How athletic are UFC fighters compared to athletes from other sports?

Really? What did you expect from someone who doesn't play BB? That's a silly comparison, ask a basketballer pro to fight in the octagon?

185373355-houston-rockets-player-dwight-howard-poses-gettyimages.jpg

I'd say the best pure athlete we have in the UFC right now, if we go purely by what they are able to do physically, would be John Dodson. just unbelievably fast and agile, all the while having legit KO power in a division that's practially void of it.

heres how shitty dodsons athleticism is

dodsonfail.gif

even this 18 1/2 stone eggman can do better

Shawn+Jordan+Backflips+UFC+on+FX+2.gif

Cain just gave up his belt rather than face Dwight Howard.

110513-UFC-Velasquez-NBA-Rockets-Howard-HF-PI_20131105161545334_660_320.JPG

...Skydome are you trolling, I seriously didn't expect this from you.

What is your definition of athleticism

960x540.jpg

A-Level Athlete

If you'd like to learn more google "JJ Watt"

Can any MMA fighter throw a 70 yard pass to a guy running 25 miles an hour while being hounded by another guy running 6 inches from him? I doubt it. Can any MMA fighter stop a 275lb guy running at his QB and prevent that guy from crushing his QB into the dirt? Mitrione and Schaub couldn't, so I doubt any MMA fighter could. Can any MMa fighter jump 4 feet in the air and dunk a basketball? 6'4" Jon Jones couldn't.

This is the worst logic I've ever seen. Skill and talent is not athleticism.

Could Lebron stand in a cage and not get taken out within 60 seconds by Jon Jones? huehueheheeuehe

Kind of a vague question, but I want to leave it open-ended to see what other people have to say. I'll post my own opinion if / when the thread picks up pace. :icon_evil

The smaller fighters are at the level of athletes in other sports .

The bigger fighters in general are not.

The reason?

The smaller fighters rely on weight classes in UFC which is something that doesn't exist in Football, Basketball for instance. Size matters a lot in those sports. There is no P4P anything ... it's just who is the best and the best is normally big guys.

So ... because it is hard for skillful but small athletes to get into those sports due to their physical disadvantages ... the elite can come into MMA.

But for the elite athletes who are also big and strong ... they rather go to the sports that pays them more money guaranteed. Hence why Jon Jones' two bothers are in the NFL instead of in the UFC.

Getting a LHW, HW athlete that is as naturally gifted as Jones or Brock Lesnar is a rarity.

Can any MMA fighter throw a 70 yard pass to a guy running 25 miles an hour while being hounded by another guy running 6 inches from him? I doubt it. Can any MMA fighter stop a 275lb guy running at his QB and prevent that guy from crushing his QB into the dirt? Mitrione and Schaub couldn't, so I doubt any MMA fighter could. Can any MMa fighter jump 4 feet in the air and dunk a basketball? 6'4" Jon Jones couldn't.

Different sports different specialization??

Why not compare a triathlete to an NFL player too while you are at it? lol... I'm sure they will look unfit to you too by your measurement.

The UFC pays shit compared to the big sports. The endorsements MMA fighters get are shit compared to those athletes in the big sports get. The social status of MMA fighters is shit compared to those of the big sports.

All this means that the best athletes for body sizes that can succeed in the big sports never end up fighters. To get the best athletes, competitive wages are needed, and whilst the UFC could easily pay the fighters much more than they do, to really compete with big sports, MMA itself would need to grow.

Currently, there is precicly one A-level athlete in her athletic prime fighting for the UFC. Ronda Rousey.

so where do undersized "athletes" go today?

Back