How about Matt Brown vs Robbie Lawler next? Potential fight of the decade

d3vil0ck

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously, both of these guys have been so impressive lately it's ridiculous. Both also had rough spots in their career where many thought they were past their prime and were done as top fighters.

Brown is just on a tear right now - 7 straight and all epic victories. Robbie is also on fire, and even though he lost a decision to Hendricks, I think everyone on this board knows that he is right up there as one of the best in the world.

I know Lawler is fighting Ellenberger and that is going to be great, too, but man I really want to see Robbie and Matt. If Lawler beats Ellenberger, which I think he will, this is the logical fight to go to for the next title shot.

Robbie just had a super close, razor thin fight with the champ, and Brown is ready for a top 5 guy. I say make this match, and book the winner against Hendricks. Meanwhile, book Lombard vs Woodley on the same card and have the winners face each other.

Welterweight is so great right now.. Incredibly stacked.

Here's a small reminder of just how great this fight could be:

robbie.gif

Robbie%252520Lawler%252520vs.%252520Bobby%252520Voelker%252520%2525282%252529.gif

1.gif

Matt-Brown.gif

Matt+Brown+KTFO+Mike+Swick+-+UFC+on+Fox+5.gif

brownmein1.gif

If this fight were to go down, either next or in the near future -

Who do you got? I gotta go with Robbie.. but I think it has the potential to be a Gatti/Ward esque fight - an amazing war with tons of heart. Hope this happens.

Lawler is more technical of a striker and has more power for sure. I would give Matt the cardio edge but not by much.

Lawler is more technical of a striker and has more power for sure. I would give Matt the cardio edge but not by much.

I agree and I think Lawler could find the same body shots against Brown that Silva did tonight and really hurt him. However, Brown just looks unstoppable lately, unbelievable grit and determination to win.

GSP retiring has made WW just crazy.. and honestly, if he does come back, that adds even more intrigue to the division because everyone is gonna wanna see how he does against this current crop of sharks.

Man, a lot of people complain about being burnt out on MMA - maybe rightfully so with the amount of cards.. but I feel like the overwhelming majority in the last good have been pretty fun, and the 170/185 divisions have experienced some serious shake ups, with so many top contenders, that they're more riveting than they've been in years. I really love this sport and can't see myself ever getting sick of it.

lol Robbie would get raped he can't handle that kinda pace

lol Robbie would get raped he can't handle that kinda pace

Hahaha ok. How many Robbie fights have you seen? What was the pace of the fight with Hendricks, over 5 rounds? He looked like he could still go when that was over too. I like Brown but come on. You haven't even been on here a year bud..

So much violence displayed in the opening post. I thumbs up this thread and the idea of this hypothetical matchup.

EDIT - Robbie would need to land a KO punch to win. I can see Robbie hurting Brown with body punches but I can't see him finishing him after them. I see him swarming Brown like we have before but getting locked up and slowed down. The first round would be crazy.

Hahaha ok. How many Robbie fights have you seen? What was the pace of the fight with Hendricks, over 5 rounds? He looked like he could still go when that was over too. I like Brown but come on. You haven't even been on here a year bud..

But he does have you beat by one post as of right now... Just sayin...

Lawler by anything he wants. What is all this Brown hype about. 7 fights in a row in the top org is such a great feat, but people don't remember who it has been against. Let's sit back and take a look at Brown's fights and take another look at Lawler's. I'm not saying Brown couldn't win but let's sit back and look at the facts before we get so excited after a great fight.

I'll say this, if Robbie or anyone else in the top 5 would have connected with those body shots then this fight would have ended way differently.

It's a lot different getting hurt by guys outside of the top 10 than it is by guys like Lawler, Hendricks, Rory... etc.

He should fight Lombard next.

How about, Matt Brown vs Johny Hendricks.

I'd like to see it happen but who has Brown beaten to skip over guys like Woodley, Lombard and Lawler? You gotta beat a top contender to get a title shot.

I'll say this, if Robbie or anyone else in the top 5 would have connected with those body shots then this fight would have ended way differently.

It's a lot different getting hurt by guys outside of the top 10 than it is by guys like Lawler, Hendricks, Rory... etc.

Lol at thinking top 5 in MMA means possessing harder body strikes. What the fuck have you been watching?

Yikes, don't give Lombard any more fights unless it's top comp to avoid any inaugural fatality in the UFC octagon.

If this fight were to go down, either next or in the near future -

Who do you got? I gotta go with Robbie.. but I think it has the potential to be a Gatti/Ward esque fight - an amazing war with tons of heart. Hope this happens.

A Gatti/Ward esque fight with these two I can totally see...............and dam that shit would be epic!

Lol at thinking top 5 in MMA means possessing harder body strikes. What the fuck have you been watching?

I've been watching guys who don't make weird decisions in fights like Silva has a habit of doing against better fighters than him when he has them hurt. You think Lawler is going to abandon body shots and look for a choke against the cage when he has him nearly stopped? Lawler, Rory, Tyron, and Hendricks have 200x the killer instinct than Silva does and against better competition. Silva consistently makes insane decisions against the guys he's fought that are better than him. Be it against Fitch, Kim, and now Brown.

That's what I've been watching.

Back