How Can Anyone Believe O'Malley Will Ever Contend for the Belt?

kuroro

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Forget his abysmal performance against that punching bag. Vera kicks O'Malley's leg once and knocks him out. Vera then goes on to get tooled on by Aldo, who was previously dominated by Petr Yan. This guy will never survive as a ranked fighter in the UFC and probably not anywhere else.

The guy is his own worst enemy, especially if he keeps injuring himself every fight with his own strikes. So far he has not shown the durability to go to war with guys at the top of BW.
He’s better off crushing cans and hanging out with candy rappers if the UFC wants to keep selling him.

1) He actually pretty good. A lot of people here are too blinded by hate to see that the man actually has skills

2) He’s going receive favorable matchmaking on his way to the belt; The UFC is going to do everything in their power to stack the odds on Sean’s favor

3) There is a pretty good chance that he is going to get to skip the line:; Don’t be surprised if Sean gets booked against a highly ranked opponent before earning it

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, but I can't deny that he has amazing striking ability. Plus he's young. I don't think it's crazy at all to think he has champ potential.

Forget his abysmal performance against that punching bag. Vera kicks O'Malley's leg once and knocks him out. Vera then goes on to get tooled on by Aldo, who was previously dominated by Petr Yan. This guy will never survive as a ranked fighter in the UFC and probably not anywhere else.
Aldo didn't tool Vera that fight was close but a clear 29-28 for Aldo.

he's 26 years old and 5-1 in the ufc.

It's REALLY REALLY easy to see if you just use your imagination.

Who knows? He might even improve over all as a fighter. I know crazy, but sometimes fighters get better in the future opposed to the moment you're discussing them. I remember people saying Lewis would never fight for a ufc title same with mark hunt. They both fought for titles and lewis is going for his 2nd.

135 is a strike heavy division.

I never stopped to think about it, but It really is. It's also the best division in the sport imo right.

if they wanted O'malley to get a title shot they could find a path for them Just keep him away from merab.

I learned a long time ago not to judge a fighter too early.

Who believes that?? Lemme see him win against 2-3 top 10s and he might have a chance.

He should move up and stop hiding at 135 if he wants to be champion..LW , WW,MW all work with his frame ...

Hes too skinny for 135 Nd his legs will always be a target after the vera fight

are we watching the same fights ?

- He had a sparring session with that last guy. couldn't knock him out but some guys have a granite chin. would you say gaethje's performance against tony was abysmal because he didn't flatline him ?
- Vera kicked his leg out.. it happens. happened to former champs like conor and chandler.
- Aldo did not dominate Vera. it was 29-28. And Aldo spent the entire 3rd round backpacking for the win.

Typical sports fan view - if you're not an all time great, you're not that good. If you're not an undefeated prospect who has beaten top gatekeepers, you'll never amount to anything.

O'Malley is more likely to be a contender than current/former contenders/champs like Sterling (lost to Caraway, Assuncao, Moraes), Dillashaw (Assuncao, John Dodson), Moraes (Assuncao + 5 other losses prior to UFC).

Because O'Malley is 26, 6-1 in the UFC. Of course he could become a contender someday. And he could flame out too, but I definite see that possibility that he becomes a contender.

He's so fragile. I don't like him, but he's super talented.

Typical sports fan view - if you're not an all time great, you're not that good. If you're not an undefeated prospect who has beaten top gatekeepers, you'll never amount to anything.

O'Malley is more likely to be a contender than current/former contenders/champs like Sterling (lost to Caraway, Assuncao, Moraes), Dillashaw (Assuncao, John Dodson), Moraes (Assuncao + 5 other losses prior to UFC).

Because O'Malley is 26, 6-1 in the UFC. Of course he could become a contender someday. And he could flame out too, but I definite see that possibility that he becomes a contender.
<36>

He is winning fights.
That is how.

Don't think he can roll/rassle, but
135 is a strike heavy division.
He has to be durable enough to handle the heat vs fighters at the top of the division. Look at the recent TJ vs Sandhagen fight. Do you think O'Malley has that kind of durability? Compare that performance vs his performance vs Kris.

Back