How can anyone look at '04 Hughes, '10 Shields and '19 Colby/Usman and say the sport has evolved?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Bend NvR Break, Mar 24, 2020.

1. 560ti

560ti Brown Belt

I agree 100x with this. Look at Guy Mezger for example

Mezger was a state champion wrestler, professional kickboxing, brown belt in BJJ, and had 46 professional MMA fights.

It's been almost 20 years since his last fight and his skillset/credentials still hold value today.

The main thing that's changed since then is like you said athletisism (Mezger was small for the weight class and due to poor training methods had too many gym wars leading to his chin detoriating).

The exact replica of Mezger in 2020 would be a middleweight training at ATT and would arguably be a top 15 fighter in the world

2. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Hughes was a huge WW. Well over 200 pounds. Colby could fight at 155. He's said multiple times that he fights at 170 to avoid the weight cut and have a better gas tank.

Hughes in 04 is bigger and stronger than Colby in 19. That shouldn't be questioned.

This colby literally saying 170-180 pounds is his natural weight. He doesn't cut weight. He eats down to 170.

Hughes walked around at 200+ pounds and cut to 170. (Different era. Easier to rehydrate with IVs)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  3. mst-dot

mst-dot Brown Belt

In terms of size i place alot more weight on your college weight in general.. I could be wrong, but i. My experience its usually the case.

Either way they wrestled the cream of the crop at 174. Heisnt overwheming them with brute strength like he did at 158

Combined with the obvious striking disadvantage which is easy to see with the naked eye and basicaly non debatable.

Neither of them get tired either

4. Bend NvR Break

I don't see an obvious striking advantage/disadvantage. While Colby might be more fundamentally sound Hughes definitely had more power in his hands and could hurt you. That power makes up and equals out any difference in their striking.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  5. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Silver Belt

to add to that it's also coaches game planning and knowing how to win a fight against the type of opponent you're watching.

Natural Order and Bend NvR Break like this.
  6. mst-dot

mst-dot Brown Belt

Hughes striking was fundamentally awful stiff and slow. Basic repetitive combos with no fluidity whatsoever.

Even a battle worn robbie lawler is light years ahead of Hughes in power speed accuracy etc and colby spent significant periods on the feet with him without any worries.

Just looking at Hughes it's obvious he never dedicated large amounts of time to striking

You can clearly see the cuban boxing influences in colby style

You can clearly see the dutch kickboxong influence in martys Kickboxing

Theyve been working hard at it for years now and it shows

Hughes in comparison looks like a fighter from a generation before in comparison (which he is)

Edit: sorry for the spelling. Phone is acting weird

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. blaseblah

blaseblah Steel Belt

Don't be ridiculous. Usman has outstruck most of his opponents while standing, Khabib has not.

8. Bend NvR Break

I can agree.

With that said, if prime Hughes stepped into the cage with the same Robbie that Colby did, then Robbie is getting pounded into an eventual stoppage.

9. Bend NvR Break

So has Khabib actually. Give me one opponent who has out struck him on the feet. Not MJ. Not Barboza. Not RDA. Not ragin Al. Not McGregor. Who has?

10. Versace

Versace Bezos Belt Double Yellow Card

Hughes was one-dimensional and sucked. Dude lost to Dennis Hallman twice lmfao

He wouldn't even be ranked today, the bum.

11. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Dude should’ve kicked his face in ...wtf was he waiting for

DM1982 likes this.
  12. Bend NvR Break

McGregor lost to Joe Duffy. He must be trash.
    Masdival got inverted triangle by that Bellator wash out guy. Masdival must suck.

Stipe lost to Struve. Take away his professional fighting credentials.

DM1982 and Typrune Goatley like this.
  13. Versace

Versace Bezos Belt Double Yellow Card

Hughes lost to the bum twice in his prime, which is the difference between him and Conor/Stipe

Absolute trash.

14. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Ahh no .... if Hughes stood with Robbie Lawker for as long as Colby did .... he would get put to sleep ....Hughes showed very little pop on his punches except for catching Ricardo Almedia ....Colby faster , more creative....light years better defensively....you’ve made several good points throughout this thread ..,,, I feel you’re reaching a bit with this one imo

MMACroatia and Bend NvR Break like this.
  15. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

What was his one dimension ? He was a great wrestler and the arm bar he hit on GSP was a thing of beauty .... you’re a bit harsh

16. dabouv

dabouv Purple Belt

I’d say the biggest difference is level,of athletes going into the sport. Wrestling is very old and I imagine Hughes would do about the same as current guys in wrestling at the level,he was. Now more top level,athletes view mma as an option and that is what is different. Go back further and the guys were one dimensional and Royce , who couldn’t make today’s bellator roster in his prime, was top dog.

Bend NvR Break likes this.
  17. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Pretty sure they would finish the same caliber of competition ..... they haven’t had the chance to fight Frank Trigg multiple times .....

18. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Gold Belt

I don't think those guys are the example. I think MMA has evolved, but I think it's ridiculously overstated. I think GSP is a better example, or Chuck Liddell (ultimately, most of these guys are just using a more disciplined defensive version of Chuck's gameplan to keep it standing and only train wrestling for that reason)... ROBBIE LAWLER - that dude was around forever, but managed to have like 3 or 4 title defenses (including the loss). The heavyweight division, too.
    Around the TUF 1 finale, they talked about Franklin as the new breed of MMA fighter. He could strike and grapple well - but he preferred to strike. How much better are most of these guys than him skillset-wise?
    I think the guys you described may even just be less talented/skilled versions of GSP at WW. But I do agree that the "NU BREED!" shit is often a joke. One guy said Yair would have beaten BJ at any point in BJ's career because of the evolution of the sport
    <Wenger85>
    Really? And people often say ridiculous shit like that when they talk about "the sport has evolved!"

Biggest evolution is fewer people suck in one area, and the lower and mid-level guys are more well rounded - but the GOATS, up to this point, have already come and gone.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  19. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Maia would best Hughes standing as well

20. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Very doubtful