How athletic are UFC fighters compared to athletes from other sports?

Cormbread could not cut it in the NFL.

Not a single MMA fighter could, and that's absolutely true.

How do you know?

Just because he didn't doesn't mean he couldn't have. To think that some of these fighters like Cro cop, Reem, or fedor couldn't have been successful at other contact sports is just silly.

I could say the same thing about the NFL. How many of those guys could have been successful in MMA? Who knows but there is only a select few that wouldn't get embarrassed if you threw them in a cage right now. There is more to fighting than athletic ability. JJ watt is a better athlete than Arthur Jones, but a guarantee Arthur would beat his ass, due to his wrestling background.

You're being very naive. Guys like Cain and Couture would absolutely tool huge NFL football players with no wrestling experience. I mean ragdoll them all over the octagon. Their superior athleticism would mean absolutely nothing. If you'd ever wrestled with a decent wrestler, let alone a high level one, you'd know this.

Your estimation of Lebron's potential as a fighter is equally naive. I was around when Michael Jordan let his own hype get to his head and decided that being the "best athlete on the planet" meant he could quit basketeball and become a pro baseball player, just like that. Didn't work out so well. And I stick by my assertion. Baseball and fighting have a lot in common... except that if you fail at baseball, you strike out... if you fail at fighting it's lights out.

It's slightly more naive to believe that the late great Mark Jordan chose to retire in his prime to go test his might in baseball.

You might have been around, but you were clearly clueless.

It's slightly more naive to believe that the late great Mark Jordan chose to retire in his prime to go test his might in baseball.

You might have been around, but you were clearly clueless.

I wasn't clueless. I know the details. The fact remains he thought he could play pro ball. If you think his plan was to go slum around in the minors for a bit while his head cleared, you're the naive one.

Edit: And who's Mark Jordan and when did he die?

Last edited:
I wasn't clueless. I know the details. The fact remains he thought he could play pro ball. If you think his plan was to go slum around in the minors for a bit while his head cleared, you're the naive one.

Edit: And who's Mark Jordan and when did he die?

No, you don't, and you keep exposing yourself.

No, you don't, and you keep exposing yourself.

Yes, yes. Everyone's exposed. Vague allusions to imaginary wink, wink, nudge, nudge, inside baseball always trumps straightforward statements of well known fact.

Fact: Following the death of his father, Jordan quit basketball for a period and pursued a baseball career. Ergo, he thought being a great athlete would mean he had the tools to be a major league baseball player.

If you have information suggesting Jordan didn't think he had what it took to be a major league ball player and was just in it to hang out in the minors for the bus rides and cracker jacks, or that when his dad died and he just went temporarily insane and brought the Chicago White Sox with him, then out with it.

If not, just crawl back into your troll hole.

Yes, yes. Everyone's exposed. Vague allusions to imaginary wink, wink, nudge, nudge, inside baseball always trumps straightforward statements of well known fact.

Fact: Following the death of his father, Jordan quit basketball for a period and pursued a baseball career. Ergo, he thought being a great athlete would mean he had the tools to be a major league baseball player.

If you have information suggesting Jordan didn't think he had what it took to be a major league ball player and was just in it to hang out in the minors for the bus rides and cracker jacks, or that when his dad died and he just went temporarily insane and brought the Chicago White Sox with him, then out with it.

If not, just crawl back into your troll hole.

mj-laughing.gif

If being a good lineman was all about size, there wouldn't be pro bowl and highly paid ones, they'd just be rank and file linemen. It's not about size, it's skill.

Any wide receiver, running back, or tight end could make that catch, and plenty of QBs make that pass. It takes A-level athleticism to do it. Catching a guy in a choke after he's been rocked by a punch doesn't take athleticism, just luck.

I didn't say any of those guys could make pro bowl or be anywhere near a great player, but if you don't think those guys I mentioned couldn't throw a decent block in the NFL you're crazy.

so it takes no athleticism to catch the guy with a punch clean enough to rock him? it also doesn't take luck to choke a guy out who's been rocked, it takes skill, have you ever even been in a fight before?

Somewhere between bowlers and full-contact hopscotchers.

Back