How big can a guy realistically get with JUST BJJ?

Went from lifting and rugby at 5'11 and 175lbs to almost only BJJ, which made me lose about 10lbs of muscle mass and 5lbs of fat. To answer your question, not very big.

Probably about 300 lbs from some of the guys I've seen.

I would recommend pizza and sitting out rolls.

For the pizza part, just call your favorite pizza place. Ask them to deliver you a large pizza every day at dinner time, whether you call them or not. Just say you're always down for one. They will be thrilled at this business opportunity and should have no problem accommodating your goal.

For the roll part, just remember these words: "I'm just going light today."

You should cross 200 lbs before you even know it. 300 is going to be tough, but you just have grind it out to reach your goal.

this haha

the idea of putting on mass by doing jiu jitsu is ridiculous. the focus is on NOT using energy and being as efficient as possible.

Went from lifting and rugby at 5'11 and 175lbs to almost only BJJ, which made me lose about 10lbs of muscle mass and 5lbs of fat. To answer your question, not very big.

Similar situation, 5'10, went from lifting and rugby (200lbs) to only BJJ. I initially lost muscle mass and fat, and actually started to look pretty skinny (160lbs). In the last 6 months I have stepped up the intensity and frequency of my training and have put back on some lean muscle (175lbs).

You sound like a total pussy.

Brittany_100%25_True.gif

I got to about three hundy eating like shit every single meal, using bacon as a condiment, making chocolate shakes a part of daily life and getting absolutely shitfaced immediately after every training session (3x a week was my average, I'd train just so I could justify hitting the liquor store on the way home). I'm 5'11" and in shape at around 185 lbs right now so it wasn't easy getting that big.

BJJ leans people out broh. You wanna bulk? Lift.

Make sure you have supplements for pre intra and post bjj if you really want to see huge gains!!!

You must be referring to dat vitamin S brah.

A lot of the guys who aren't complete wusses pick up a decent amount of muscle when first starting bjj from all the pulling of the gi.
But lifting heavy and roiding harder will make you huge much faster.

It is a lifetime struggle for most people to even put on 20 lbs of muscle naturally (post-adolescent) while lifting weights.. you will not put on significant size doing BJJ

I've been leaning out a lot from just bjj. I got so addicted that lifting days have been replaced with bjj. I do want to lean out some more but I'd also like to put on some muscle.

Good question! I went from 245 lbs weight lifter - thinking he was cool cuz he was big but with no cardio or means of defending hisself - to a 215-225 BJJ player. That's still HW mind you.

Doing a lot of rolling (like we do at my gym) will lean you out rrreal quick. You may also lose some muscle mass... but that's ok. Now you're training to be functional at a sport which is much more satisfying than being big for appearances. If you keep up the weight lifting (also, like i have) you should be able to keep MOST of ur strength gains while having less body fat.

I think the idea of being "big" and generally mens muscle dysmorphia is really unnatural, but will quickly fade when you find something like BJJ.

Really vague and somewhat stupid question, but how big can a natural average 5' 10" guy get with just BJJ and maintaining a calorie surplus?

I think the only correct answer is:

As big as he wants. Depends on the amount of the calorie surplus. Your question has nothing to do with BJJ.

I think the only correct answer is:

As big as he wants. Depends on the amount of the calorie surplus. Your question has nothing to do with BJJ.

I meant like low BF, obviously I can get 300 lbs. with a big enough surplus.

I meant like low BF, obviously I can get 300 lbs. with a big enough surplus.

I tend to gain weight (as lean muscle) during periods of training. The reason is that I ordinarily don't like eating food, but all the exercise somehow causes me to work up an appetite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back