Social How 1 man convinced 200 KKK members to give up their robes.ir

Why bother? Do humanity a favor and walk them off a cliff or something...

I don't think its that they feel the KKK is right on some level, even many modern racists distance themselves from the KKK because of its piss poor image.

I think its that conservatives appreciate anti-racism when its packaged with empathy instead of righteous anger. They respond far more defensively and emotionally to the latter, ironic since just a little of the kind empathy they appreciate from folks like Daryl Davis would allow them to understand why some anti-racists harbor the anger that they do.

Bolded, yes, and that's truer than you're giving credit for. Again a solid majority of the largest and by far wealthiest voting bloc freely admit to being against race mixing (when polled). It's a mainstream, powerful view, alive and well, and thanks to advances in modern medicine, seemingly immortal. The branding is more objectionable than the beliefs.

Separate issue with EK. I'm not saying he's one of the people who gets defensive in response to anti-racism (though I have seen him associate the non-Antifa left--i.e, 99.9% of the left--with Antifa). He is one of the worst offenders in terms of not spelling out arguments and just responding to disagreement with personal attacks, though.
To be fair I think that more often than not the claim is that even if most of the left does not support antifa they do not do enough to denounce them the way liberals expect conservatives to denounce white supremacist types.

Even that argument is weak sauce though, it presumes that antifa and white supremacists are equivalent when they're really not. Antifa is consistently violent at protests and whatnot but the white supremacists, today and historically, take it to a whole other level. When is the last time Antifa orchestrated something like the Christchurch shooting or Brevik's massacre?
Bolded, yes, and that's truer than you're giving credit for. Again a solid majority of the largest and by far wealthiest voting bloc freely admit to being against race mixing (when polled). It's a mainstream, powerful view, alive and well, and thanks to advances in modern medicine, seemingly immortal. The branding is more objectionable than the beliefs.
True which is why I don't think even most racists care to see the KKK redeemed.

What he’s doing is admirable and probably cathartic however I suspect he may only be reaching the go-along-to-get-along types. Real ideologues, when confronted with their error, will quadruple down and ride that mistake to the grave. In all though, I suppose it’s good that there are people like Daryl Davis to take their followers away.

This is how you change hearts and minds. Show respect, have conversations, lead by example.

This 1% of society is doing its best while everyone else pisses on each other all day and expects change.
I'm all for peaceful, meaning conversation and understanding. And I respect the spirit of what this dude was doing, but it's not on the sane people to change the minds of the insane. There's differences of opinion....and then there's the Klan.
Considering what the Klan believe and have DONE to black people, it's pretty nuts to go meet a grand wizard , knowing that he doesn't know that you're black. He could have retaliated in some violent fashion

The retards are the ones that need to get their shit together. A Klansman doesn't deserve one ounce of respect. This dude is acting like he's the Steve Irwin for the KKK.

I think eugenic concerns are much more widespread on the right than a lot of the MSM wants to acknowledge. Plus, the view that non-whites are genetically or culturally (in softer form) predisposed to oppose the GOP drives the mainstream right's views on immigration and things like voter ID laws, which exacerbates the problem (non-whites rightly perceive that the GOP is fighting against their interests and campaigning on resentment of them, which leads to the voting patterns that drive that kind of thing in a vicious circle).

I think a very big chunk of conservatives really appreciate when a black guy legitimizes racists in any way whatsoever. This example is particularly heartwarming for them because it makes them feel that the KKK, while somewhat misguided and tactless, are right on a certain level and redeemable. If only the racism could be made more moderate and productive, so it could be more openly accepted in the mainstream.

That's the direction they would like the KKK to take, and for that to happen, it's key for them to have allies among the people they want to oppress. It's a pipe dream for them in the end, but also a wistful notion of what could have been. One can almost see in their eyes a faded but lightly billowing Confederate flag.
huh?
i think everyone thinks he is cool for getting people to quit the KKK through courage and reason.

To be fair I think that more often than not the claim is that even if most of the left does not support antifa they do not do enough to denounce them the way liberals expect conservatives to denounce white supremacist types.

Maybe, but I think that's a charge that is generally made in bad faith.

Even that argument is weak sauce though, it presumes that antifa and white supremacists are equivalent when they're really not. Antifa is consistently violent at protests and whatnot but the white supremacists, today and historically, take it to a whole other level. When is the last time Antifa orchestrated something like the Christchurch shooting or Brevik's massacre?

Also, the target of Antifa is facists, while the target of white nationalists are non-whites. And at least some white nationalist ideas ("legacy Americans," for example) are mainstream on the right, while Antifa is an extreme fringe group (opposition to fascism is pretty widespread, of course, but the idea of dressing up in costumes and fighting in the streets with white-nationalists groups is viewed with near-universal disdain).

Maybe, but I think that's a charge that is generally made in bad faith.
I don't disagree there.
Also, the target of Antifa is facists, while the target of white nationalists are non-whites. And at least some white nationalist ideas ("legacy Americans," for example) are mainstream on the right, while Antifa is an extreme fringe group (opposition to fascism is pretty widespread, of course, but the idea of dressing up in costumes and fighting in the streets with white-nationalists groups is viewed with near-universal disdain).
I agree mostly except I'd like to point out that antifa can be quite, well, let's say liberal with who they define as fascist. They're as bad as some right wingers who accuse anyone they don't like of being fascists.

