How about a zero tolerance policy for missing weight?

Can someone explain me please the purpous of cutting weight in the first place ?

Because from what i saw in MMA, it's nothing but a cheap method to lose weight in order to have a size advantage. I have done Judo competition and always had my -81kg without cutting or diet at all, it was my natural weight so except if I had some fast food,sweets and ice cream there was no way I would be in another weight class.

Can't the fighters stay at their natural weight instead of going fropm 190lbs to 170lbs per example ?

How 'bout no more ridiculous weight cutting period?

They need to start officially determining people's natural weight and division, and put an end to this nonsense. If you want to move up or down in division, you have to give a one year notice, get your weight where it needs to be, and maintain it for no less than six months.

Thank you sir, was about to say the same and even ask to be explain the whole cutting weight thing.

How do you enforce that? Do you spend millions to hire people to shadow fighters 24/7? Do you spend millions on random hydration tests and ban fighters who don't pass them? Do you remove all existing weight classes and strip all champions besides the HW champ? Do you only match people against each other who are at the same walk around weight by chance? How many people do you know who walks around at exactly your weight?

What you're suggesting is like communism, it's pure fantasy that will never work in practice.
How about the hydration tests? I haven't read about them but some people say they work.

How about the hydration tests? I haven't read about them but some people say they work.

They do work, but my question is how do you enforce? Do you follow fighters around and randomly weight/hydration test them? What if they fail, do you force them to move up then and there? So now fighters not only have to watch out for random drug tests, they have to be on point with their weight 365 days a year? Are they independent contractors or are they slaves?

really? I bet if Mackenzie Dern got told she had the choice to move her fat ass up a division or take a job at Denny's topping up coffee it would produce results.

You would trust her around that many pancakes? That is not good business. Would not hire 10/10.

Isn't it currently working in high school / collegiate wrestling? They've taken some serious steps to stop athletes from dehydrating themselves...how come MMA fighters are immune to these same kinds of rules?

Because MMA fighters are not kids in school, UFC doesn't see them face to face 5 days a week, they don't compete for the UFC dozens upon dozens of times a year, they're grown adults, (supposedly) independent contractors who live all around the world and compete in the UFC on average 2-3 times every year, it's absurd to subject them to the same restrictions as high school and college kids, not to mention a logistical nightmare.

Isn't it currently working in high school / collegiate wrestling? They've taken some serious steps to stop athletes from dehydrating themselves...how come MMA fighters are immune to these same kinds of rules?

GSP walked around at about 200Lbs (190-200 according to him) so that puts him in the LHW zone. So instead of dehydrating himself like all hell every fight how about he just fights at LHW? You're making things way too complicated man, get a grip.

Lol at GSP walking around at 200lbs

They do work, but my question is how do you enforce? Do you follow fighters around and randomly weight/hydration test them? What if they fail, do you force them to move up then and there? So now fighters not only have to watch out for random drug tests, they have to be on point with their weight 365 days a year? Are they independent contractors or are they slaves?
I can't answer all those questions but about being on point: Just for 1-2 months before the event. It's nothing dramatic.Until the event you just have to be normal. No eating over the top etc. Is it possible to test all the fighters? No clue.
I'm really not the one to say if it's feasible or not, especially in an environment where weight-cutting is a vital part.

You miss weight, it counts as a loss; and if the opponent (who makes weight) does not accept a catch weight, you pay their show money.

Can someone explain me please the purpous of cutting weight in the first place ?

Because from what i saw in MMA, it's nothing but a cheap method to lose weight in order to have a size advantage. I have done Judo competition and always had my -81kg without cutting or diet at all, it was my natural weight so except if I had some fast food,sweets and ice cream there was no way I would be in another weight class.

Can't the fighters stay at their natural weight instead of going fropm 190lbs to 170lbs per example ?

Thank you sir, was about to say the same and even ask to be explain the whole cutting weight thing.

Pretty much its for mma its for someone to get a size advantage. Now I coach wrestling, and its much of the same but since I'm dealing with kids, the weight cut isn't as drastic. Like somebody like Till should just fight at 185, if I have a kid struggling I'm just going to make him wrestle up a class.

