How big of a deal was CM Punk in WWE?

He was probably the most over guy on the roster when he left, minus 'Taker and maybe Bryan. For good reason too; charismatic, great on-the-mic skills, great worker in the ring, had a more realistic gimmick than most, etc. He was basically the antithesis of the typical bodybuilder-looking wrestler, who knows like 3 moves, that Vince likes to push. Smarter crowds these days seem to prefer that.

Smart crowds at WWE events, aka the trashy rednecks festivals?

[YT]YaZzbwmF0fk[/YT]

[YT]5qapRQnN9HM[/YT]

CM Punk was big. Infact you could say he left around the peak of his career. WWE is half propaganda and half cheesy wrestling.

The Stone Cold/Rock era will never be topped.

At his peak he was only second to the Rock and brock and undertaker

It's easy to be 'charismatic' when you've got a team of script writers

I'm not sure you've ever watched the black and white intros they have during the start of the UFC pay per views before...not everyone is Conor McGregor.

Well... i don't know shit about CM Punk's previous work
But if he turns out to be just as terrible as most ppl expect, I hope it's an awakening for the UFC to stop this bullshit trend of treating MMA like WWE
If you can cut big promos and knows how to sell fights, that's a big plus on your resume.
But it all comes down to beating the shit out of your opponent... We don't need no actors or stand up comedians... We want real fighters beating ppl up!
#justbleed

Big enough to get a UFC contract with no fighting experience.

I can't tell ya, I stopped watching that garbage when I was a kid.

Just like cartoons.

Perfect answer and why is anyone talking about a lame ass wrassler coming when we got a real fighter like Fedor maybe coming to the UFC. All talk about lame ass fake fighters should end now because Fedor is in the house.

I dunno, he's got a high ranking on the wwe game though.

It's easy to be 'charismatic' when you've got a team of script writers

Couldn't be further from the truth. I know you're probably too cool for Pro Wrestling, but if you paid attention over the years, you'd realize that the wrestlers are far less charismatic with scripted promos. Punk was one of the very few who got say what he wanted, and not have to recite a script word for word.

It's harder to have a personality, when somebody else is writing one for you.

Perfect answer and why is anyone talking about a lame ass wrassler coming when we got a real fighter like Fedor maybe coming to the UFC. All talk about lame ass fake fighters should end now because Fedor is in the house.

probably because at punk is more relevant than fedor at this point

He was pretty popular. He really made his popularity off being a whiny little bitch though, throwing tantrums, being a general asshole, and airing out dirtry behind the scenes laundry to the fans.

[YT]qhzwhAYy5hA[/YT]

This is one of the best heel things I've seen. The kids faces at 1.05 and 1.08 became meme worthy. Also the beginning of the Straight Edge Society.

i kekd

This guy wouldve been awesome in the attitude era

Well... i don't know shit about CM Punk's previous work
But if he turns out to be just as terrible as most ppl expect, I hope it's an awakening for the UFC to stop this bullshit trend of treating MMA like WWE
If you can cut big promos and knows how to sell fights, that's a big plus on your resume.
But it all comes down to beating the shit out of your opponent... We don't need no actors or stand up comedians... We want real fighters beating ppl up!
#justbleed

No one disagrees in principle, but who sold UFC 189? And who had the better fight between the main event and Rory-Lawler? Half the people who bought it probably didn't even know the WW title fight was happening. YOU might not care for promos, but I can guarantee whatever card they end up putting him on will sell a lot.

Back