Hook Question

I don't think Joe Rogan's incorrect.

The kind of ranging hook you'd throw as a counter after slipping a straight, that's thrown differently than a quick short range hook popping your elbow up and immediately down.

With the short range hook that's elbow < 90 degrees some people do pop it up slightly more than horizontal to "dump" the punch on the opponent. It's individual style I suppose, everyone's different

You're thinking of an overhand in your first part of the post. An overhand is very different from a hook.

I doubt its individual style. Nobody at the elite level (in boxing) that I know of throws the hook with the elbow above the fist. There are experienced guys at my gym who do throw it with the elbow up but my trainer yells at them everytime they do. I would trust my trainer before I trust Joe Rogan.

I don't think Joe Rogan's incorrect.

The kind of ranging hook you'd throw as a counter after slipping a straight, that's thrown differently than a quick short range hook popping your elbow up and immediately down.

With the short range hook that's elbow < 90 degrees some people do pop it up slightly more than horizontal to "dump" the punch on the opponent. It's individual style I suppose, everyone's different

Hey, you can come to my boxing class and I will whack you a couple times with a good hook and then a couple of Joe Rogan hooks and you can compare/contrast for the class.

There is one way to throw a hook, if ur elbows up its not a hook. forget the opponent if your elbows up you will hurt yourself

Bas says: "Your elbow has to be below your fist or on the same level."

And he's the man, so EOT

(and every boxer teaches that too btw)

it kinda depends on the target. If the hook was coming down slightly (as if the head of the fighter being punched is lower than the punchers attack) then the elbow being a little above is right. I've been taught it's not that your forearm should be parallel to the ground but that your elbow should be directly behind your fist. If you only work hooks that are perfectly parallel, you're not practicing working different angles.

Back