Hopkins' Shield Arm

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Kickzilla, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

Of note, must turn the hips while having the arm out at 90 degree angle.

I can't tell if he pivots on the lead food when he hip turns though, anyone have any idea?

Uses it quite a bit in this fight:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Devonmac95

Devonmac95 Orange Belt

looks to me like hes just turning at the hips to dip his head a bit to the right, while bringing his weight down and blocking with that lead hand. i never really thought of defending this way, its a very neat way of blocking and countering, thanks for posting this man, very helpful video

3. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

Bingo I think you nailed it, a pivot like a hook wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah np I found it pretty interesting, seems to be a different style of philly shell.

4. JeetKunDoGuy

JeetKunDoGuy Orange Belt

looks an awful lot like Wing Chun Bon Sau

5. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

Pretty much how I tech my guys how to defend. Call it sword and shield.

6. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

Really? Shit that's awesome. Where did you pick it up? Btw I didn't know you coached. Are there any nuances to it that are missed in the vid or the discussion here thus far that you could shed light on?

7. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In TMA, it is known as wing chun's bong sau.

8. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

Yea, been teaching 3 days a week for about 2 years now at Gracie MA in vero beach.

My dad taught me, we where watching a Mayweather fight before he was famous and he says to me "let me show you how to really roll a punch"

You more or less have it down, and no you don't need to pivot on your lead foot.

Also we use It as a way to not only stop the cross but also to stop jabs.

If you redirect his jab to his right your left it will fly directly it the line of fire of his cross if he is trying to throw it. Stoping two attacks with one movement

9. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Banned Banned

Doesn't the bong sau extend the forearm so that it creates an obtuse angle to the upper arm so it can deflect the strike?

10. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

I am no wing chun expert or practitioner, but the system is meant to teach concepts on how to maintain centerline and trap... not something totally rigid...

I have seen videos of some instructors showing how to use bong sau'ing to elbow, shoulder roll or transition into another structure. Similar to the videos of Anderson Silva using a wing chun wooden dummy.

11. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

@ Wing Chun comparison I think the Sandy Sandler thread prob. applies more to what you guys are specifically referencing.

I also noticed that the hip turn and level change corresponds well with the tile exercise, couldn't you just slip to the right as per the hip fold and get the same effect while throwing the arm up?

12. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

If that is directed at me you could slip and not use the shield at all. The shield is an alternative to the slip.

Now If your asking if instead of dipping at the waist ( like pbf does)you use the hip fold then yes that is a great back saving alternative

13. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

Oh gotcha I see what you're saying.

No I don't necessarily mean the act of slipping itself with the shield arm, I'm simply referring to the hip turn and the dip and if the turn and dip could simply be replaced with the way the weight shift and hip fold would occur for slipping the jab ala the tile exercise.

14. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

The answer is yes

15. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

*edit for deletion, I totally did not see your first reply to my initial question Thug my bad, thanks for the insight*

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  16. Kickzilla

Kickzilla Blue Belt

Anyone have any advice on merging checking kicks and the distance and timing of muay thai and kickboxing with this?

MT is my primary art, I've been having good success with this in sparring but it's made me slower in responding to kicks especially on the left side of body and leg.

17. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Interesting. You know what that reminds me of? An old school "inside-out" parry and counter.

[​IMG]

Hopkins lifts the punch from beneath with his forearm rather than pushing it away from the outside. I personally prefer a longer block, using the outside of my wrist to meet the right hand halfway, but then again, I don't like to block right hands at all if I can help it.

18. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

And I don't know how I didn't immediately make this connection, but the movement also bears a striking resemblance to what bareknuckle boxers called "barring."

[​IMG]

The only difference is that Hopkins blocks the right with his left arm, rather than crossing over with the right. I like his version better, as it keeps the liver safely tucked away, and denies any clear opening for the left hook to the head, should the opponent try to follow up on that cross.

19. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

With my guys everytime, I show them a new technique they over focus on it and they forget to mind the other attacks.

In this case the best thing to do is no worry about blending it with anything and instead focus on developing your individual reactions towards each attack.

Over time you wont need to think about how to react you will just respond.

20. WillW

WillW Blue Belt

that OLD school stuff is always very interesting.

Hopkins is using the "sword and shield" where the lead arm is the shield and the rear arm is the sword. You see guys like Floyd, Ward and GGG block like that as well.

Those blocks with an extended arms are popular in a some TMA's, its interesting when you see them in boxing as well.