Hopkins vs Smith

http://www.boxinginsider.com/almanac/uniform-rules-from-association-of-boxing-commissions/

9. A boxer shall receive a twenty (20) second count if the boxer is knocked out of the ring and onto the floor. The boxer is to be unassisted by spectators or his/her seconds. If assisted by anyone, the boxer may lose points or be disqualified with such a decision being within the sole discretion of the referee.
That's true. In this case he was both assisted (up) and obstructed (from re-entering). There was enough confusion and interference ringside to possibly get a NC if they so chose.

That would be a useful precedent to prevent this type of interference from happening in the near future.

If Hopkins was in the wrong alone, for being assisted, then the referee should have DQ'd him rather than awarding a TKO loss.

<{yearp}>

Kind of a weird rule. Not everyone ringside would have that intimate knowledge of the rules (how often does this even come up?) and helping a guy who just flew out of the ring onto his ass seems like it would be a natural reaction.

Rule should be: if you're entire body is removed from the ring as the result of a punch, you lose and have to do your post fight press interviews from a Sizzler.

Tbf to Hopkins, he'd just taken 5 clean shots and been knocked out the ring, hitting his head on the floor on the way down. It was a legtimate KO but his senses must have been absolutely scrambled so I'm not holding his immediate post match comments against him. Although If he continues trying to perpetuate that Smith pushed him then I'll be critical.

Saw the highlights and ko.

Lol at Hopkins claiming he got pushed.

"I'll never lose to a white boy!" 3 out of 4 last defeats have been white boys.

Jokes aside, amazing career from B-Hop, first ballot HOFer.

Saw the highlights and ko.

Lol at Hopkins claiming he got pushed.

"I'll never lose to a white boy!" 3 out of 4 last defeats have been white boys.

Jokes aside, amazing career from B-Hop, first ballot HOFer.

Who is that in your avatar?

Boxing's way of telling BH it's time walk away from the ring lol.

As a big fan of Hopkins, I'm not surprised with his reaction to this. He's never been good at accepting a loss, that's just who he is (regardless of whether his ankle was fucked which it could have been, that doesn't change the fact that it was fucked because he legitimately knocked through the ropes). It would have been interesting to see if he could have beaten the count if he wasn't knocked out of the ring, but, honestly, there really wasn't much reason to be fighting at 51, let alone fighting a legitimate puncher after a 2+ year layoff. His ego kept bringing him back, and it nearly got him severely injured.

As for Smith, he's not much more than a puncher, but he's a threat to most LHWs. He should lose to the genuine top LHWs, but he'll be a live opponent for at least a few rounds against most of them. Barrera/Smith makes sense. lol at people calling for him to be fighter of the year, though.

Gotta think his brain was pretty rattled from the punches and landing head first on the ground after getting knocked through the ropes.. I'm not surprised he doesn't seem to have a recollection of how it went down. Hell, this reminds me of Alistair Overeem claiming he felt a tap in his last fight after getting KO'd..

Back