How big of a deal was CM Punk in WWE?

I just doubt he's got the athleticism required. Everyone in the WWE has to have some athleticism, and some are very good athletes, like maybe D1 level basketball/football, but for punk to come in and make an impact with such little training he'd have to be a Lebron level athlete and I just don't believe he is.

Since I've never seen the guy in action, I'll take your word for it. Just hope that translates into mma, it's not always that it does.

I understand that it's not an american thing and it's also big in other countries like Mexico and Japan. Hell, they even broadcast it back here in Brazil, I just never got the time to watch it.

But it's more niche than mma, so I take I'm not the only ignorant fool that was lost when people started talking about him and WWE.

Nobody is thinking you are an 'ignorant fool' for not knowing Punk.
Vince turned down a Jon Jones appearance because he felt a lot of WWE fans wouldn't know him & Chael couldn't even get a meeting with Vince or HHH (he said he was told by some guy in the office he was too old to start training).

Punk's biggest asset will be the weeks leading up to the fight.
With Zuffa FINALLY understanding how to hype events/fighters, Punk will be helpfull by promoting the card in that sense.

Doesn't mean much. I bet there are dozens of people with more followers than that and I've never heard about them.

It isn't about YOU though
There are a shitload of popular music acts that I never heard of, that doesn't negate they can sell tix

It isn't about YOU though
There are a shitload of popular music acts that I never heard of, that doesn't negate they can sell tix

I wish people would understand this one thing...

popular=/=good. For example. Justin Beiber is more popular on youtube than Beethoven, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rachmaninoff (insert people with talent), etc.

Quite frankly, I don't give two flying fucks if they talk shit or are popular. That's because I don't care about Dana/Lorenzo's wallet, I just wanna see good fights.

As far as fighting goes, he obviously wasn't ready to jump right into a UFC fight and was very aware of that. He knew he'd have to train very hard, and from what his training partners have said, he's put in a ton of work and improving every day, even if no one's expecting him to reach contender status.

But what he does have going for him is endurance, which is good. WWE isn't real fighting but you have to have insane cardio to do what guys like him did. 30 minute matches of being thrown around and throwing other people around is very taxing, and while much of the "pain" of being hit is sold and made to be as safe as possible, not everything can be faked to have no effect on you. Being suplexed in pro wrestling is still being thrown onto a mat, and there's always small mistakes where a move is slightly misplaced and someone gets hit harder than they should. So while his BJJ probably won't reach Maia status, he'll at least have a pretty good gas tank to get him through fights.

It's easy to be 'charismatic' when you've got a team of script writers

True, but there's more to it than that. They could give Phil Davis the script for Denzel Washington's role in Training Day but that doesn't mean it will be good.

Also idk how much input Punk had on what he would say (I know he at least did his own stuff a little bit), but there's other guys like Bray Wyatt who pretty much make their promos themselves and they're very good. He is a good speaker and he's already gotten in fun twitter fights before he's even fought.

He's worked hard for years to get where he is wrestling some times strong style matches so it's not like he doesn't have good cardio. And as far as i'm aware he's straight edge so he's done it all in a business where the majority are working on steroids.

I think this is better than the James Toney thing.

He was a very good worker in the ring. Yes, obviously wrestling's not real fighting, but he had the ability to pull off anything almost flawlessly. And he was great as both a face and a heel. I think he's the first wrestler in a long time to match or beat John Cena in merch sales.

He's not as physically imposing as Brock and i highly doubt he'll come anywhere near his success in MMA, but he'll undoubtedly pull a lot of numbers for his fights.

Please, he sort of sucked, his kicks looked pathetic... He was only good at talking.

GkcCT7B.gif

Please, he sort of sucked, his kicks looked pathetic... He was only good at talking.

GkcCT7B.gif

You know they're not actually supposed to kick people or give real armbars right? It looks more like his opponent messed up his placement too, which is why he got up.

I mean, I can do this too

vwcVpk9.gif

You know they're not actually supposed to kick people or give real armbars right? It looks more like his opponent messed up his placement too, which is why he got up.

I mean, I can do this too

vwcVpk9.gif

Find a video of Punk looking good throwing strikes now...

And yes it is supposed to be a "real armbar" minus the force applied, not sitting on his head.

Find a video of Punk looking good throwing strikes now...

And yes it is supposed to be a "real armbar" minus the force applied

I never said Punk is a good striker, I don't know how good he'll end up, I'm just commenting on his skills in pro wrestling.

And like I said, his opponent didn't seem to be doing the right thing. He should be rolling to his stomach in something like that. If you're not applying force you can't force them into taking it properly.

For all of us that are not american and don't follow that "wrestling" thing.

I understand why Lesnar was a big deal, the guy is huge. A shaven* sasquatch.

CM punk on the other hand looks like an out of shape middle aged man. Why do people keep talking about him? Was him that much of a deal in WWE or whatever else? He doesn't look like an athelete and he has no fighting background. Why should he even fight?

at his height he was the 2nd most popular guy in the company, but keep in mind that this was during a time when the company was (and still is) kinda slumping. so, big fish, small pond.

tv ratings & ppv buyrates while he was main eventing were mediocre at best.

GkcCT7B.gif

he was not a gifted technical wrestler. even his most lauded matches (that john cena one in 2011 for example) were filled with weak-looking offense and botched moves.

the guy is unathletic as fuck.

How long before he is actually ready to fight?

Any time frame been given?

I wish people would understand this one thing...

popular=/=good. For example. Justin Beiber is more popular on youtube than Beethoven, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rachmaninoff (insert people with talent), etc.

Quite frankly, I don't give two flying fucks if they talk shit or are popular. That's because I don't care about Dana/Lorenzo's wallet, I just wanna see good fights.

Everyone understands that

The question in the thread was ...
How big of a deal was CM Punk in WWE?

Because a few people in here never heard of him, that does not negate the millions that did/do

It's easy to be 'charismatic' when you've got a team of script writers

From what I understand he did his own promos. That's what separated him from the rest. Also, that's why he was such a whiny bitch when he left WWE. He wanted to do his own thing and the company does what's best for the company and you are not always best for the company.

Back