How about Assuncao vs Wineland for the next title shot?

XRaided

Green Belt
Reaction score
cruz is expected back sometime late 2013, which means there's a good possibility the barao/mayday winner will have to defend the interim title.

i've been high on both guys for a while, both criminally underrated until recently. was surprised they were both underdogs in their last fights.

assuncao is on a solid winning streak, 3-0 at BW with wins over johnny eduardo, issei tamura and his most recent win over mike easton.

wineland is coming off of 2 impressive wins in jorgensen and pickett.

wineland has a slight advantage standing, but assuncao's boxing is really underrated. assuncao obviously has the advantage on the mat, but can he get it there? would be an interesting matchup, imo.

thoughts?

I wouldn't mind seeing Wineland vs. Yuri Alcantara. Alcantara makes his BW debut this month, and I think he's going to tear things up at 135.

Assuncao is out for awhile due to injury.

damn forgot about that,

i like alcantara vs wineland as well, if the cut goes well i could see him becoming an instant contender in the division.

I think they should wait to see what Menjivar does vs Faber honestly before deciding the next title shot situation.

I think they should wait to see what Menjivar does vs Faber honestly before deciding the next title shot situation.

yeah....but unfortunately, Faber vs Menji has a 30-27 UD win for Faber written all over it :(

Hope Im wrong though

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I just think if Menjivar beats Faber, he deserves to be at the head of this conversation.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wineland vs. Yuri Alcantara. Alcantara makes his BW debut this month, and I think he's going to tear things up at 135.

im just interested to see him make the weight first, he seemed like a big FW and was a LW. That fight with Roop would have been the Tibau/Trinaldo equivalent to the BW division.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I just think if Menjivar beats Faber, he deserves to be at the head of this conversation.

Oh agreed, if Menji beats Faber he should definately fight Wineland if Assucao is still out with injury!

but man, I know it has been asked over and over again, but WTF is going on with Brian Bowles??????

Not only hasnt he fought since Nov 2011 but I havent heard SHIT about his whereabouts since then...no injury report, no time off report, no alien abduction report...

Menjivar's booked and Barao/McDonald are booked. The only possible fights for him sound like Hugo Viana or Johnny Bedford

Menjivar's booked and Barao/McDonald are booked. The only possible fights for him sound like Hugo Viana or Johnny Bedford

what about...waiting to see if Menji beats Faber? Its not like the fight was 4 months away, and Wineland just fought anyway.

A fight with Viana or Bedford would not happen before April at least, like 2 months AFTER Menji and Faber happens, and its high risk NO reward for Eddie to fight such guys after beating Pickett. No way, sorry.

But Shelby is Shelby, so such irrelevant fights COULD happen...lol

what about...waiting to see if Menji beats Faber? Its not like the fight was 4 months away, and Wineland just fought anyway.

A fight with Viana or Bedford would not happen before April at least, like 2 months AFTER Menji and Faber happens, and its high risk NO reward for Eddie to fight such guys after beating Pickett. No way, sorry.

But Shelby is Shelby, so such irrelevant fights COULD happen...lol

Well Bedford is for real. He could easily pose a challenge for Wineland but I know what you mean. I just feel like that'd be about a 6 or 7 month layoff for Wineland which is tough in such a stacked division. He's clearly the top guy under Barao, Cruz, Faber and McDonald. After that top 5, you have a plethora of killers who all could beat each other on any given night. Crazy division.

I'd like to see Wineland in there ASAP.

This is why I hate Bibiano Fernandes' decision not to sign with the UFC. He claimed he would make more money overseas, but how many times has he fought since signing with OneFC, once! Bibiano could have come into the UFC, won his fight against Roland Delorme at UFC 149 and been an instant title contender with one more win.

Assuncao is healing fast and that is a good fight to make

This is why I hate Bibiano Fernandes' decision not to sign with the UFC. He claimed he would make more money overseas, but how many times has he fought since signing with OneFC, once! Bibiano could have come into the UFC, won his fight against Roland Delorme at UFC 149 and been an instant title contender with one more win.

he's fought twice, actually. i believe he was scheduled to fight in the ONE FC BW tournament but he was taking a break from mma at the time because his wife had a baby due.

If MacDonald wins, you better believe Faber gets another shot at the belt.

Eddie is already coming off of two impressive top 10 wins, would anyone really be opposed to him simply being given the next shot? It works out time wise as he just fought and McDonald-Barao is next month. Barao and McDonald have both already been out for some time, I wouldn't mind seeing the winner jump right back in there to defend against Wineland.

Sure, but Assuncao doesn't pose a serious challenge for neither. Weinland/Barao is interesting, though. As is Mayday/Weinland.

Back