How about Gregor Gillespie vs Al Iaquinta?

On paper it could be his toughest fight, but it might be Al's toughest fight
I don't see how it would be harder than his last fight against Cerrone lol.
I'm also not sure about Gillespie's 'bonkers' gas tank, he's only gone the distance twice (both of them 3 rounds), and one of those wins were a split decision. Still hasn't really been tested.

Either way it will be a good test for Gillespie. If he runs through Iaquinta that means he's a legitimate contender.

That would be a good fight. Al is a wrestler's worst matchup, and a favorable matchup for pure strikers. I'd like to see Iaquinta or Gillespie vs Al.

- Gregor hasn't fought since January (four months ago)

- Al needs a very serious break to heal and let his brain recover

- Gregor is on a 6 fight UFC streak and just put away Yancy

Dude needs a ranked opponent coming off a win, at this point Gregor has to get a serious opponent.
#6 is not good enough for him cuz he beat an unranked Yancy? do you want him to fight Khabib for that?

Bad stylistic fight for GG. Not a good move if the ufc want to build up GG.

#6 is not good enough for him cuz he beat an unranked Yancy? do you want him to fight Khabib for that?

Did you bother reading my post?

Gregor fought way back in January and Al just fought this week. Al looks very beat up and took quite a bit of head trauma, he was dropped a number of times and needs substantial time to heal. He shouldn't be back to sparring anytime soon, so the turnaround doesn't match up with Gregor.

Gregor has now won 6 in a row in the UFC, 5 of those stoppages. He should fight someone coming off a win who has an appropriate turnaround time.

Did you bother reading my post?

Gregor fought way back in January and Al just fought this week. Al looks very beat up and took quite a bit of head trauma, he was dropped a number of times and needs substantial time to heal. He shouldn't be back to sparring anytime soon, so the turnaround doesn't match up with Gregor.

Gregor has now won 6 in a row in the UFC, 5 of those stoppages. He should fight someone coming off a win who has an appropriate turnaround time.

The problem is that everyone ranked above Gillespie coming off a win thinks they deserve a title shot or a big fight. I'm looking at the top 10 and Al and Barboza seem like the only two who would be even willing to fight him.

Gillespie guts fish with his bare hands. I wouldn't see good things for Al.

- Gregor hasn't fought since January (four months ago)

- Al needs a very serious break to heal and let his brain recover

- Gregor is on a 6 fight UFC streak and just put away Yancy

Dude needs a ranked opponent coming off a win, at this point Gregor has to get a serious opponent.

I agree he needs a better ranked opponent at this point.

He's 13-0 , 6 wins in the UFC and 5 finishes in a row.

He did say he wanted to take some time off to heal after his last fight but he hasn't been very active.

once in 2016, twice in 2017, twice in 2018, and so far once this year.

In a 5 rounds fight
this fight will tell us a lot about Gillespie since he's yet to be tested against high-level lightweights
Al has proven himself against the top wrestlers in the division (even though he's at a significant size disadvantage) and showed that he can survive early wrestling exchanges and stuff or negate all the takedowns in the later rounds.

also, we get to see if he can do better than Kevin Lee & Khabib in the grappling.
and how good is his striking & cardio

and for Al, I think a potential win over undefeated Gregor Gillespie is much better than a win over Barboza
Bad fight for Al. Feed him Barboza.

That would be a good fight. Al is a wrestler's worst matchup, and a favorable matchup for pure strikers. I'd like to see Iaquinta or Gillespie vs Al.

Iaquinta vs Al? I'm taking the guy from NY in that one.

Al should fight Khabib's rat cousin Islam.

Al and his salty coach Matt Sera says he can beat Khabib, well then prove it.

GG is a bit frustrating but I understand his approach. He is a quiet guy with some unique tendencies. He hasn't touched a cent of his MMA earnings, and lives off his role as a private wrestling coach (he is half the reason Yianni diakomihalis is as good as he is). He also is insistent on not taking too much if any damage before he retires from MMA. So he has been happy with his slow ascent. But I think now is the time to get that ranked opponent. I guess Barboza is the only one really available though...

GG is a bit frustrating but I understand his approach. He is a quiet guy with some unique tendencies. He hasn't touched a cent of his MMA earnings, and lives off his role as a private wrestling coach (he is half the reason Yianni diakomihalis is as good as he is). He also is insistent on not taking too much if any damage before he retires from MMA. So he has been happy with his slow ascent. But I think now is the time to get that ranked opponent. I guess Barboza is the only one really available though...

If he needs another name fight that is sitting at least in the top 15 what about Joseph Duffy?

If he needs another name fight that is sitting at least in the top 15 what about Joseph Duffy?
I think he should aim higher. What does that win do for him? But it's not up to me

I think he should aim higher. What does that win do for him? But it's not up to me

I agree but there aren't a lot of guys above him that are free currently. Duffy has gotten some high profile fights (win or lose) and has a win over Mcgregor. At least people know who he is.

Back