hard. Good luck.

We usually to "spar" drills for beginners befoer they get into sparring. For example the experienced guy would only use jabs and practice defense, so the beginner gets eased into it. Eventually you add in more weapons and such

Same problem over here.. Sometimes during sparring, after a few hits on my face, i turn away my head, put my hands in front of my face and start walking backwards.. I hate myself for doing that.. It becomes lesser but it's still something i do now and then.

i just want to make sure its normal and i can get over the whole covering up thing or am i just not a fighter..
I have known men that are just not able to handle the mental, emotional, and physical stresses of contact sports. You may be one of them, but you will not know until you give it your best shot.

So, go join that gym and give it a go. If it turns out you just cannot deal with it, there is no shame. In fact, it probably just indicates you are smarter than the rest of us.

Dude everyone has that problem. I'm over it pretty much by now, but i still sometimes go into "Chris Leben mode" and start swinging wild and stupid. WE both just need to spar more.

sooooooo, did you just straight get your ass beat in a street fight, or was this some like.. set up after school and box type deal?

unless you've ever been in a fight, you never know exactly how you will handle yourself. now that you had the experience and found out that.. using your words... you're a "weenie", you know what the problem is, now you have to find the tools to fix the problem. definitly go check out that gym by your house. even if you do just a "free week tryout" that some gyms do. a week of training in a legit gym, is better than sitting home and watching fights, thinking "it cant be to hard to do that"

you are not born able to fight man.

Just take yourself to training, spar and you will get there in the end! you will find yourself picking things up as the days go by and seeing yourself improve, which is the best bit.

It's not uncommon, there's actually a name for it: "Fight or Flight Syndrome." Now just because your instincts are telling you to cover up and not get hit doesn't mean that you aren't cut out to be a fighter. Get some training, get some more sparring under your belt, and you'll start to improve while getting rid of your jitters. It sounds like you might want to consider a stick-and-move/counter-punching strategy too IMO.

The advice you're getting from these people is sound. Listen to them.

You're not going to be a natural fighter right out the gate (granted, some people are significantly better than others, but no one is really great until they train some). Covering up and backing away is a much better natural response to getting hit than not doing those things, even if you were just boxing for fun. Being hit in the arms is better than being hit in the face.

The problems that you're having are normal jitters that most people experience the first time they fight. You'll get over them with some training. Sparring does wonders for your confidence as a fighter.

Good luck, man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back