How are they still ranked?

GOATtalks

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Aldo is #7 at BW with a 0-2 record there, has lost his last 3 fights and his last win came in almost 2 years ago.

Cruz at #10 in BW. He’s 0-2 in last 4 years!!!

Lawler #15 at WW. 0-4 in last 3 years.

I get the respect to former champs, but the rankings should represent the current situation. They are holding up their division, not letting the hot new active prospects to get a number next to their name

#15 at WW isn't really holding anyone back

#10 at BW is silly since Cruz isn't really fighting any more, I agree. But realistically if he were active, he'd probably be top 5.

Aldo being #7 honestly makes sense. He's not just a former champ, he's had competitive fights with the top guys at BW. He lost a split vs Moraes and made it to the 5th with current champ Yan. What, he shouldn't be ranked after losing a title fight? Really?

There should be a strict rule. If you haven't fought or won in a year ... you are off the rankings or at least drop in the rankings.

I am not 100% how Tennis works but I am pretty sure they have something like that in place.

Listening to ESPN, you see that the number 1 player in the world sometimes loses their ranking for not being active.

The way it is now, the rankings isn't based on objective facts but rather just subjective opinions.

We have seen much worse to be honest, because you could at least argue that those guys have at least been active.

Lawler's ranking has been going down steadily (as it should have), so I don't have a problem with that. Aldo has a super close fight with Moraes who was #1 I believe at the time they fought, so it makes some sense that he would be ranked not too low.

Cruz is debatable but so what? Rankings are worth relatively little when you are a marquee name. It's not like he got to fight Cejudo because of his ranking.

Cruz was out for 4 years before getting starched by Cejudo, makes no sense for him to be ranked. For Aldo I guess they're basing it on him having competitive fights with Yan and Moraes despite losing.

There should be a strict rule. If you haven't fought or won in a year ... you are off the rankings or at least drop in the rankings.

I am not 100% how Tennis works but I am pretty sure they have something like that in place.

Listening to ESPN, you see that the number 1 player in the world sometimes loses their ranking for not being active.

The way it is now, the rankings isn't based on objective facts but rather just subjective opinions.

In tennis ranking points last for a year so your constantly losing whatever you held a year before.

MMA rankings did used to follow this model somewhat more but as the UFC became more dominant they've switched towards established fighters staying ranked for longer without good results.

#15 at WW isn't really holding anyone back

#10 at BW is silly since Cruz isn't really fighting any more, I agree. But realistically if he were active, he'd probably be top 5.

Aldo being #7 honestly makes sense. He's not just a former champ, he's had competitive fights with the top guys at BW. He lost a split vs Moraes and made it to the 5th with current champ Yan. What, he shouldn't be ranked after losing a title fight? Really?
Yes. Losing fights should not grant you a spot in the rankings, he has 0 wins in the division.
Max wasn’t ranked at LW after fighting Dustin for IC

Aldo is #7 at BW with a 0-2 record there, has lost his last 3 fights and his last win came in almost 2 years ago.

I get the respect to former champs, but the rankings should represent the current situation. They are holding up their division, not letting the hot new active prospects to get a number next to their name

Aside from winning and how good you are right now there are other factors for UFC rankings. How are you doing on social media. What are you doing or what have you done for the company. What are you willing to do for the company. How nice are you to Dana and how willing are you to work with him and do what he wants. You get the idea.

That's incredibly stupid.

If you haven't fought for a year, okay, fine. You're out of the rankings.

But if you lose a title shot and then lose a close fight vs the #2 contender and that's what you do in a year, you should absolutely be ranked. Don't be fucking stupid.

Yes. Losing fights should not grant you a spot in the rankings, he has 0 wins in the division.
Max wasn’t ranked at LW after fighting Dustin for IC
Max also didn't stay at LW, so that's a really stupid example.

People don't get pulled from the rankings for losing a title fight.

Are you really this stupid?

That's incredibly stupid.

If you haven't fought for a year, okay, fine. You're out of the rankings.

But if you lose a title shot and then lose a close fight vs the #2 contender and that's what you do in a year, you should absolutely be ranked. Don't be fucking stupid.

But he hasn't won a fight in the division. It's not stupid to suggest that someone who hasn't won a fight in the division shouldn't be ranked. Regardless of what Aldo accomplished at FW.

Rankings are just a marketing ploy to help push fights. People see a number by the name and they expect more. Letting big names hang on to their useless number by their name is just part for the course.

Level of competition they lost to, these are exclusive spots reserved for people who beat someone with a name

He got into the rankings by losing to Moraes. Are you that stupid?
It was a close fight. Believe it or not, being competitive counts for something.

And he lost to the champ Yan in the 5th round.

Are you stupid?

But he hasn't won a fight in the division. It's not stupid to suggest that someone who hasn't won a fight in the division shouldn't be ranked. Regardless of what Aldo accomplished at FW.
I haven't even brought up what Aldo did at FW, so that's a moot point.

He's literally coming off a title shot and you don't think he should even be ranked

{<doc}

Back