How big can a guy realistically get with JUST BJJ?

I'm an ectomorph and finally started gaining some mass until I started BJJ... then just got lean, and lost about 6-10pounds of mass.

Anyway, you totally have to do some lifting, strength and conditioning or functional strength exercises if you want to build mass...

Ninja_yes.png

seems legit

Really vague and somewhat stupid question, but how big can a natural average 5' 10" guy get with just BJJ and maintaining a calorie surplus?

Not particularly big to be honest.

I have trained judo rather than BJJ, but in terms of fitness it would not be so different. With judo plus maybe one weight session and one boxing session a week, I got a bit slimmer and maybe a tiny bit more muscular, but really my looks did not change much over the past few years and neither did my weight. I did get stronger though, especially in terms of grip strength, and maybe hip explosiveness.

If you want big pecs and biceps and stuff you really should lift weights instead of doing martial arts, and indeed instead of doing any other sport. You can still do both of course. But I think you should fit in at least 3-4 lifting days every week plus adequate rest, and then see your other activities as optional extras for a while. Then you will get bigger, if that is what you want.

i got a little more muscle mass

but i started at 5'9 60kg (135 pounds)

broader shoulders, little bit stronger etc

Back