Hook Question

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is certainly going to be a noob question but here goes...I was watching an older "UFC Unleashed" and I heard Rogan say something about a fighter throwing a "perfect hook" and he described it as having "the elbow above the fist." This is certainly not the way I learned the hook. I thought the elbow is supposed to be parallel with the fist so that the forearm is parallel to the ground. I just wanted to check with some experts to make sure I'm not crazy and Rogan just misspoke......

Im not 100% sure but i dont think Rogan is the person to really side with. just sitting here and kinda going threw the movement, if my elbow is higher it seems to be a bit awkward on my shoulder. If i landed on that angle i could see some pretty bad shoulder problems. then again im fairly new so ive only learnt the "standard" way to throw it like you, Elbow parallel with fist.

My formal training says Rogan misspoke. I just do muay thai though so maybe someone with some real boxing experience could chime in. I have been taught by Samart though who is far from a slouch in the hand department and then a few other boxing instructors so what knowledge I have I think is sound and correct.

My formal training says Rogan misspoke. I just do muay thai though so maybe someone with some real boxing experience could chime in. I have been taught by Samart though who is far from a slouch in the hand department and then a few other boxing instructors so what knowledge I have I think is sound and correct.

You go to any decent boxing gym and throw a hook with the elbow up you're gonna get cracked in the ribs.

If the elbow is above the wrist you lose power. when you connect the elbow will rise up further, It should be straight driving the fist further into your mans head.imagine a baseball bat being driven butt first into someones head, nasty. put one end higher then the other, far less effective.

He must have misspoke or perhaps you misunderstood. When you flair your elbow up you lose all your power and leave yourself open to all sorts of nasty counters.

Hi guys, this is certainly going to be a noob question but here goes...I was watching an older "UFC Unleashed" and I heard Rogan say something about a fighter throwing a "perfect hook" and he described it as having "the elbow above the fist." This is certainly not the way I learned the hook. I thought the elbow is supposed to be parallel with the fist so that the forearm is parallel to the ground. I just wanted to check with some experts to make sure I'm not crazy and Rogan just misspoke......

Joe must have learned his boxing from Eddie Bravo. Hook is thrown with arm parallel.

When he said that, he was talking about a classical boxing saying "your elbow should above your fist". Thats not saying you flare your elbow up in the air and expose your ribs. Just means your elbow shouldnt be below your fist, which would make the punch more of a swat than a solid hook. The higher the angle, the more power you can put into it.

The only time the ebow should be above the fist is the final motions of an overhand. And even those shouldn't be used to much since it leave plenty of chances to get countered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinksterk
Rogan doesn't know shit standing up.

Fixed

Actually Rogan is a 4x state full contact champion and was winner of the US Open in the lightweight and open divisions...he may be more qualified than a lot of internet tough guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinksterk
Rogan doesn't know shit standing up.

Fixed

Actually Rogan is a 4x state full contact champion and was winner of the US Open in the lightweight and open divisions...he may be more qualified than a lot of internet tough guys.

4 x champ in TKD and trained in BJJ, neither of which use the hook. So, while he might know shit standing up, he still don't know from hook.

His TKD championship obviously didn't teach him shit about throwing hooks. You can talk about how "internet tough guys" aren't more qualified but the fact remains that Rogan is a shitty commentator when it comes to striking (and wrestling if you ask me).

Rogan doesn't know shit.

Yeah of course he doesn't know shit, he only has a brown belt in BJJ and has been actively commentating/supporting/practicing MMA for years now. But you have a 'brown belt' on Sherdog, that MUST mean that you're more knowledgeable on the subject. :rolleyes:

Stupid ass.

Whatever you think of Rogan, if your elbow is above your hand on a hook, you're losing all your power.

I don't know if he said it. I don't know if there was more context. i don't know anything about it. But your elbow should never be above your fist on a hook.

When he said that, he was talking about a classical boxing saying "your elbow should above your fist". Thats not saying you flare your elbow up in the air and expose your ribs. Just means your elbow shouldnt be below your fist, which would make the punch more of a swat than a solid hook. The higher the angle, the more power you can put into it.

That's not true. Your elbow can be *even* with your fist, or slightly below, but never above.

I don't think Joe Rogan's incorrect.

The kind of ranging hook you'd throw as a counter after slipping a straight, that's thrown differently than a quick short range hook popping your elbow up and immediately down.

With the short range hook that's elbow < 90 degrees some people do pop it up slightly more than horizontal to "dump" the punch on the opponent. It's individual style I suppose, everyone's different

Yeah of course he doesn't know shit, he only has a brown belt in BJJ and has been actively commentating/supporting/practicing MMA for years now. But you have a 'brown belt' on Sherdog, that MUST mean that you're more knowledgeable on the subject. :rolleyes:

Stupid ass.

I'm sorry you have a crush on joe rogan but if you actually train striking you'll realize how stupid his commentating is on striking. Since when was BJJ the ultimate souce for throwing hooks?

Back