Hopkins' Shield Arm

Good advice, thanks Thug.

Disc. do you use any of the old school methods in sparring? Any interest in adding the shield-arm to your repertoire?

Bernard Hopkins is still that dude to me.

In Traditional Japanese Karate, this arm shield would be considered a Jodan Uke and the counter technique with the right hand resembles a modified version of what they would call a Chudan Gyaku Tsuki. Instead of doing it from a Zenkutsu Dachi Bernard drops his center of gravity a little bit and turns his hip to take up a modified Kiba Dachi.

I'm only saying this because as his technique is being compared to the Bon Sau of Wing Chun Kung Fu and me comparing it to a Jodan Uke/Gyaku Tsuki of Trad. Japanese Karate it illustrates the carry over of martial arts techniques between one another even if one technique goes by two or three different names in two or three entirely different fighting systems.

I think emphases, slight differences in delivery and overall battle strategy among these different fighting arts (and the socio-cultural backdrop in which they all sprang up) are what constitute the separate identities of the martial arts.

any muay thai fighters than use this?

Back