How Can Anyone Believe O'Malley Will Ever Contend for the Belt?

People talk about O'Malley likes he's Sage Northcutt 2.0.

Come on now...

I'm not sure what O'Malley will do against the top ten, but we're at least two fights away from that. Jimmie Rivera or Cody Stamann would be tough tests, but that's after he fights Smolka for me.

I don't see the focus. Super talented striker but clearly isn't all in in becoming the best or the champ. You can see he doesn't have the supreme confidence he likes to portray otherwise he'd be pushing for a title fight or atleast challenge better fighters to get to the title.

He wants to be a celebrity and Instagram famous more than an MMA champion which is fine. Not everyone has the same ambitions.

The dude is making money and he hasn't even beaten a top 10 guy so he is doing something right for his brand. But yeah don't see the mental toughness and desire to be the best.

1) He actually pretty good. A lot of people here are too blinded by hate to see that the man actually has skills

2) He’s going receive favorable matchmaking on his way to the belt; The UFC is going to do everything in their power to stack the odds on Sean’s favor

3) There is a pretty good chance that he is going to get to skip the line:; Don’t be surprised if Sean gets booked against a highly ranked opponent before earning it

I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. I'll always tune in for an O'Malley fight because he'a entertaining to watch. And at some point he probably will get a shortcut to the top.

But is he good enough to hang with the top 10 in the most stacked division in the UFC? We know he has the standup but how will his ground game fare against strong grapplers like Merab and more polished strikers like Sandhagen? He's never been tested.

I get why the UFC is giving him favorable fights but they are hurting themselves in the long run if they keep building him up only to have him exposed once he actually fights a top contender.

Why not test him right away like other prospects such as Edmen and Kevin Holland? That way he can fix any holes in his game before facing tougher competition.

I believe in the possibility because I don't write off a 26 year old fighter based primarily off of a single performance.

Why not test him right away like other prospects such as Edmen and Kevin Holland? That way he can fix any holes in his game before facing tougher competition.

Because Sean O’Malley is already more valuable to company than those guys. O’Malley already has 1.8 million followers whereas Holland and Edmen got 400k combined. The UFC has something special popularity wise with Sean and won’t take unnecessary risks building him up

The fact that he had no other plan once he couldn't get the KO and has the longer suspension of the two isn't a good sign. I think O'malley will lose in any 5 rounder with a durable person. It's MMA, why not mix in some grappling and show us your ground game when you can't finish someone on the feet?

what do you mean no other plans? He won every second of the fight and would have won a 30-24 decision. What other plans did he need?

The fact that he had no other plan once he couldn't get the KO and has the longer suspension of the two isn't a good sign. I think O'malley will lose in any 5 rounder with a durable person. It's MMA, why not mix in some grappling and show us your ground game when you can't finish someone on the feet?

Hard to game plan on a very short notice, go with your bread and butter.

3 performance of the nights and 2 fight of the night in his last six say he deserves a title shot.

What a brutal one sided beatdown he dished out to welcome Kris Moutinho to the UFC. He poured it on in the final round and got the TKO.
1328072065.0.jpg

He's so big for the division. That kind of length, and his ability to use it, will let him jab his way to a lot of victories. It's not a huge stretch to see him as a contender, considering that the UFC seems to be catering to him.

I don't see him winning a belt, but he'll have success against some top level opponents simply because very few guys will be able to deal with his length.

In the last year and a half he's fought 5 times, 4-1 with 4 KO/TKO. What's the fucking problem now, Sherdog?

UFC will keep feeding him cans until they can say he's on a "X fight winstreak" and then give him the most favorable matchup he could have in the top 10, and a title shot based off that. He will get a title shot just by beating nobodies thanks to the UFC marketing hype. He's the biggest cherrypicker in the game now since Conman.

I don't even say that as a 'hater' per se, thats just the facts: the guy is being protected, and not testing himself. He's fighting midgets and chinny veterans that dont have wrestling or KO power to threaten him.

OMalley is too fragile to be a champ.

People been saying that about Charles Oliveira for a long time too.

We’ve seen a good amount of fighters face bad losses and have seen some that didn’t seem durable enough but still managed to cling to the top.

Sean is young and a good fighter. If he doesn’t have some dramatic fall in his career he will always have a chance to string together enough wins to get a title shot or even just be in the right place at the right time to get a shot.

Vera then goes on to get tooled on by Aldo,
Vera lost the first round against Aldo - this is normal he is a slow starter,

then Vera won the 2nd round striking battle.

The 3rd round is just Aldo went for surprised backpack and stay there for 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure they can see he has vulnerabilities but they are making the most that they can of him.

Only an idiot like omalley would tattoo a pic of himself on himself.

Back