How are fighters "big" for their weight class?

flamingredhead

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok so i always read on here how there are fighters in weight classes below heavy weight that are "big" for their weight class. So from what ive taken in people say they are big because they cut like 30lbs to get to the weight they fight at. But when they step on that scale they weigh the same as the man they are about to fight. everyone talks about how much bigger the other guy comes into the fight. How is this possible if they both weigh the same 1 day before??? I feel at the MOST these guys will gain back in a day is MAYBE 10lbs if that. So how do you have a size advantage? why not fight at a more comfortable natural weight?

at fight time some weigh more than others, those that weigh more are big for their weight class

at fight time some weigh more than others, those that weigh more are big for their weight class

yes but both fighters are gonna gain some weight back so what are they both big for their weight class? like i said i seriously doubt they gain any more than 10lbs back in one day. so if anything maybe the "bigger" guy has 5lbs on the other.

If you cut 7 pounds to make 185 and I cut 30, chances are by fight time I'll be the bigger guy.

See, you have these 2 guys right. And one of these guys is bigger than the other one. Ok, that one guy, thats bigger than the other guy. He is going to be the bigger guy. Every time.

Really...
Alves weighs in at 170ish and then 24hrs later before the fight hes close to 200lbs.
Some cut more weight than others. Thats common knowledge. If you cut more weight than the average fighter in your class then you would be considered big for your class.

yes but both fighters are gonna gain some weight back so what are they both big for their weight class? like i said i seriously doubt they gain any more than 10lbs back in one day. so if anything maybe the "bigger" guy has 5lbs on the other.

Some guys can put 25+lbs back on ...

As for the " big for his weight class " statement , it is very obvious than some of them are .

What about Anthony Johnson who looked bigger than Maia ?
What about Alves compared to Hazelett ??
What about Anderson Silva who looked the almost same than Forrest Griffin who was considered the biggest LHW ( prior to Jon Jones ) ???
It's pretty obvious than Rich Franklin or Okami are much much bigger than let's say someone like Akiyama who is by UFC's standards WW ..

ps : you can cut and put back on around 15% of your bodyweight with "weigh ins" the day before with good knowledge and post weigh ins rehydratation ...

ps : you can cut and put back on around 15% of your bodyweight with "weigh ins" the day before with good knowledge and post weigh ins rehydratation ...

Exactly. Professional fighters can also get professional medical help in rehydrating. I'd be surprised if any UFC caliber fighters weren't getting fluids intravenously within an hour of weigh in.

As for the " big for his weight class " statement , it is very obvious than some of them are .

What about Anthony Johnson who looked bigger than Maia ?
What about Alves compared to Hazelett ??
What about Anderson Silva who looked the almost same than Forrest Griffin who was considered the biggest LHW ( prior to Jon Jones ) ???
It's pretty obvious than Rich Franklin or Okami are much much bigger than let's say someone like Akiyama who is by UFC's standards WW ..

and that right there is what i wanted to know! i didnt know if it was possible to eat and drink that much in one day and put that weight back on. but as for looking bigger like alves to hazelett bigger muscles also make you look bigger then someone else.

They can't cut that much weight, at best they can dehydrate 6-8% of their bodyweight and that will hit their performance and strength.

Cutting weight is extremely overrated.

They also don't take into account guys like Anthony Johnson and Tito Ortiz who have 95% of their body weight in their upper bodies. The tooth pick legs are concealed by the shorts, but they are not fooling me.

How is this possible if they both weigh the same 1 day before??? I feel at the MOST these guys will gain back in a day is MAYBE 10lbs if that. So how do you have a size advantage? why not fight at a more comfortable natural weight?

It is very normal to gain back around 20lbs in less than 24 hours even in the lower weight classes. Now compare a guy like Mark Munoz who posted a picture on twitter that showed him at 205 or 206 less than 24 hours after the weigh in (at 185) to a guy like Akiyama who looks like he cuts maybe 5-8 lbs.

They also don't take into account guys like Anthony Johnson and Tito Ortiz who have 95% of their body weight in their upper bodies. The tooth pick legs are concealed by the shorts, but they are not fooling me.

Tito even said that his skinny legs were the only reason he could fit in under then 205 limit.

Anyway - what does weight cutting have to do with strength and conditioning? It's marginally relevant I guess if you're a bodybuilder, but that is a forbidden topic here...

It is very normal to gain back around 20lbs in less than 24 hours even in the lower weight classes. Now compare a guy like Mark Munoz who posted a picture on twitter that showed him at 205 or 206 less than 24 hours after the weigh in (at 185) to a guy like Akiyama who looks like he cuts maybe 5-8 lbs.

Tito even said that his skinny legs were the only reason he could fit in under then 205 limit.

Anyway - what does weight cutting have to do with strength and conditioning? It's marginally relevant I guess if you're a bodybuilder, but that is a forbidden topic here...

Didn't know bodybuilders cut weight hhmm. It's an mma site and mma fighters cut weight. Maybe more apropriate for D&S.

Back