How can anyone look at '04 Hughes, '10 Shields and '19 Colby/Usman and say the sport has evolved?

how can you look at them and say the sport is the same? Usman and Colby's striking are dramaticly better than Shields, who is a better striker than Hughes.

I mean just in terms of volume and pace the difference is gigantic.

Yeah, the level of wrestling is about the same but Colby and Usman are much better strikers, and their wrestling is more optimized for modern MMA.

The blueprint is still same:
  • Have an extensive background in wrestling
  • Learn sub skills along the way
  • Have superb cardio
  • Learn enough striking to defend yourself standing while learning to how use your striking to get the fight to the mat
Everyone talks about how the game has changed and evolved. Maybe. Maybe not. I think Hughes was ahead of the curb because he was with MFS with a real team and real coaches with extensive cross training in disciplines but now that's the standard.

I think the overall talent pool has evolved where before you might have a accomplished kickboxer at 26 start to learn the ground game so they could compete in mma now you have a 16 year old who's been wrestling for 4 year now would want to learn every aspect of fighting before he even started competing.

But it seems to the guys at the top the blueprint hasn't changed.

Hell Khabib falls into the same category. Mastered grappling then learned enough striking to complement it while having great cardio.

What does Sherdog think? Has the blueprint changed?
*curve

Why are you lying?

you said k “quoted you.” Please get your story straight fella
Cry me a river bitch....if I quoted you it was 3 days ago and your idiotic post wasn’t memorable enough to recall ....50,000 post u need a life

Cry me a river bitch....if I quoted you it was 3 days ago and your idiotic post wasn’t memorable enough to recall ....50,000 post u need a life

lol you’re def mentally insane. You quoted me first then yelled at me “for quoting you.” Lmfao. If it wasn’t important or memorable why did you quote me to begin with.

Oh I know why because you’re another knuckle dragging internet dummy who can’t just admit when he’s wrong. No big deal fella but you’re 100% wrong here.

lol you’re def mentally insane. You quoted me first then yelled at me “for quoting you.” Lmfao. If it wasn’t important or memorable why did you quote me to begin with.

Oh I know why because you’re another knuckle dragging internet dummy who can’t just admit when he’s wrong. No big deal fella but you’re 100% wrong here.
I already apologized 3 msgs ago ....if I quoted you first it was 3 days ago before the migration and I don’t recall.....sorry again...I was wrong....lol at “ I yelled at you “ ....did I really yell lol....also sorry if my “ yelling “ startled you

Last edited:
Hughes' striking got much better after his prime was over, I think TS is combining Hughes' striking skill post-prime and his grappling and physical ability during his prime which would be better than Hughes was at any point in his career. Hughes was beating Kos pretty badly on the feet till Kos realized Hughes didn't have enough power to hurt him.
Hughes landed a couple shots ....wouldn’t say he was beating him badly

The skillset doesn't evolve in leaps and bounds. The techniques we see have been in place for decades, if not hundreds of years. Nobody is making new shit up that hasn't been done before.

The evolution, like all professional sports, is in the athleticism (better nutrition, training, understanding of physiology, recovery, etc.). This results in faster mechanics, quicker reflexes, faster thinking. Better conditioned athletes. That's where the evolution comes from.

Almost 40 people like this? Yes technique evolves but eventually it plateaus like you see in boxing. That's why I think the OP has a good point. Boxing technique definitely evolved, even if some of the ATGs had techniques that are used by most boxers today. Just look at how they used to 'shadowbox' and hit the heavy bag. Today boxing technique has plateaued. Trainers and fighters know what techniques work best to win and these are adapted to the fighters athleticism, mentality and what comes naturally to them.

As for athleticism the dominant factor here is genetics. Period. Well, that and PEDs. You don't get athleticism from nutrition or understanding of physiology. Sorry it doesn't work like that or the wealthiest kids in the world would be among the best fighters since they'd have access to those resources since birth.

I already apologized 3 msgs ago ....if I quoted you first it was 3 days ago before the migration and I don’t recall.....sorry again...I was wrong....lol at “ I yelled at you “ ....did I really yell lol....also sorry if my “ yelling “ startled you

Okay you’re forgiven

giphy.gif

Excuse him. He’s unwell

Covington would annihilate Hughes, you cannot be 1 dimensional today. That's what you aren't grasping. Hughes' standup was so terrible he would never get a takedown on a modern high level mma fighter, he wouldn't even get close.

Damien Maia recently challenged for a title shot and was over 40 when he did it. Prime Hughes would be top 10 today.

Hughes landed a couple shots ....wouldn’t say he was beating him badly

Hughes was clearly outstriking Koscheck but like I said he didn't have enough power to hurt him so Koscheck eventually just walked through his strikes and landed big bombs. My point was Hughes' striking got better after he was declining.

We don't know that. You're assuming. I think Hughes is bigger, stronger, has a better tank and is more skilled in the grappling department than Colby. Colby might have better fundamental striking though but Hughes has a bigger punch.

Stop all of that. Lol. Not a big Colby fan, but he'd smash Hughes.

Hughes was clearly outstriking Koscheck but like I said he didn't have enough power to hurt him so Koscheck eventually just walked through his strikes and landed big bombs. My point was Hughes' striking got better after he was declining.
I just rewatched that fight out of boredom last night ( on YouTube) ....Hughes striking looked awful as usual.....his defence was closing his eyes and hoping for the best ....No balance and of course as soon as he eats one big shot he is completely done and never recovers ....unsure if he improved a bit or he was forced to use his shitty striking because he could no longer get takedowns ....Hughes was a great wrestler and extremely underrated BJJ , but his standup akways looked terrible imo

lol Hughes was KOed in the first round; the first outburst of Koschek landed on Hugues, in the 2nd one dazed him, in the 3rd one KOed him.
Hughes went out there throwing an unbalanced jab, connected a couple of them, you heard Rogan praising "Hughes surprising striking skills" and you swallowed it lol

Hughes came with the game plan of out-jabbing Hughes, landed a couple, and got KOed in the 1st. His standup was awful.

PD - Dont take what Rogan says serious at all

I just rewatched that fight out of boredom last night ( on YouTube) ....Hughes striking looked awful as usual.....his defence was closing his eyes and hoping for the best ....No balance and of course as soon as he eats one big shot he is completely done and never recovers ....unsure if he improved a bit or he was forced to use his shitty striking because he could no longer get takedowns ....Hughes was a great wrestler and extremely underrated BJJ , but his standup akways looked terrible imo

Indeed, anyone watching that striking display and not realizing is awfull, and not in the level of even Usman or Colvington, just dont have a clue; there is no way around it

Indeed, anyone watching that striking display and not realizing is awfull, and not in the level of even Usman or Colvington, just dont have a clue; there is no way around it
To be fair .... if seen NobiasjustMma (?) on here enough that I think he knows his shit ..... he may have commented on a fight he hadn’t seen in a while ....plus I don’t think he was saying he thought Hughes striking was good , just that it had improved

Back