Hopkins vs. Calzaghe,does Bernard defy the odds?

I think Benard's the favorite. I mean look at Hop vs Tarver. Hop didnt just beat Tarver, he dominated him. Something nobody expected. Cal is certainly a step up from tarver, but based on how Hop has looked in his past two fights against very good southies, I think he comes in the favorite.

you are right. The only I thing I see whch will give BHOP trouble is something the last two guys didn't have and thats explosive speed.

Also Cal throws more often then the last two guys. That also factors into my prediction.

I have never bet against BHOP but I really get the feeling Cal's gonna win at least 8 rounds.

PS: Thank you HBO for not putting this on ppv.

I think Hopkins has to make Calzaghe fight his fight. He has to get Calzaghe in close and spoil him. Calzaghe needs to fight smart, he needs to stay just out range and throw flurries of punches. If he does that then I see him taking the decision. If he takes Hopkins on then he'll lose a decision. A younger Calzaghe probably would have tried to beat Hopkins at his own game but I think he's mature enough now to stay away. Calzaghe by 3-4 rounds.

I have absolutely no love for Calzaghe, but I hope he just drubs Hopkins for 12 rounds before stopping him with about nine seconds left in the fight.

I'm sure the same old thing will happen, though.

Hopkins will come out for seven rounds and do absolutely nothing but sit in his shell and throw jabs and hooks that get mostly blocked. He'll try to turn it up for the last five rounds, win some of them, lose some of them, then instantly start whining about losing the decision to the more active and more skilled fighter.

Hopkins simply doesn't throw enough punches to win this fight.

Hopkins by tko in round 10!!!!!

Calzaghe is not going to outbox Hopkins NO WAY!!....the only thing Calzaghe has going for him is his high work rate. but he slaps alot with his punches and he is not going to be able to hit Hopkins flush.....

it starts to end when Hopkins slips and counters one of calzaghes punches and lands a HUGE right to the jaw....Calzaghe will get up but the ref jumps in when Hopkins has him on the ropes with Joe not punching back

calzaghe wont outbox hopkins, but he'll outwork him.

i think calzaghe close dec is correct, but im hoping that bhop knocks him out (with a headbutt)
only reason? ;keep the belt in america.

calzaghe wont outbox hopkins, but he'll outwork him.

i think calzaghe close dec is correct, but im hoping that bhop knocks him out (with a headbutt)
only reason? ;keep the belt in america.

I think your spot on with the prediction but cant help thinking in the back of my mind BH is slick against south paws and is very smart in the ring

I think your spot on with the prediction but cant help thinking in the back of my mind BH is slick against south paws and is very smart in the ring

Isn't B-Hop undefeated againsat southpaws or have I just completely made this up in my head?

Cal is better than Taylor who gave Hopkins fits... so by using some form of shitty boxing math I'll take Cal by UD.

In all seriousness though, the only edge Bernard has in this fight is experience/technique and that may not be enough to overcome the discrepancy in power, strength, speed, age and stamina. But then again I thought Tarver was going to challenge Hopkins so what the hell do I know

Cal is better than Taylor who gave Hopkins fits... so by using some form of shitty boxing math I'll take Cal by UD.

In all seriousness though, the only edge Bernard has in this fight is experience/technique and that may not be enough to overcome the discrepancy in power, strength, speed, age and stamina. But then again I thought Tarver was going to challenge Hopkins so what the hell do I know

Tarver is a clunky fighter. He's hit or miss. When he hits he hits big, but you never know if he'll bring his A-Game or just show up to waste a lot of time and give someone a decision win. AT really needs to get fired up to win. The same psychological defects are abscent in Calzaghe. He always shows up to fight hard and win.

When Calzaghe fought Lacy he had clearly won every round. Rather than play it safe he just fought harder and put Lacy's trunks on the canvas for a count. Most champs would just say, "Meh, I'll play it safe." Jab-Jab-Jab

Tarver is a clunky fighter. He's hit or miss. When he hits he hits big, but you never know if he'll bring his A-Game or just show up to waste a lot of time and give someone a decision win. AT really needs to get fired up to win. The same psychological defects are abscent in Calzaghe. He always shows up to fight hard and win.

When Calzaghe fought Lacy he had clearly won every round. Rather than play it safe he just fought harder and put Lacy's trunks on the canvas for a count. Most champs would just say, "Meh, I'll play it safe." Jab-Jab-Jab

Exactly and 12 rounds of it always makes him hard to count out of a fight.

The thread starter defies paragraphs and readable posts!! :p

Seriously tho I got Calzaghe via UD, winning rounds via workrate.

This is how I see it too, but I think it's gonna be a very competitive bout....really looking forward to this one.

Back