How can a 205er land so many flush head kicks

The term "point fighter" etc, is way overused. He's not a point striker, he's just not one or two shot power striker. In his last few fights he's competed against guys who are exceptionally hard to finish as well. Not just anybody can withstand Jones' attacks.

Jones doesn't exactly have Mirko-legs.

Just sayin.

Jones doesn't exactly have Mirko-legs.

Just sayin.

It's true but you don't need Mirko legs to kick hard (though the do help). Look at Ernesto host, Mr. Perfect had pretty damn skinny legs, almost as skinny as Jones', but he could still blast dudes with his kicks. I still think it's primarily an issue of kicking through the target rather than a physical thing, I think Jone's has all the requisite size and flexibility to smash dudes.

I definitely do not think Jones is a point fighter.

With all his finishes and every media outlet calling him the current P4P GOAT and best LHW the sport has ever seen, I don't know how you could think he's a point fighter.

and not even phase their opponent? Do you guys agree that Jon Jones is a point fighter and uses his reach to score without hurting opponents?

No power/too much Estrogen.

He hit Cormier with a nice flush straight to the chin and didn't even phase him. If that was Gus who hit Cormier with that shot it would have been lights out or at the least have him in a world of trouble. The goat has pillow hands and kicks. However his elbows are a different story.

Last edited:
HE doesn't have one punch power which is why Idu why fighters don't just pressure the shit out of him. Don't respect his stand up, it's not that good. It's only good because the fear of wrestling and if you stay back he'll pick you apart. He's gonna take you down anyway so why not brawl it out?

Problem is, that just like with Silva, guys are mentally defeated before they go in the cage.

And also, every single fighter Jones has fought for the belt against has had a granite chin or exceptional movement.

Glover
Cormier
Gus
Shogun
Page
Rashad
Machida

How many times has these guys been KTFO?

Last edited:
JJ didnt land many clean kicks on DC's head, if I remember right, there were thrown in close and grazed DC

and not even phase their opponent? Do you guys agree that Jon Jones is a point fighter and uses his reach to score without hurting opponents?

Too bad for Jones that eye pokes don't score points. But yeah he seriously lacks power. It's another reason he won't fight at HW, he wouldn't be able to KO guys who can KO him.

Jon Jones is most definitely a point fighter. Does he throw head kicks deliberately for points? Maybe not, but his big toe isn't going to knock any one out.

But his flashy (ugly) spinning elbows and spinning back kicks will score points and that's why he throws them. He throws head kicks and leg kicks primary to keep his smaller opponents at range.

His striking is heavily overrated and am amazed that its not said as much around here.

Jon Jones is most definitely a point fighter. Does he throw head kicks deliberately for points? Maybe not, but his big toe isn't going to knock any one out.

But his flashy (ugly) spinning elbows and spinning back kicks will score points and that's why he throws them. He throws head kicks and leg kicks primary to keep his smaller opponents at range.

His striking is heavily overrated and am amazed that its not said as much around here.

His boxing sucks, that doesn't make him a point fighter.

JJ is usually building to a finish. Nobody thought he was going to KO Rampage, but they stood for majority of that fight.

I'm not sure how to judge Jones' power, people say he has no power but he sure seems to damage his opponents. He's rocked/staggered everyone he's fought.

He hit Cormier with a nice flush straight to the chin and didn't even phase him. If that was Gus who hit Cormier with that shot it would have been lights out or at the least have him in a world of trouble. The goat has pillow hands and kicks. However his elbows are a different story.

How many one punch knockouts does Gus have? He landed 100+ head punches against Jon & he never even buckled.

Gus blocked most of the head kicks in their fight anyway.

I'm not sure how to judge Jones' power, people say he has no power but he sure seems to damage his opponents. He's rocked/staggered everyone he's fought.

Of course a grown 205lb man with martial arts training can rock/stagger someone with an accumulation of strikes. But when we say he lacks power we mean he hasn't KO'd anyone with a single strike or even a combination. It takes a few rounds and numerous strikes to hurt his opponents where guys "with power" can stop a guy with one punch or kick.

And Cormier hit Jones with a few of the uppercuts that put Bigfoot out, yet Jones didn't even flinch -- does Cormier have pillow hands as well?

Perhaps these are just tough-ass guys at the top of the game for a reason, particularly the last few. When is the last time you've seen Gus or Cormier put out?

This is the kind of thread I expect from a white belt. The Jones bashing is getting out of hand.

I wouldn't say that he is a point fight, I just think he lacks a bit of power.

Jones is an attrition fighter, he lands strikes in almost every way and wears guys down into the ground for a mid-late fight finish. The guys who survive do so because they're tough, not because Jones has pillow fists.

Having said that, Jones does have two KOs from his earlier fights. The videos have been posted 1,000 times here already though, also easily searchable through Google as well.

Back