Hour long rolls with no tap

J

jheers11

Last night me and this guy rolled for an hour long til I finally tapped him....with a helicopter arm bar from guard....lol didnt think I would ever pull that off live. Anyways whenever me and him roll and there is no timer, we roll until someone stops us. We are like such a good match up that neither of us can hardly tap the other out.

I love it, I feel these are the best rolls I get, because it is so back and forth that I get a chance to work so many techniques over and over, and also do it while im fatigued. I wish I could actually do this more often. Anyone else feel the same?

I have one guy that I roll with like that, but most of the time I get tapped so much that by everybody in about thirty seconds.

When I first started, we would set up a 2 or 3 minute timer, depending on how tired we felt. It was mainly due to not being able to roll any longer than that. Now we roll until someone taps, and it feels much better knowing you have to actually win via submission vs stalling for position until the timer runs out.

Haven't rolled for an hour straight though. Most is probably 20 minutes, and it was awesome.

We tend to roll until there is a tap but it lasts maybe 8 minutes max. If I roll with the instructor he sometimes takes pity on me if he feels I'm just surviving and will give me his back or something just to let me get the upper hand but when he taps I still feel like I've accomplished nothing except knowing how to use a move that everyone knows even if they call it a sleeper hold.

I have one guy that I roll with like that, but most of the time I get tapped so much that by everybody in about thirty seconds.

haha yea thats metoo...this is the one guy that I get to roll like that with

Sometimes we'll roll for a while with no intention of attacking submissions. The entire point would just be to advanced position and keep moving.

Never gone that long without a tap. It seems like the guys I'm even par with skill-wise have different levels of conditioning. Guys who aren't too fit or too fat, invariably have different skills.

I've definitely had some good 10-minute "survival" rolls where I was proud to last as long as I did, and some solid 20-minute "all-attack" rolls where I was hard-pressed to hit a submission.

I've never gone a full hour. I've gone 45 minutes once, and a handful of 30-35 minute rolls.

I'm primarily a points guy myself, but my style adapts to the rules change. Sometimes, I feel more fluid in a long match.

variety is the key. Rolling without time limits form time to time can be really good for your jiu jitsu. It teaches you how to really use jiu jitsu even when you tired.

It's also great when you find someone that you are very close to skill level in. I feel aloty of my best rolls are with guys that are very close to my skill level..guys you have to be sharp againt but will catch you if you mess up.

I would not waste my time doing that. it makes no sense when you can just GnP him.

I would not waste my time doing that. it makes no sense when you can just GnP him.

haha yes i would like to do that considering I am more of a points guy myself..Im someone who does good in a lot of 2 min or 3 min rolls and I usually keep good position but after my first tourney I found out im not really good at finishing. So now Im really working on trying to submit and finish my training partner too so that I can do it if i need to. I seemed to before always work position, position position...but now im just really starting to add some submission to my game. I think thats what made for such a long roll also, because I actually attempted submissions and lost them and ended up on bottom...this kept happening over and over so it really taught me a lot cause usually on timed rolls I can just keep my good position till the timer goes off and then I win...

I had a roll like that with a guy from Gracie Barra Orlando while I was down there. A little over an hour, lots of back and forth from position to position. He ended up getting me in a triangle eventually. Only time I've ever felt relieved to get triangled.

Back