How can I become a moderator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedordoublefist

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seriously.

I'm relatively new to the boards and would love a potential part time job/hobby seeing how I am always on these boards.

Most of the time potential moderators have read the FAQ and RULES.

Maybe theirs still hope, make another account and be an intelligent poster for 3+ years, and just brown nose all your superiors.

That my friend, is the KEY.

Asking to be a mod just pushes you really down the list of potential mods.

Be a significant contributor, be here for a long period of time. And read the FAQ.

I started out as a mod because I was really involved in the standup forum. I noticed that no one was actively modding it, and that people were flaming the shit out of each other in there and ruining some threads, that there were redundant threads, and that some bad/dangerous advice was being given out. So I PM'd an adminstrator about it and offered to help out. Not necessarily as a moderator but just in general. They turned around and said how'd you like to moderate? I'd been trying to make helpful posts, I had several years of muay thai experience, and had an education and relevant work experience, too. So I said, sure. I think I only had a couple hundred posts under my belt at the time.

Now I cruise and moderate all the forums. I don't really go into the standup forum much anymore. Because it got too repetitive for me and there are other excellent active mods in there now.

Don't know if that helps answer your question but that's how it went down for me.

I started out as a mod because I was really involved in the standup forum. I noticed that no one was actively modding it, and that people were flaming the shit out of each other in there and ruining some threads, that there were redundant threads, and that some bad/dangerous advice was being given out. So I PM'd an adminstrator about it and offered to help out. Not necessarily as a moderator but just in general. They turned around and said how'd you like to moderate? I'd been trying to make helpful posts, I had several years of muay thai experience, and had an education and relevant work experience, too. So I said, sure. I think I only had a couple hundred posts under my belt at the time.

Now I cruise and moderate all the forums. I don't really go into the standup forum much anymore. Because it got too repetitive for me and there are other excellent active mods in there now.

Don't know if that helps answer your question but that's how it went down for me.

word around the campfire is your sherwoods nephew, and THATS why youre a mod!:eek:

Heres a tip.

If you see someone breaking a rule, flaming incessantly, fighter bashing, or constantly posting messages specifically to annoy people, contact a moderator. And do not do any of those things you contact moderators about.

Thats a good start.

Show restraint, good judgement, and commitment to the site - the "job" probably isn't what you think it is anyway, it can be pretty trying at times.

That campfire is pure comedy.

Most of the time potential moderators have read the FAQ and RULES.

Maybe theirs still hope, make another account and be an intelligent poster for 3+ years, and just brown nose all your superiors.

That my friend, is the KEY.

Damn, I fail at both the intelligent posting AND the brown-nosing......is there any other way?

Heres a tip.

If you see someone breaking a rule, flaming incessantly, fighter bashing, or constantly posting messages specifically to annoy people, contact a moderator. And do not do any of those things you contact moderators about.

Thats a good start.

Be a snitch? Nobody respects a snitch, not even the cops!

Seriously.

I'm relatively new to the boards and would love a potential part time job/hobby seeing how I am always on these boards.

If you're looking for a part-time job, you might want to actually look for a part-time job, as opposed to modding an internet forum voluntarily for no pay.

Show restraint, good judgement, and commitment to the site - the "job" probably isn't what you think it is anyway, it can be pretty trying at times.

It sounds like you're describing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back