How Big Of A Deal Is Practicing Takedowns?

An MMA fight, a self defense situation, even a grappling tournament where an opponent defends and refuses to go down and then Schaubs it a little and tries to stall out by mildly disengaging.

If they refuse to engage, I don't know a single grappling tournament beyond metamoris that wouldn't DQ

An MMA fight, a self defense situation, even a grappling tournament where an opponent defends and refuses to go down and then Schaubs it a little and tries to stall out by mildly disengaging.

MMA: yes

self defense: eh, it is pretty easy to drag an untrained person down. Defending takedowns is an art all by itself. I think people vastly overestimate the ability of untrained people to stop even a tackle.

BJJ: Not really a problem. Pull guard and sweep if you want to be on top. Schaub lost, so I don't see the problem. If a guy wants to lose on points or advantages rather than engaging, that's his issue.

Im a wrestler, I understand the value of takedowns, but really in BJJ, it isn't that big of a deal. My personal opinion is that in self defense, it is pretty minor. In MMA, sure, but then you wouldn't just be training BJJ either. Also, we have finite time in the real world. If we spend half our time on takedowns, it is going to take twice as long to reach the same level on the ground. The whole point of BJJ is that the ground is really the important part, that's what separates it from Judo. "Ok you took me down and pinned me- what are you going to do about it?" is sort of the idea in my mind.

depends on how long you've been training - training takedowns if you don't know how to fall properly is dangerous/silly.

so this is a real thread and question. i assume that they teach takedowns and wasn't trying to imply that they didn't. the problem is that there are no takedowns in sparring. the reason i was given was that too many injuries come from sparring with takedowns, and they prefer to start all sparring on the knees/in guard.

If they refuse to engage, I don't know a single grappling tournament beyond metamoris that wouldn't DQ

I did specify mild disengagement, which I suppose indicates "stalling." If a person is pretending like they're working just to get around the ref's DQ but you know they're just running the clock out, if you can't take them down then you've got nothing. It's almost the same thing as not being able to sweep them. And if they're 100% defending submissions too, you're not going to win.

self defense: eh, it is pretty easy to drag an untrained person down. Defending takedowns is an art all by itself. I think people vastly overestimate the ability of untrained people to stop even a tackle.

I'm hesitant to even think Demetrious Johnson would be able to takedown a 260 lb. Tank Abott wannabe at the local pub, and Demetrious is good at TDs. For someone who doesn't train any TDs, good luck there.

BJJ: Not really a problem. Pull guard and sweep if you want to be on top. Schaub lost, so I don't see the problem. If a guy wants to lose on points or advantages rather than engaging, that's his issue.

If you're up against a staller, you're gonna lose.

Also, we have finite time in the real world. If we spend half our time on takedowns, it is going to take twice as long to reach the same level on the ground.

People don't learn things as robotic as you make it seem. People learn at all kinds of different paces, varying from person to person. If you spend half the session doing TDs and half the session doing ground, you're going to learn at the same pace anyway. An extra half an hour of ground isn't going to be transforming anyone into Buchecha.

The whole point of BJJ is that the ground is really the important part, that's what separates it from Judo. "Ok you took me down and pinned me- what are you going to do about it?" is sort of the idea in my mind.

Judo has submissions and ground game. If you're talking about a wrestler pinning someone, it is rather instinctual to GNP someone into dust.

Today I went to judo class for the first time.

It was strength circuit and armbars today LOL

I would think if you want to have the ability to take someone down at some point, then practicing it would be good. Personally, I've done Judo and Japanese Jujutsu in the past and feel ok about my takedown abilities.

The school I am training at right now (Gracie Barra) practices takedowns during the techniques along with ground techniques with more emphasis on ground techniques. During the advanced classes, they start sparring standing up work the takedowns.

Practising lots of sparring and competition in judo will give you the best takedown AND the best takedown defense! Free style wrestling is good also, but judo is generally better on using surprising leg attacks and leg sweeps for fast takedowns…

If you can't take your opponent to the ground then your Jiu-Jitsu is effectively useless.

We train takedowns regularly, but it's often hard to spar with takedowns because of space limitations.

We do occasionally have sparring with only takedowns with rotation.

It is the best way to manage space.
Everyone do tachiwaza or newaza but not both at the same time.

At my old school we never started on the feet. We learned takedowns but never really applied them. At my current school we almost always start from the feet. When I first started there I was pretty nervous and I thought I was too old and that my knees were too bad, but starting on the feet turned out to be the best thing for me. It's amazing how much I've improved just by being forced to try to take someone down and defend takedowns.

I'm hesitant to even think Demetrious Johnson would be able to takedown a 260 lb. Tank Abott wannabe at the local pub, and Demetrious is good at TDs. For someone who doesn't train any TDs, good luck there.

I have seen DJ takedown heavyweight wrestlers. I am about Dj's weight and have trained with him before. I am hesitant to think anyone in town could stop my takedowns in a street fight, regardless of weight.

I have seen DJ takedown heavyweight wrestlers. I am about Dj's weight and have trained with him before. I am hesitant to think anyone in town could stop my takedowns in a street fight, regardless of weight.
That's incredible...

Takedown's are super important. If you can't get the fight to the ground, your BJJ is practically useless.

We do takedowns + they offer seperate Judo classes.

Almost nobody from BJJ classes crosses to the Judo class, seems crazy to me but most seem satisfied to be guard pullers. Some guys have a decent double or single but realistically you need to go train Judo or Wrestling in a seperate class to be be very good.

I feel sorry for you if you have to roll starting from the knees every time, I would not want to train that way.

Rolls tend to go to the ground pretty quick one way or another, either someone pulls guard or a takedown.

I'd look somewhere else to train.

Back