Antifa is pretty fringe but seems to be gaining traction among young student activist types since 2016. They've been around for a while but if you look at the crowd for their Obama protest its nothing like what you might see today.

I don't disagree there.

I agree mostly except I'd like to point out that antifa can be quite, well, let's say liberal with who they define as fascist. They're as bad as some right wingers who accuse anyone they don't like of being fascists.

Antifa is pretty fringe but seems to be gaining traction among young student activist types since 2016. They've been around for a while but if you look at the crowd for their Obama protest its nothing like what you might see today.

Yeah, I agree with this addition.

I'm all for peaceful, meaning conversation and understanding. And I respect the spirit of what this dude was doing, but it's not on the sane people to change the minds of the insane. There's differences of opinion....and then there's the Klan.
Considering what the Klan believe and have DONE to black people, it's pretty nuts to go meet a grand wizard , knowing that he doesn't know that you're black. He could have retaliated in some violent fashion

The retards are the ones that need to get their shit together. A Klansman doesn't deserve one ounce of respect. This dude is acting like he's the Steve Irwin for the KKK.

Yeah, I don't know. It worked. He changed more hearts than twitter has in its entire 11 quadrillion post history.

People do crazy shit all the time. Look at prison guards... they're completely vulnerable. Might as well be naked in the woods of Siberia hoping the mosquitoes don't bite that night. Why do they do this? For the greater good? Idk, people are crazy. We revere soldiers who do crazy shit too.

Anyhoo. All I'm saying is that his general approach will work 11.744 quadrillion times more often than throwing runny turds at people.

Yeah, I don't know. It worked. He changed more hearts than twitter has in its entire 11 quadrillion post history.

People do crazy shit all the time. Look at prison guards... they're completely vulnerable. Might as well be naked in the woods of Siberia hoping the mosquitoes don't bite that night. Why do they do this? For the greater good? Idk, people are crazy. We revere soldiers who do crazy shit too.

Anyhoo. All I'm saying is that his general approach will work 11.744 quadrillion times more often than throwing runny turds at people.
I get what you're saying, but i think you're trying to conflate two very different things.
There's the KKK and black people, and then there's liberals and conservatives.
If you think I'm little more than a talking monkey then it's a waste of time to try and change your mind, AND risk my safety doing it. You said "it worked", it only takes 1 time to "not work", and a good dude is gone.
Nothing negative on this guy, but I would find better uses of my time and energy, and work with people less far gone. If you're in the KKK in 2019...what's there to say?

The KKK and black people are not two sides with good points, or just have a different way of looking at the world. There is a clear right and wrong here.
As far as the right and left goes, obviously this would be a better way of communicating than the current climate of demonizing and misconstruing the ideas and beliefs of the opposing party.
I don't see Twitter as the issue. It could be a useful tool if it wasn't abused.
The attention seeking and quest for likes and retweets often buries the substance

I get what you're saying, but i think you're trying to conflate two very different things.
There's the KKK and black people, and then there's liberals and conservatives.
If you think I'm little more than a talking monkey then it's a waste of time to try and change your mind, AND risk my safety doing it. You said "it worked", it only takes 1 time to "not work", and a good dude is gone.
Nothing negative on this guy, but I would find better uses of my time and energy, and work with people less far gone. If you're in the KKK in 2019...what's there to say?

The KKK and black people are not two sides with good points, or just have a different way of looking at the world. There is a clear right and wrong here.
As far as the right and left goes, obviously this would be a better way of communicating than the current climate of demonizing and misconstruing the ideas and beliefs of the opposing party.
I don't see Twitter as the issue. It could be a useful tool if it wasn't abused.
The attention seeking and quest for likes and retweets often buries the substance

I get it. It's extreme, and more than should be expected. But that's why it's a story. If he had calmly changed a neighbor's view on campaign finance reform, well... ok... now I'm laughing.

Well, I believe the issue is that you decided how some one else WOULD respond, and based your opinion / response solely on that. You had a preconceived notion, voiced it, and proceeded to defend it with no evidence.
This, and then proceeded to be righteous and obnoxious about his decision based on his opinion

I have a great image of this guy in khakis jumping on the backs of klansmen now. Lmao

What he’s doing is admirable and probably cathartic however I suspect he may only be reaching the go-along-to-get-along types. Real ideologues, when confronted with their error, will quadruple down and ride that mistake to the grave. In all though, I suppose it’s good that there are people like Daryl Davis to take their followers away.
I think k he legitimately killed the Klan I'm Maryland. There used to be a big presence in Thurmont, but that's gone now from what I've heard. He may be just getting those that are teetering, as you said, but I'm not sure either way

i checked, about 40 did actually protest something where he was speaking. retards.
ROFL at you being surprised to learn antifa are hateful retards.

Son, we only told you this about a million times.

Back