How About a 48 Hour Weigh In

Bad Romance

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So the argument against same day weigh-ins is that fighters will try to cut weight anyways whilst increasing the risk of injury and missed weight in doing so. So we're stuck with this 24 hour prior to fight weigh in to give fighters some time to rehydrate and recuperate. So if we're going to accept cutting as a part of combat sport, why not do weigh ins 48 hours prior. That'll give fighters more time to get their fluids, carbs, and rested and will likely produce better performances on fight night.

What do you guys think?

Edit: If it were up to me I'd have a scale outside the octagon and have guys weigh themselves right before fighting. Throughout the week prior to the fight I'd have guys monitor their weights, especially the maineventers ensure they'd make weight. This should eliminate a lot of the cutting that goes on. However if that option isn't viable I'd rather give guys a little more time to recover than just 24 hours.

Last edited:
Why not a 72 hour weigh-in? Or 36, and cut the difference between 24 and 48?

Why not a 72 hour weigh-in? Or 36, and cut the difference between 24 and 48?

Good question, deserving of a real answer. But reflexive defenders of the status quo are only ever going to go "BUT BUT BUT ITS BEEN LIKE THIS A REAL LONG TIME. NEEDS TO BE 24 HOURS"

Hour before is still the best, would eliminate weight cutting completely, or if it doesn't the guys who don't cut won't be at a disadvantage

It actually does make sense.

You've already got people cutting as much water as they possibly can, regardless of how little time they have for rehydration.

Either same day weigh ins or 48-72 hour weigh in. Both make more sense than the current situation, which allows people time to do crazy cuts with a chance to rehydrate somewhat, but not enough time to properly rehydrate.

I'd still prefer that weigh ins were a few hours before the fight, but that's just me.

Good question, deserving of a real answer. But reflexive defenders of the status quo are only ever going to go "BUT BUT BUT ITS BEEN LIKE THIS A REAL LONG TIME. NEEDS TO BE 24 HOURS"

I'd be curious to find out where the rule originated from. I wonder if it was from a Boxing commission, wrestling association (collegiate, not american pro) or some other athletic body just said "hey, it's 24 hours before the match that the competitors have to make weight".

They will try to cut more.

Na, I dont see that as a problem.. So many guys basically hit the limit they can possibly cut.. 48 hours will just be better for everyone's health imo

The one good thing about 24 hrs is it does punish those who cut too much for an advantage.. That's the balance.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Fuck all of these threads seriously.

Why not have 25 rounds with 1 minute? Why not 7 rounds? Why not eliminate the 265 + weight limit? Why not this, why not that.

We don't need anyone cutting more weight, this doesn't solve any problem.

The Same day weigh-in I could see making a difference, but a 48 hour weigh in only enhances the problem. Bellator commentator Jimmy Smith said something about fighters trying to cut more with more time, thinking they just had more time to recover. Too late after a certain point, and one of them died. It was on one of the JRE's with Jimmy Smith, so don't quote me exactly.

So the argument against same day weigh-ins is that fighters will try to cut weight anyways whilst increasing the risk of injury and missed weight in doing so. So we're stuck with this 24 hour prior to fight weigh in to give fighters some time to rehydrate and recuperate. So if we're going to accept cutting as a part of combat sport, why not do weigh ins 48 hours prior. That'll give fighters more time to get their fluids, carbs, and rested and will likely produce better performances on fight night.

What do you guys think?

How about a 96 hour weigh in?

How about no weigh in guys stop being pussies and fight open weight

What if they just weigh in at the beginning of the year and then are good for the year at that weight class?

Would rather they do same-day weigh-ins. People might try and cut still, but it won't be to their advantage, and eventually it'll work itself out.

What about random weigh-ins at the fighter's camps within 10 days before the fight? That would eliminate extreme weight cutting.

Why have them weigh in at all? If they die, they die..

I think while on stage weighing in fighters should have to fill a pint glass with urine to prove they haven't dehydrated themselves too much.

How about no weigh'ins and every fighter-matchup they just agree to fight at whatever general weight they want. Because I'm sick of all this "game before the game" bulls#it like weight-cutting.

Honestly, you're all practically the same size come fight time anyway. Stop lying and just both of you stay hydrated and put on a better fight. Example: Penn vs Edgar 3 and Hendricks vs Lawler 2. Bodies that shut down due to stupid dehydration tactics.

How about no weigh'ins and every fighter-matchup they just agree to fight at whatever general weight they want. Because I'm sick of all this "game before the game" bulls#it like weight-cutting.

Honestly, you're all practically the same size come fight time anyway. Stop lying and just both of you stay hydrated and put on a better fight. Example: Penn vs Edgar 3 and Hendricks vs Lawler 2. Bodies that shut down due to stupid dehydration tactics.

Then what's going to prevent say Machida agreeing for fight Nick Diaz at 170# and then coming in at 215?

Back