how can i increase my kicking power

Gelocoster

White Belt
Reaction score
i was wondering if there is couple of exercises that can make my leg stronger..so..my kicks are more powerful and faster? in taekwondo they just tell us keep doing the kicks many times and it will become strong..so..if someone could help me with leg workouts it would be great ;)

The faq has a lot of good exercise programs. You should take a look.

Specifically, I'd suggest doing squats and deadlifts to make your legs stronger.

Read the FAQ and do Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Novice Program.

How long have you been doing TKD? You said in another thread that you were 14 so probably not all that long. You would most likely benefit by far the most from as your instructors said just practicing. Proper technique is ten times more important to kicking power than strength is. Try to do a couple hundred kicks a day. You'll make a lot of progress very quickly.

How long have you been doing TKD? You said in another thread that you were 14 so probably not all that long. You would most likely benefit by far the most from as your instructors said just practicing. Proper technique is ten times more important to kicking power than strength is. Try to do a couple hundred kicks a day. You'll make a lot of progress very quickly.

i have been training TKD for 1 year and kung fu 4 years..i was 9 when i started martial arts and thats my workout kicking plan
Warm-up
Stepper 10 mins (at gym)
Jumping 2 minutes (at home)
Warm-up
Squats 10x3
Jumping Squats 20x3
Lunges 10x3
Leg Curls 10x3
Leg..oposite of curls 10x3 (at gym)
Scissor kicks 15x3
Front Leg Lifts 10x3
Back Leg Lifts 10x3
Chamber : Tucked Front 30-60 sec
Tucked Side 30-60 sec
Tucked Round 30-60 sec
Chamber : Extended Front 30-60 sec
Extended Side 30-60 sec
Extended Round 30-60 sec
Shadow Kicking : Front leg only (2 mins) R&L
Back Leg only (2 mins) R&L
Front Leg only with back leg spinning (2 mins) R&L
Open match 2x3 1 min break

i have been training TKD for 1 year and kung fu 4 years..i was 9 when i started martial arts and thats my workout kicking plan
Warm-up
Stepper 10 mins (at gym)
Jumping 2 minutes (at home)
Warm-up
Squats 10x3
Jumping Squats 20x3
Lunges 10x3
Leg Curls 10x3
Leg..oposite of curls 10x3 (at gym)
Scissor kicks 15x3
Front Leg Lifts 10x3
Back Leg Lifts 10x3
Chamber : Tucked Front 30-60 sec
Tucked Side 30-60 sec
Tucked Round 30-60 sec
Chamber : Extended Front 30-60 sec
Extended Side 30-60 sec
Extended Round 30-60 sec
Shadow Kicking : Front leg only (2 mins) R&L
Back Leg only (2 mins) R&L
Front Leg only with back leg spinning (2 mins) R&L
Open match 2x3 1 min break

Once again, read the FAQ.

You should probably listen to your instructors:D

That being said, I thought TKD is more about speed than power. Even in other sports such as Muay Thai, the Thai coaches would always tell the trainees to focus more on speed and technique and less on power. It makes sense, it's the rotation from the hip that generates the force, the leg is kind of deadweight.

So, I would probably focus on core strength. Lots of weighted situps and similar. Starting Strength is going to be too much for practicing in between.

kicking power comes from your core, specifically your lower back, butt, and abs (i remember seeing overeem pat the top of his abs and saying "this is where the power comes from" in a video of one of his crazy workouts). that said, your question's been answered already: deadlifts, squats, farmer's walks, etc.

the problem with tkd kicks is that they require the chamber before the strike, which takes your core out of the strike and places all the real work on the legs themselves. it's much harder to get power behind a chambered kick.

That being said, I thought TKD is more about speed than power. Even in other sports such as Muay Thai, the Thai coaches would always tell the trainees to focus more on speed and technique and less on power. It makes sense, it's the rotation from the hip that generates the force, the leg is kind of deadweight.

So, I would probably focus on core strength. Lots of weighted situps and similar. Starting Strength is going to be too much for practicing in between.

true..in TKD speed is more important than power but...looking from other side..i'm in TKD so i perfect my kicking only then after few years am going to train boxing..so i have both good kicking and good boxing and some other martial arts for mma..or its not called "Mixed" for nothing :p

true..in TKD speed is more important than power but...looking from other side..i'm in TKD so i perfect my kicking only then after few years am going to train boxing..so i have both good kicking and good boxing and some other martial arts for mma..or its not called "Mixed" for nothing :p

just remember that even machida rarely uses traditional tkd kicks. there is a reason they aren't used very often in mma...

I would say that speed and power are pretty much the same thing in regards to striking. If two guys are moving the same amount of weight the same distance (kicking), and one can move it faster, his kick is more powerful. Power=work/time.

I would say that speed and power are pretty much the same thing in regards to striking. If two guys are moving the same amount of weight the same distance (kicking), and one can move it faster, his kick is more powerful. Power=work/time.

this would be true if the same form were used for both types of kicks, which isn't true. you can do more work in a similar amount of time with a thai kick, for instance, since the leg is swung like a baseball bat using the hips and lower back as opposed to thrusted forward from a chamber using the hamstrings and quads.

this would be true if the same form were used for both types of kicks, which isn't true. you can do more work in a similar amount of time with a thai kick, for instance, since the leg is swung like a baseball bat using the hips and lower back as opposed to thrusted forward from a chamber using the hamstrings and quads.

Aren't we talking about TKD here?

sounds like we're talking about mt and tkd, judging by the post you replied to. plus, speed =/= power, since something can go really fast and simply not hit with much force. in this case, the only reason more speed=more power is that you have to input more force to swing your leg faster. however, that's just a matter of velocity - any kick would benefit from building pure force output up through lifting or some other form of training.

Back