How bad are Miesha's chances against Holm?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by basementdweller, Feb 19, 2016.

1. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

Hi Sherbros. I would like to share my views on the upcoming Holm/Tate fight. I think this is going to be a very easy win for Holly Holm and I wanna see if my opinion makes sense with the whole lot of you.

I believe, from watching Tate fight, that she is a very good grappler who has great defensive skills. She is good on the clinch and her boxing is improving but still needs work. She can hit hard but also gets tagged in her fights.

I see many problems for Tate coming into this fight. She can't expect to win a kickboxing match with Holly, who has a reach and height advantage as well as great skills, so she needs to try taking this fight to the ground. I don't know how good Miesha is at shooting for takedowns, but I see her trying to work a takedown from the clinch. That's very tricky because the last fighter who tried closing the distance, clinch and takedown Holly was Ronda Rousey, and we know how that ended for her.

Miesha Tate's last win by submission was before the UFC. It's very unlikely that she can KO/TKO Holm, so the most common scenario by far when Miesha wins is by decision. But I don't see how she'll stand for 5 rounds with Holly Holm, and take her down enough to get that win.

I feel that Ronda gives Holly the same problems Miesha can give, with the difference that Ronda is actually very dangerous and could get that win as long as Holly allowed the grapple to happen. Ronda is also better in getting takedowns from the clinch, and she couldn't make it work against Holly. What can Miesha do to win?

2. muaytao

muaytao Brown Belt

She can win if she fights like alverez

3. Mixedfights

Mixedfights Silver Belt

Holm wasn't awesome before her last fight so I'd say Mieshas chances are pretty good.

4. AWKWARD

AWKWARD Blue Belt

You think Holly will probably win? Don't go too far out on a limb.

5. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

If she can somehow make it confusing for Holm,by constantly switching between striking and takedowns...ala Chael Sonnen vs anderson...she can win...but I wouldnt bet money on it,Ive never seen her step up like id imagine shed need to,to pull this off. Maybe if she got her on her back she can get a submission,but i dont see her stopping holly with strikes standing or on the ground.

6. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

Some people are really biased in these kind of situations,Unless they are a big fan of the favorite

Analyst-wannabes usually tend to pick the underdog,even though they have no explanation for it

If the huge underdog wins,the pickers would be remembered,it would be impressive.They put it on their sig and stuff

If the underdog loses? Well no one would care or remember if they picked the underdog in the first place anyway. No harm done,nothing to lose

So yeah,just pick the huge underdog over and over till %10 chance happens and then brag about it

'Miesha by dec.'

Now we wait.

Milgrim likes this.
  7. Leinster Rugby

Leinster Rugby Black Belt

better than Ronda's

8. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

Not that bad, she'll have the judges and herb dean on her side.

Easier fight for Ronda you see

9. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

stop with the fuckin honesty plz,its got no place in this forum

SirKratos likes this.
  10. thrillkilla77

thrillkilla77 Green Belt

[​IMG]

Leinster Rugby likes this.
  11. Ashenthorn

Ashenthorn Black Belt

Holm will most likely win early from strikes, but Tate's submission grappling is still very good. Submitting Marloes Coenen (pretty much the consummate female MMA grappler in the championship rounds of a championship fight is no joke). In the UFC, she had Carmouche in a fully locked in RNC that Liz somehow gutted out. If Tate can pull out a win, it will be a result of experience. Just like Ronda Rousey had never had the experience of getting tagged repeatedly in a fight and was unable to react effectively when it happened, Holm has never had the experience of being fatigued and finding herself on the ground with a MMA grappler as effective as Miesha Tate. I'm sure being at Jackson's, Holm is trained well on the mat, but she's never experienced it in a fight. The early parts of the fight will favor Holm heavily, but that advantage could diminish in the later parts of the fight if Tate survives and both fighters fatigue. Then the odds increase of Tate being able to will herself to a takedown and establish a solid top position and work.

basementdweller likes this.
  12. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

Miesha by dec,Bisping wins,Cowboy oliveira wins,Vitor by knockout

Calling it now.

All the other underdogs seem like a good pick too.

13. GUSWER**

GUSWER** Purple Belt

Her chances are pretty bad. But what is really appalling is how this girl can get a 3rd shot at the title and Aldo, after 10 yrs as a champion, is sitting on the shelf.

14. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

I got CM Punk by Twister submisison

SirKratos likes this.
  15. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Im with you on Aldo not getting the shot,but miesha getting the shot isnt appalling,she keeps winning outside of the title shot...even if its not a total dominating victory like ronda has...the holm/miesha fight is very compelling...it give us a chance to see how someone with a different skillset will try to counteract what we saw in the holm/rousey fight. its smart by the UFC,because if Holm loses to grapplers,better it be Miesha than someone else other than ronda od course...

16. ChickenNugget

ChickenNugget ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

That's not a very educated guess.
    And by educated I mean, you didn't consider any circumstances of Holly's fights.
    She won all her fights by (T)KO or UD.
    The SD verdict against Pennington was laughable.
    Plus there are a number of injuries involved and it was her debut. Still, she won that fight pretty clearly.
    I'd say given Tate's poor fundamentals (over-extending on a lot of punches, shooting in from way too far, sluggish) she will be picked apart.
    Strength wise and technique wise she should be on the losing end.

sidecheckkick, Quinton Fields and HHJ like this.
  17. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

I think the right gameplan could see a competitive fight...but ive never seen that kind of dynamics from miesha before...or anyone in the womans division other than holly.

18. Woliwo

Woliwo Brown Belt

Hard to say really. I do think Holly have a bigger chance winning this, but I think Meisha will do better than most of us think.
    True, but that doesn't really say much :p

Leinster Rugby likes this.
  19. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

Tate has the potential to make this into a Raquel Pennington kind of fight. Holm has to get the W. Rousey Holm 2 has to happen for the betterment of humanity.

HHJ likes this.
  20. ChickenNugget

ChickenNugget ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

The right gameplan for Miesha would make it a very boring fight as well. Fortunately, I don't see Miesha being able to implement it.
    Closing the distance she'll run into Holm's darting counters.
    Also I believe that Holm uses her leverage way better than Tate, so I don't see the fight going to the ground or staying at the fence a long time.

But you're right, that'll be Tate's only chance (besides the obvious lucky punch).