Hope

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What gives you hope?

What makes you hopeful about yourself and the future?

Is it blind faith or is it something else?

If you lose your hope what do you do to regain it?

You're asking a lot if you're expecting guys to open up about their insecurities (even though this is the gheyberry).

You're asking a lot if you're expecting guys to open up about their insecurities (even though this is the gheyberry).
it can be general shit, no specifics. but I guess you have a point.

Remember What-wut, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Dogs give some sherdoggers hope

it can be general shit, no specifics. but I guess you have a point.
I was hugely overweight during my teens and early 20's. This has plagued me since into my early 30's even though I'm not half as big as I used to be.

I have passed up opportunities for sex I'll never get back!! Just though being so self concious about my own looks.

To make matters worse I live in a student town with hot as fuck 18 year olds in pubs here. What should have been the best decade of my life has been a humiliation!!

I don’t even really know how to answer that question. The only thing I can be hopeful for is if I live a good life, be a good husband/father and try not to die young. The only thing stopping me from achieving that is continuing with unhealthy habits.

I was hugely overweight during my teens and early 20's. This has plagued me since into my early 30's even though I'm not half as big as I used to be.

I have passed up opportunities for sex I'll never get back!! Just though being so self concious about my own looks.

To make matters worse I live in a student town with hot as fuck 18 year olds in pubs here. What should have been the best decade of my life has been a humiliation!!

And that gives you hope? jk I can relate although my circumstances are different and somewhat different grievances.

And that gives you hope? jk I can relate although my circumstances are different and somewhat different grievances.
Oh my bad. I meant yes I have long imagined one day when older I'll have none of these issues & be free mentally and be able to bang nothing but 18 year olds. Even though I'll be older.

I gave up on hope many, many years ago.

The hope there is hope. If not, we may as well just kill ourselves. I think its the same reason why animals dont kill themselves despite not having opposable thumbs, shitting/peeing outside, no showers, threat of being eaten, and eating off the ground.

Hope is a romantic interpretation of motivation. It's emotional, and the problem with emotional goals is the disconnect between feeling and reasoning. When we try to reason our way into a feeling, it becomes difficult to go through the motions if we don't immediately receive the emotional effects. "Hope" now becomes a trap.

There are two things that may help.

First is identifying whether you are a negative or positive person. Hope is going to feel different depending on this bifurcation. Negative people will tend to end up perceiving romanticized hope as a trap, and positive people will cling to hope like a lifeline. The big takeaway here is understanding that neither one is wrong. The key is understanding how to motivate yourself, and this is the part where you Google "positive vs negative reinforcement."

The second thing is broken up into two dimensions. Two A is planning for the future. Conscious aforethought is that logical path to hope. If you want to feel good about tomorrow you have to create the opportunity to which you can look forward. Whatever the fuck you want to do, do that. I guarantee you it feels great to do something you set out to do.

Two B is current assessments. Maybe there's something actively robbing you of hope. A mystery. A trauma. A terminal illness. Assess your situation, research into everything you can do about it, for it, and -- listen carefully -- because of it. As you exhaust logical recourses, you will need to also renew yourself at the same time. Strike your balance, whether positive or negatively, between consciously intending and planning your days while revitalizing and recharging yourself.

Hope just means you've got your week planned, and you're keeping healthy.

tldr: don't knock your hustle

"Expectation is the root of all heartache" - Shakespeare

I try not to fuck with hope.

Hope is a romantic interpretation of motivation. It's emotional, and the problem with emotional goals is the disconnect between feeling and reasoning. When we try to reason our way into a feeling, it becomes difficult to go through the motions if we don't immediately receive the emotional effects. "Hope" now becomes a trap.

There are two things that may help.

First is identifying whether you are a negative or positive person. Hope is going to feel different depending on this bifurcation. Negative people will tend to end up perceiving romanticized hope as a trap, and positive people will cling to hope like a lifeline. The big takeaway here is understanding that neither one is wrong. The key is understanding how to motivate yourself, and this is the part where you Google "positive vs negative reinforcement."

The second thing is broken up into two dimensions. Two A is planning for the future. Conscious aforethought is that logical path to hope. If you want to feel good about tomorrow you have to create the opportunity to which you can look forward. Whatever the fuck you want to do, do that. I guarantee you it feels great to do something you set out to do.

Two B is current assessments. Maybe there's something actively robbing you of hope. A mystery. A trauma. A terminal illness. Assess your situation, research into everything you can do about it, for it, and -- listen carefully -- because of it. As you exhaust logical recourses, you will need to also renew yourself at the same time. Strike your balance, whether positive or negatively, between consciously intending and planning your days while revitalizing and recharging yourself.

Hope just means you've got your week planned, and you're keeping healthy.

tldr: don't knock your hustle

You are either a genius or Kenny florian.

I don't really have any

giphy.gif

I'm just kind of sauntering forward

I dont have any

But at the same time:

"Losing all hope was freedom"

-fight club

Over time hope has grown in me but I think more as a side effect of my meditation practice rather than something I have tried to do.

I have more hope than ever right now in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back