How about Yves Edwards vs. the Gomi-Sanchez winner?

JoeLogan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a fight that a lot of people wanted to see in the LW GP 7 years ago (Yves-Gomi, I mean), both of them have looked pretty good in their recent fights, Gomi being on a two fight winning streak, looking to make it three, Yves having just recently KO'd Jeremy Stephens (something top contenders Anthony Pettis and Donald Cerrone haven't been able to do), despite losing to Tony "Where's your kid at!?" Ferguson, and Diego's one of the most consistently exciting guys in MMA that's finally making his return to LW, which has been assumed to be his more natural weight class.

I'd like to see Yves-Gomi more, but Yves-Diego would be just as good a fight (though I'd fear for the Thugjutsu master more in that matchup).

No offense to the Master of Thug-Jitsu, but the winner of that bout derserves someone in the top ten.

Whoever wins that fight is along way further up the ladder than yves,I don't mean him any disrespect but he's a gatekeeper at best,he was a very good fighter once upon a time,but his days as a contender are over.

I'd say the fighter who loses should fight Yves.

Since that is likely Gomi, yeah, it sets the stage for Gomi v. Yves.

No offense to the Master of Thug-Jitsu, but the winner of that bout derserves someone in the top ten.

? why do you say that? Gomi's had a particular inconsistent run in the UFC, with a current 3-3 record not all that great, while Diego Sanchez has only beaten Stevenson & Guida .. and that was 3+ years ago

so with all that in mind, why should the Gomi-Sanchez winner get a top 10 LW? neither man has done anything of great note recently at LW, but they both possess some name value ... so I could see either vs someone in the 6-7 position like Jim Miller

I really want to see Edwards-Gomi, and I wish that was the fight in Japan instead of Gomi-Sanchez.

With that said, whoever wins Gomi-Sanchez probably deserves a bigger name opponent so it won't really make too much sense by that point. I'm not especially interested in Sanchez-Edwards, either.

For the record, I'd pick Edwards over Gomi and Sanchez over both.

? why do you say that? Gomi's had a particular inconsistent run in the UFC, with a current 3-3 record not all that great, while Diego Sanchez has only beaten Stevenson & Guida .. and that was 3+ years ago

so with all that in mind, why should the Gomi-Sanchez winner get a top 10 LW? neither man has done anything of great note recently at LW, but they both possess some name value ... so I could see either vs someone in the 6-7 position like Jim Miller

Because there are about 20 lightweights ranked ahead of Yves right now. Sanchez and Gomi have only lost to marquee competition while in the UFC. Meanwhile, it wasn't that long ago that Yves was ktfo by Sam Stout and lost a close decision to Tony Ferguson. Both Stout and Ferguson are middle of the road guys right now.

I think Yves should face someone like Ross Pearson or the winner of Tibau/Dunham.

Because there are about 20 lightweights ranked ahead of Yves right now. Sanchez and Gomi have only lost to marquee competition while in the UFC. Meanwhile, it wasn't that long ago that Yves was ktfo by Sam Stout and lost a close decision to Tony Ferguson. Both Stout and Ferguson are middle of the road guys right now.

sanchez and gomi haven't exactly beaten marquee comp of late either. in no way does the winner deserve to be in the top 10. sanchez hasn't even fought at lightweight in years.

yeah Gomi vs Yves would be great, same with Gomi/Guillard, and Gomi/Fisher, and Gomi/Alvarez. those match ups would be crazy

sanchez and gomi haven't exactly beaten marquee comp of late either. in no way does the winner deserve to be in the top 10. sanchez hasn't even fought at lightweight in years.

Who are the 10 lightweights you would rank above Sanchez if he beat Gomi? Last time I checked, Sanchez did just fine for himself at 155 and should easily be ranked Top 10 if he beats Gomi.

10 LW's I'd rank ahead of Diego: Ben Henderson, Gilbert Melendez, Michael Chandler, Aoki, Jim Miller, Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis, Eddie Alvarez, Frankie Edgar (no idea how long he'll stay at FW) and Miles Jury

that's 11 if you don't count Frankie, but point being all those guys above have done their fair share at LW ... where Diego, what are you ranking him off? what he did 3 plus years ago?

so given Diego's limited resume at Lightweight, and Gomi's average 3-3 UFC LW run, how would beating Gomi get Sanchez ranked top 10? All Sachez did last time at LW was beat Clay Guida, Joe Daddy and get dominated by BJ Penn

**true Gomi's only lost to tough guys, but getting dominated by Ken-Flo and Guida shouldn't improve his standing at the weight class. If you lose to the best guys you faced at a weight class, that seems pretty middle of the road too.

only losing to marquee competition isn't a positive, and everyone Diego's beaten at LW no longer fights their

if Diego can impressively beat Gomi, I don't think that makes him top 10, but maybe Diego should get a chance to fight a top 10 type opponent.

Down for that......if its Gomi vs Edwards. Although, I dont see that happening cause I dont think Gomi will beat Sanchez.

Win or lose I for one would like to see Yves vs Gomi, could of happened in PRIDE and i'm all for any winnable fights for Gomi.

^based off of what? just curious. Edwards-Pearson would be a fun one though

Ross and Yves seem more on the same level of competition

Back