Social How 1 man convinced 200 KKK members to give up their robes.ir

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by squeezewax, Sep 9, 2019.

1. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

Here is a guy who is trying to do good in the world and break down racism yet antifa are calling him a white supremacist for doing so!

Wikipedia explains part of his story as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Davis

A few years later, Davis decided he wanted to interview Klan members and write a book on the subject. He had a "question in my head from the age of 10: 'Why do you hate me when you know nothing about me?' That question had never been answered from my youth."

In meeting with the Imperial Wizard of the KKK in Maryland, Roger Kelly, he concealed his race before the interview.

"My secretary called him, and I told her, 'do not tell Roger Kelly I'm black. Just tell him I am writing a book on the Klan.' I wanted her to call because she's white. I knew enough about the mentality of the Klan that they would never think a white woman would work for a black man. She called him and he didn't ask what color I was, so we arranged to meet at a motel."
    The meeting was tense. Kelly arrived at the motel with a bodyguard dressed in military style fatigues and armed with a gun. Davis became friends with Kelly, with Davis later invited by Kelly to be his daughter's godfather. When Kelly left the Klan, he gave his robe to Davis, who hopes to one day display it in a "Museum of the Klan".

JSN, fungi, Strychnine and 16 others like this.
  2. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

This is from the first link, the NPR one. This is from an interview.

On his reaction on hearing he was talking a member of the Klan

I just burst out laughing because I really did not believe him. I thought he was pulling my leg. As I was laughing, he pulled out his wallet, flipped through his credit cards and pictures and produced his Klan card and handed it to me. Immediately, I stopped laughing. I recognized the logo on there, the Klan symbol and I realized this was for real, this guy wasn't joking. And now I'm wondering, why am I sitting by a Klansman?

But he was very friendly, it was the music that brought us together. He wanted me to call him and let him know anytime I was to return to this bar with this band. The fact that a Klansman and black person could sit down at the same table and enjoy the same music, that was a seed planted. So what do you do when you plant a seed? You nourish it. That was the impetus for me to write a book. I decided to go around the country and sit down with Klan leaders and Klan members to find out: How can you hate me when you don't even know me?

On what he says to a Klansman

The best thing you do is you study up on the subject as much as you can. I went in armed, not with a weapon, but with knowledge. I knew as much about the Klan, if not more than many of the Klan people that I interviewed. When they see that you know about their organization, their belief system, they respect you. Whether they like you or not, they respect the fact that you've done your homework. Just like any good salesman, you want a return visit and they recognized that I'd done my homework, which allowed me to come back again.

On what the Klansmen thought when he asked them why they hated him

Initially, they feel that if you're not white, you are inferior. [They believe] that black people have smaller brains, we're incapable of higher achievement. I'll give you an example of one. This guy was an exalted cyclops sitting in my car in my passenger seat. He made the statement, which I'd heard before, "Well we all know that all black people have within them a gene that makes them violent." I turned to him and I'm driving and I said, "Wait a minute. I'm as black as anybody you've ever seen. I have never done a carjacking or a driveby, how do you explain that?" He didn't even pause to think about it. He said, "Your gene is latent. It hasn't come out yet."

So how do you argue with somebody who is that far out in left field? I was dumbfounded. I'm just driving along. He's sitting over here all smug and secure, like "See you have no response?" And I thought about it for a minute. Then I used his point of reference. I said, "Well, we all know that all white people have a gene within them that makes them a serial killer." He says, "What do you mean?" And I said,"Well, name me three black serial killers." He thought about it — he could not do it. I said, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy. All whites. I said, "Son, you are a serial killer." He says "Daryl, I've never killed anybody." I said, "Your gene is latent. It hasn't come out yet." He goes, "Well, that's stupid!" I said, "Well, duh. Yes, but you know what, you're right. What I said was stupid, but no more stupid than what you said you me." Then he got very, very quiet and changed the subject. Five months later, based on that conversation he left the Klan. His robe was the first robe I ever got.

3. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

4. 7437

7437 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Did you forget to post the part about antifa? Or was that not actually real

5. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

Not much from this story really surprises me.

B.J. McGregor likes this.
  6. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

Good dialog, with good intentions, can do wonders

7. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

I think that's real. This guy's from where I'm from, same state. Antifa gave him a lot of guff last year iirc basically said he was a racist or whatever nonsense those idiots say

Leagon, GrandNewb and thanoswasright like this.
  8. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot

Great story. Thank you.

Also we need an obligatory dave chapelle photo in here for the lolz.

PoundForPound and HockeyBjj like this.
  9. 7437

7437 Yellow Card Yellow Card

i checked, about 40 did actually protest something where he was speaking. retards.

10. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

Yeah this dude is actually making a difference and they basically are calling him a klan sympathizer.

WARinsertname, 7437 and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  11. Cunningham

Cunningham Yellow Card Yellow Card

They call that 'pulling a Trotsky.'

12. K-Bag

K-Bag Big Beautiful Wall is on it's way!

Damn black white supremacist!

redwire and uppercutbus like this.
  13. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

I’d think just doing the laundry and keeping the color from fading would be enough

14. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Love trumps hate. Marianne Williamson for Prez

Great story.

Props to this guy.

@nac386 I found your new hobby.

uppercutbus and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  15. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Love trumps hate. Marianne Williamson for Prez

16. MMAisGod

MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

I was having a conversation about a year ago and brought up Daryl to someone as a perfect way to touch someone who is racist. I was told that while what he did is noble, now we need to take more radical approaches to send messages.

Those people are definitely out there.

17. El Che

El Che Jefe de Jefes

well, since no one has done it yet,

obligatory
    [​IMG]

I think I remember reading about this guy. Really interesting. If people listen more and are open minded progress can be made just like in this situation.

A.S. Deep, BAKM and Kafir-kun like this.
  18. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

The funny thing is that if he were posting here, a lot of you guys would say he's Antifa because he opposes the Klan. There's a lesson in that.

19. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Great Ted Talk.

20. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

No. Sorry, you are wrong.

You're like that really unhip guy in an 80s movie who just can't learn the right lesson