How are barbells made?

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was looking at some pictures on the Pendlay website and couldn't figure out how the collars attach to the bar.

Most cheap bars have a socket-head screw at each end, which I assume screws into the bar to secure the collars. What about higher end bars?

Here are the pictures I was talking about:

bar1large.jpg

^^^ Are those ends threaded? If they are, then a cap could just go on the end.
I see a slot for a snap ring as well. That can't be the only thing holding the collars on? I guess there isn't much axial load to worry about.

bar2large.jpg

bar5large.jpg

The problem is on your end, Baconator. I see them.

Those ends are not threaded.

As far as I know, the retaining ring is the only thing holding the collars to the shaft.

*waits for Glenn to confirm*

The higher quality bars almost always use some sort of snap ring design.

i cannot for the life of me remember where I saw a video of elekio bars being made. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

There is no threading on any of the bars. The HD bars have the sleeves held by a shoulder cut into the shaft and a snap ring. The needle bearing models are held in place by half moon washers that fit into a groove in the shaft and are held in place by snap rings. The Eleiko is fastened in a similar matter, and some variation of this system is used on virtually all high-end bars.

Did you even take the time to check the results?

There is no threading on any of the bars. The HD bars have the sleeves held by a shoulder cut into the shaft and a snap ring. The needle bearing models are held in place by half moon washers that fit into a groove in the shaft and are held in place by snap rings. The Eleiko is fastened in a similar matter, and some variation of this system is used on virtually all high-end bars.

Thanks.

How long are the needle bearings? Do they cover the entire length of the collars?

Back