Now some kids do have to cut weight; just for the fact of being undersized, and they get their asses kicked if they didn't cut. Keep in mind these aren't professionals, so there could be a big talent disparity.

Last edited:
This is trying to heal the symptom rather than the disease. MMA needs to work very hard to get away from this weight cutting bullshit and have everybody compete at their "walk-around" weight. Why was GSP the 170Lb champ when 99.999999% of the time he weighed close to 200Lbs? Just using him as an example but it makes no fucking sense to have people do this kind of silly bullshit 24 hours prior to a massive sporting event.

GSP's walk around weigh has always been 187ish lbs. Heaviest he got was vs Shields at 192lbs. Not sure where you're getting 200lbs from.

How bout this...

-If you miss weight by 3lbs or more, or you get hospitalized by your weight cut, you're forced up a division immediately.

-If you miss weight by 2lbs or less on two occasions, you're forced up a division immediately (giving everyone one allowance for 1 small fuck up).

-If you're a champ and you miss weight by any amount, you lose your title on the scales just like in boxing. Your opponent can still win the belt if he/she made weight. If the champ wins the fight, the title is immediately vacated and the ex-champ has to work their way back to a shot.

-If you're a champ and your weight cut hospitalizes you, you're automatically stripped and you're forced up a division.

I think the big thing is forcing people up a division if they end up in emergency because of a cut. Obviously you're too big for the division (or too unprofessional to be relied on to cut properly) and the UFC can't, in good conscious (lol), let you fight at that weight.

No, people get sick during weight cuts. It's not only about discipline and being a professional. Sometimes the body reacts in unexpected ways and there's no way to control it. To strip champions because they miss weight 1 time is too harsh.

But I do believe that the UFC shouldn't reward people for missing weight. Till for example is obviously gaming the system and shouldn't even be near a title fight right now.

For MMA tho ya the talent disparity is closer since these are supposed to be the top fighters. Still though no guarantee by going up, will you maintain the same success.

I don't know I'm indifferent on weight-cutting just cause I did it my whole life and it was whatever. I cut 60 pounds every year, so I was use to it. Although I did it gradually, and never got too heavy during the actual season.

I couldn't as it was a 3 month season with about 20 weigh-ins in between all those. On tournaments we had to make the weight the first and 2nd day we only got an extra pound allowance. For MMA you get what 8-12 week camps, should be more then enough time. Yet they dont start cutting till right before, and they do that so they can have training camp at full strength and not cutting.

I get it but to me anytime you cut 15-20 pounds 2-3 days out is insane. I would totally be in favor of bringing back IVs just saying, but idk I don't have any drastic feelings about weight-cutting.

Like I said I'm use to it and I don't have any problem with it. Still being professionals and Champions; no excuses you got to make weight end of story.

Also lastly some people can just handle cutting weight and some can't, it's just the way it is.

And then Till says no.

UFC does what? Refuses to book him until his contract is null and Bellator gets him at a discount?
yup, pretty much.
they match like-sized fighters to even the playing field then allow them to compete 20lbs above that? logic isn't the fighting worlds strength.
the problems with weight cutting isn't exclusive to the ufc, it's a sport-wide issue. what this means is that if something is to change its going to have to come from the licensing commission so it would have effect over all promotions. realistically it seems like a no brainer to resolve as if you think about it, it's crazy that fighters are going to the hospital that haven't even stepped foot into the octagon.

The only solution is to stop giving a fuck.

Seriously. Why do you care at all?

Can't force someone to move up, that's just retarded. Hydration tests are about the only way to go
Of course the UFC can force someone to fight at the next highest weight class. How is that even a question?

Take massive $$$$$$$$$$$ away.
They already take away a large fraction of a fighter's purse, which when most fighter's only fight two or three times annually is a large fraction of their yearly income. Taking more money than they already do would likely just result in more fighters who know they will miss weight pull out of fights feigning sickness or injury.

What you're suggesting is like communism, it's pure fantasy that will never work in practice.
Communism works great in practice, once you realize it's goals are starvation and mass murder rather than sharing.

Back