How Can Anyone Believe O'Malley Will Ever Contend for the Belt?

Disturbing how many people on here have labelled O'Malley is "extremely talented" or "very skilled".

He is neither. He is a flashy striker with a big mouth, with the typical style that's good at crushing cans and attracting casual fans.

But as for his actual ability? Even forgetting about his extreme lack of durablity for a second, he is basic. He is rangy for the division, with decent speed and power, and quite basic amateur boxing skills. That's about it.

He'll get beaten by any ranked opponent just like Vera - he doesn't have the skill or toughness to compete with legit fighters in their prime - and Yan or Cejudo would make him look like an absolute scrub. Those 2 would be better described as "very skilled/talented".

Because he’s got Dana White privilege.

When the UFC thinks he’s ready they’ll find some way to give him a shot.

O'Malley is getting the McGregor, PPV star of the future treatment from the UFC so they're going to do everything in their power to get him to contend for a belt. Right now they're looking at the rankings and trying to figure out what's the most winnable but credible fight for him. Who's going to be O'Malley's Denis Siver.

I think it's probably Assuncao sad as it is to say. It'd be a tough fight for Sean in his prime but the reality is he's not in that prime anymore.

Disturbing how many people on here have labelled O'Malley is "extremely talented" or "very skilled".

He is neither. He is a flashy striker with a big mouth, with the typical style that's good at crushing cans and attracting casual fans.

But as for his actual ability? Even forgetting about his extreme lack of durablity for a second, he is basic. He is rangy for the division, with decent speed and power, and quite basic amateur boxing skills. That's about it.

He'll get beaten by any ranked opponent just like Vera - he doesn't have the skill or toughness to compete with legit fighters in their prime - and Yan or Cejudo would make him look like an absolute scrub. Those 2 would be better described as "very skilled/talented".
<JagsKiddingMe>

You're nuts. I'm far, far from an O'Malley fan but am at least capable of separating what he offers in the cage with his personality and Dana White privilege.

<JagsKiddingMe>

You're nuts. I'm far, far from an O'Malley fan but am at least capable of separating what he offers in the cage with his personality and Dana White privilege.

Yeah, and so am I.

Wait till he fights another ranked opponent and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Even before his fragile little legs went kaput, Vera was starting to walk him down, time him, and get the better of him. O'Malley is a can crusher, and Vs the elite of the division you'll see his skillset is very limited, if the UFC dare to give him another legit opponent.

Even washed up Aldo would give him a 1 sided beating.

People are too easily swayed by flashy strikers. As a huge fan of boxing and MMA since I was a kid, I'm capable of seeing who is style over substance and a can crusher, and O'Malley is exactly that.

As much as the UFC is known for their favouritism, you can’t escape high level fights. O’Malley is going to face the killers in his division if he wants to be a champion and only then we’ll known if he is championship material.

O'Malley reminds me of MVP only far less durable and I don't think he's as good relative to his division but he is flashy and people tend to overrated flashy fighters.

MMAth at its finest.

BTW.. Yan didn't tooled Aldo. It was pretty close until Aldo slowed down and Yan took over.

Also Omali looked good vs the punching bag.

Book Omali vs Salthagen just for fun.

UFC will keep feeding him cans until they can say he's on a "X fight winstreak" and then give him the most favorable matchup he could have in the top 10, and a title shot based off that. He will get a title shot just by beating nobodies thanks to the UFC marketing hype. He's the biggest cherrypicker in the game now since Conman.

I don't even say that as a 'hater' per se, thats just the facts: the guy is being protected, and not testing himself. He's fighting midgets and chinny veterans that dont have wrestling or KO power to threaten him.

Of course someone had to bring up Conor. The fuck does Conor have to do with this? And how tf did Conor cherry pick? His last 8 fights

Poirier (#2 LW)
Poirier (#2 LW, #10 P4P)
Cerrone (#10 LW)
Khabib (#1 LW, #4 P4P)
Alvarez (#1 LW, #4 P4P)
Nate
Nate
Aldo (#1 FW, #2 P4P)

So... in Conor's last 8 fights, 5 of them have been the #1 or #2 ranked in the division

And... 3 of them have been top 5 P4P ranked, with Dustin being top 10 P4P as well

Before Conor beat Aldo (#1 FW, #2 P4P) he beat for the FW title, he beat:

Mendes (#2 FW)
Siver
Dustin (#8 FW)
Diego Brandão
Holloway

There are so many GREAT reasons to hate Conor and so many great ways to detract from him. "Cherry picking" is an absolute farce and diagnostic for being a 100% casual.

Last edited:
He'll get a shot eventually, the UFC has been matching him with bums and cans until he gets a contender and crumble.

Let's see what happens when he gets another contender that's not a punching bag.

People been saying that about Charles Oliveira for a long time too.

We’ve seen a good amount of fighters face bad losses and have seen some that didn’t seem durable enough but still managed to cling to the top.

Sean is young and a good fighter. If he doesn’t have some dramatic fall in his career he will always have a chance to string together enough wins to get a title shot or even just be in the right place at the right time to get a shot.
I dont remember Charles having weak bones like OMalley

Can crusher

Enough skill with combined physical advantages that make him a hard fight for the lower end. Once he faces real competition, he will wilt. He needs to put on mass and actually fortify his body, as long as he's fighting at a weight that is not athletically optimal for his frame he will always have these health issues. Dude just recently nearly broke his whole body beating up a punching bag.

Last edited:
A goofy smack talking white guy= He’s one of the guys the UFC desperately wants as champ. They’ll find a way to get him in contention… look out for O’Malley vs Moutinho 2 for a title eliminator

<mma4>
Nope, the opposite. The UFC is not going to fast track him to the title picture. They will feed him can after can.

why force a finish? He was beating the fuck out of him standing. You don’t need a finish every time.

Because he is out for 6 months potentially as a result of continuing to strike. If he had a ground game or plan B he could have gotten Moutinho out of there or at least shown something that didn't involve him being unable to actually get a finish. That show case confirmed he is vulnerable to anyone that is durable and will never sniff the title against anyone that he can't either edge 3 rounds or KO. O'malley has been in the UFC for years now. Show some increased ability in your show case fight.

Moutinho was teaching classes the next day...

They're going to protect him as much as possible for as long as possible to keep him on PPV main cards. Dana isn't stupid. He knows that someone like Yan would devour him.

O'Malley is a genius striker. I legitimately believe he outstrikes anyone in that division.

it's the wrestling & grappling aspect that makes him questionable as a real championship-level prospect.

he certainly has the potential to be champ though, but we'll have to see how his takedown defence holds up against the top 5 guys at BW
Just out of curiosity what about his striking is genius? I see his striking as slightly above average, with above average attributes to enhance it. When he does like four feints before throwing a 1-2 I roll my eyes, against an equal opponent that is pure wasted energy lol

Back