How are they still ranked?

That's incredibly stupid.

If you haven't fought for a year, okay, fine. You're out of the rankings.

But if you lose a title shot and then lose a close fight vs the #2 contender and that's what you do in a year, you should absolutely be ranked. Don't be fucking stupid.

"or at least drop in the rankings"

Learn to read.

"or at least drop in the rankings"

Learn to read.
...which is literally what happens when you lose. So...uh...what's your point here, exactly? That things should work exactly the way they do?

Great point. Good job.

I haven't even brought up what Aldo did at FW, so that's a moot point.

He's literally coming off a title shot and you don't think he should even be ranked

{<doc}

No, because he shouldn't have got the title shot in the first place.

I assumed you were basing Aldo's career at FW as a reason he should be. If you aren't even less of a reason he should be ranked.

Joe Soto wasn't ranked after stepping in against TJ so why should Aldo be?

I genuinely am confused how you are arguing why a fighter with 0 division wins SHOULD be ranked?

Fighters can keep some ranking even in defeat, Aldo beat Marlon, even if you go with the judges, he still went toe to toe with the #1 contender back then, got smoked by the champ tho, #7 sounds fair.

#15 at WW isn't really holding anyone back

#10 at BW is silly since Cruz isn't really fighting any more, I agree. But realistically if he were active, he'd probably be top 5.

Aldo being #7 honestly makes sense. He's not just a former champ, he's had competitive fights with the top guys at BW. He lost a split vs Moraes and made it to the 5th with current champ Yan. What, he shouldn't be ranked after losing a title fight? Really?
Cruz is barely top 10 in current form imo

They send small breakdowns of fighters to those "media members" also with insinuations of who should be ranked.

Cruz was out for 4 years before getting starched by Cejudo, makes no sense for him to be ranked. For Aldo I guess they're basing it on him having competitive fights with Yan and Moraes despite losing.

Agreed... Even Cruz himself during a recent commentary gig said something along the lines of: "I'm just a regular fighter right now who needs to work his way back up."

Cruz was out for 4 years before getting starched by Cejudo, makes no sense for him to be ranked. For Aldo I guess they're basing it on him having competitive fights with Yan and Moraes despite losing.

cejudo fought cruz? is this a fight I missed? I completely forgot about that fight..haha

The rankings are always really hesitant to lower a once-great fighter. It's as if they were champ once then they are always the same fighter despite losing. Romero is #5 while being 1-4. I know people say "but he was competitive and arguably won" but how many times in a row can you say that before moving on?

I
The rankings are always really hesitant to lower a once-great fighter. It's as if they were champ once then they are always the same fighter despite losing. Romero is #5 while being 1-4. I know people say "but he was competitive and arguably won" but how many times in a row can you say that before moving on?

Same for Cerrone, I think no matter how many losses he incurs, he's always going to be ranked.

cejudo fought cruz? is this a fight I missed? I completely forgot about that fight..haha
Yeah he defended the 125lb belt against a totally drained TJ who had never fought at 125 then beat Moraes for the Vacant 135lb belt and defended against Cruz who hadn't fought in 4 years and who's last fight was a loss. Now people call him a GOAT contender lol.

Yeah he defended the 125lb belt against a totally drained TJ who had never fought at 125 then beat Moraes for the Vacant 135lb belt and defended against Cruz who hadn't fought in 4 years and who's last fight was a loss. Now people call him a GOAT contender lol.
Well yeah and no. To win DJ, TJ, Moraes and Cruz in a row is still a very impressive achievement, especially as those were title fights and defences in 2 weight classes. He’s got a solid case for top10 GOAT

How the fuck is Iaquinta still ranked?

Because opinion based rankings are imperfect systems, and name recognition appears to be especially heavily weighted in this sport.

I mean, my answer seems obvious. Was it a rhetorical question?

There should be a strict rule. If you haven't fought or won in a year ... you are off the rankings or at least drop in the rankings.

I am not 100% how Tennis works but I am pretty sure they have something like that in place.

Listening to ESPN, you see that the number 1 player in the world sometimes loses their ranking for not being active.

The way it is now, the rankings isn't based on objective facts but rather just subjective opinions.
the 'objective' rankings would have someone like anderson silva way down on an all time list, whereas subjectively anyone would him top 5 at least

I haven't even brought up what Aldo did at FW, so that's a moot point.

He's literally coming off a title shot and you don't think he should even be ranked

{<doc}
Why would someone who has never won a fight in that weight class be ranked in that weight class?

Why would someone who has never won a fight in that weight class be ranked in that weight class?

I can see why rankings would only look at W's and L's. No more analysis, no less. With this perspective, close losses are the same as dominating losses.

I can also see why rankings would look at Aldo's virtual draw with Moraes and conclude he's a top 5 or top 10 fighter at that weight class.

These two perspectives about MMA rankings have been debated since there were MMA rankings.

TLDR: there is no spoon.

Back